Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

CVG: First party devs instrumental in making PS4 what it is

Sony's big shtick at its PS4 press event was this impression that the new console is a "super-charged PC" built with developer feedback in mind. Guerrilla reveals to CVG that - as a first-party studio - it was part of the consultation process and had a sizeable input in the final system specs."This was the first time we did this with PlayStation, where you get the entire group of core developers together and consistently give very deep, profound feedback on everything system-related, and that's really awesome," ter Heide said.

"The guys who made it are no longer in an ivory tower in Tokyo, [the development has been] shared with us and not just with us, but with Evolution, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, everybody and together we've built the machine.

"I think because it's so embedded in the work that we do, we who make games on a daily basis, it's a gamer's machine. That's the end result of it. I think Mark Cerny said at one point [in the PS4 conference] that it's a machine by gamers, for gamers, and I really think that's the essence of it. They've made sure that all the focus is just on how we can make the games as good as possible."The console's power is only one aspect of the PlayStation 4 that Guerrilla helped design. The new controller, the DualShock 4, was also the result of a collaboration between Guerrilla and other development teams. Each team told Sony exactly what it was looking for from Sony in terms of the genres they were most familiar with working on.

Evolution Studios offered feedback on the motion control aspects with racing games in mind, while Guerrilla asked for the controller to be more suited to FPS gaming. "It's a great controller for an FPS," ter Heide says.

"We've been having these discussions about putting a headset jack in there because everybody should be able to go online and have a chat, and they put it in there and it's awesome. It sounds like a lot of really simple features that we've put in there but they make all the difference because it's in one comprehensive package."For example, there are little tweaks to the indentation on the sticks, where you have your thumbs on them, we've slightly raised them so there's a little bit more precision. They're slight changes but they make a huge difference."

Hulst agrees: "I think it's a big step forward from what we have [on PS3]. It feels incredibly accurate, in your hands it feels solid, it feels really high quality with the materials that have been used, it feels like you're in control and particularly with that feeling of being a Shadow Marshal, this big hero guy with extra capabilities, it's very suitable. And like we said earlier, we've been feeding back on what it should be for so long that I think we have what we wanted to have. It's very suitable for Killzone."

While talking to the two, one thing is clear - Sony has turned to Guerrilla to be a key software provider for both home console and handheld, as well as its new approach to peer-developed hardware.

"The number of hours of feedback we've given on [the controller] to get it exactly to what we want - with the outward curving triggers, the indentations - and from all these different studios doing the same thing, it's a lot of detailed stuff, making games but also making hardware for games," Hulst says.

"And that's great, because since we've worked on it so long and given feedback on it, that's the reason we're quite confident today as a group of developers, because we know where it was and the path it's taken so we know that once it's in the hands of users, of people who love core gaming experiences, that it'll work well."
    Thread jack from gaf.

Here's your proof, Mynd. Since you accused me of putting words in their mouths smh lol.

The only thing that can make me anymore hyped is the launch price being less than $399.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 02-27-2013 at 19:45.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

2. Likes Tetsu likes this post
    The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    This is only good for us. I like what they've done.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    It's really cool how much trust Sony have in their first party studio's these days. They know that the likes of ND and GG saved their arses to a degree with the PS3 by developing deep software tools for a very green system.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    I think it is a brilliant move on Sony's part to involve the developers when designing the PS4 instead of having mainly engineers design the console, the developers know what they need in a console and it is great that they got to voice their input to help shape it to what it is going to be!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    It sure is. And games are easier to make than the ps3. That's going to give them time to be more creative and try different features out and not worry about months of development time being lost if it doesn't pan out correctly. This a is a generation that I don't care that last until 2020(at least that's how I feel for the moment).

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Less than 399? Impossible.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by baho View Post
    Less than 399? Impossible.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    A very wise decision by Sony to go with Mark Cerny instead of Krazy Ken this time.

10. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    A very wise decision by Sony to go with Mark Cerny instead of Krazy Ken this time.
    I could not agree more! No 4D gaming this gen!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Cerny was excellent - spoke well and seemed very passionate (which is great for anyone doing their job - only makes it better). Definitely a lot of thought (not that these things don't take a lot of thought) went into asking what the devs wanted.

Let's hope that pays off.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Elite Sage
    I'm glad development cost isn't going up too much. We can continue to see Sony launch their waves of exclusives.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Actually, Mark Cerny said "from game creators, for game creators." I get the picture though, in the even they stated that so I don't see how anyone can mix it up.

Also, the development costs should be going down because of this, not up. If something is hard to develope for it's going to cost more money compared to something that is easy to develop for. Since this is easier and if they are saying cost is going up, it must not be to easy. In this case the system is easy to develop for so the cost will go down a bit. They might be trying to pave a way to make some half ass statement on why they need said money.

Elite Sage
    If they are making new engines then the cost will go up when they make the jump to next gen.

Depending on what they are trying to do in their later games, the cost should go down.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Sony did a great justice to the PS4 for stepping back and letting devs lay out a list for them and work from that. It is clear that this was made for the devs. Happy devs should equal happy gamers. Win, win situation.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

17. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post

Thread Information