Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I'll be impressed once I get to play the friggin thing. I wantz it now dammitz

2. Likes PS4freak likes this post

maybe but killzone is not impressive it looks like crisys 2 or worst watch dogs is going to look just as the ps3 version with better textures
    i want next gen no cross gen crapp for me thanks

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I'll be impressed once I get to play the friggin thing. I wantz it now dammitz
    I know the agony is killing me!

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by VTEG_PT View Post
    maybe but killzone is not impressive it looks like crisys 2 or worst watch dogs is going to look just as the ps3 version with better textures
    Killzone: Shadow Fall looks impressive more so in its draw distance and various particle effects than texture quality. But you aren't going to have truly next-gen titles right out the gate. Regardless of how good the hardware really is, game developers will always need time to better optimize their games. We still have the rest of the year to see what improvements they can make.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Master Guru
    I was blown away by the PS4 reveal. Sony stole the show on the night of February, 20th.

That Killzone: Shadow Fall footage was epic.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    I was impressed by the whole thing... I can not pick one thing out from the whole lot
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Killzone: Shadow Fall looks impressive more so in its draw distance and various particle effects than texture quality. But you aren't going to have truly next-gen titles right out the gate. Regardless of how good the hardware really is, game developers will always need time to better optimize their games. We still have the rest of the year to see what improvements they can make.
    With the Xbox 360, the people that were more familiar with it at the jump were PowerPC Mac programers. Programmers were not used to in-order execution though. And most PC CPUs were single or dual-core, so programmers in general were just starting to get used to multi-core programming. They also weren't used to a unified shader GPU cuz it basically debuted in the 360 before PCs got them.

As for the PS3, again.... a PowerPC at it's heart that only Mac programers were familiar with. And again... in-order execution, which most programers were used to out-of-order execution. Then you had the SPEs which were alien to a programming world that was just learning effective use of multi-core on PCs. Then you had the split XDR/GDDR3 memory they had to deal with.

It's understandable why games on both those consoles at their debut didn't blow you away. They were dealing with consoles that were using technologies that were in their infancy and weren't the x86 based systems that the majority of the world's programmers were familiar with.

The PS4 (and the 720) have no convenient excuse this time around.

They BOTH use.....

1: x86 based chips (everyone knows that architecture)

2: Multi-core (programers are used to multi-core now)

3. Out-of-order execution CPUs (programers have used that for a long time)

4: Unified shader GPUs (programmers used to that thanks to the 360 and the PC world)

5: Unified memory (Xbox and Xbox 360 BOTH had it so they are used to that)

6: Both have 8GBs of RAM (most PC games don't use more then 3-4GB. One flight sim I own will use almost 6.5GB at times with max draw distance and effects on).

7: Both have Blu-Ray storage (they did with the PS3).

So considering how many things the PS4 and the 720 have in terms of very familiar hardware aspects, there is a hell of a lot less excuses why these games didn't look better out the gate. Now every PC programer can get into the game without learning alien hardware. Both these consoles are closed box PCs and not the very unique and proprietary consoles of the past. That's why I'm much less forgiving of any excuses from the programmers and the consoles fans on both sides of the fence this time around.
    Last edited by GreatSpaceKoaster; 03-02-2013 at 23:34.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    With the Xbox 360, the people that were more familiar with it at the jump were PowerPC Mac programers. Programmers were not used to in-order execution though. And most PC CPUs were single or dual-core, so programmers in general were just starting to get used to multi-core programming. They also weren't used to a unified shader GPU cuz it basically debuted in the 360 before PCs got them.

As for the PS3, again.... a PowerPC at it's heart that only Mac programers were familiar with. And again... in-order execution, which most programers were used to out-of-order execution. Then you had the SPEs which were alien to a programming world that was just learning effective use of multi-core on PCs. Then you had the split XDR/GDDR3 memory they had to deal with.

It's understandable why games on both those consoles at their debut didn't blow you away. They were dealing with consoles that were using technologies that were in their infancy and weren't the x86 based systems that the majority of the world's programmers were familiar with.
    While I totally agree with all your reasoning, the funny part is that most developers didnt even have to worry about the CPU ISA or instruction execution style simply because they let the development tools handle all that mess.

It always felt more like an excuse from internet folk as to why one was better/worse than the other.

Would go into mpre detail here but posting from Wii U isn't the best place to do this sort of thing. :P

Forum Overseer
    I'm impressed by the RAM that will be available...if they keep that.

At the same time, I like that they're not going overboard with the power factor...especially the CPU...because there's no need for it.

It seems like an efficient console and I like that. There are fun times coming...I never felt 512MBs were enough...not until I started seeing the limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post

The PS4 (and the 720) have no convenient excuse this time around.

They BOTH use.....

1: x86 based chips (everyone knows that architecture)

2: Multi-core (programers are used to multi-core now)

3. Out-of-order execution CPUs (programers have used that for a long time)

4: Unified shader GPUs (programmers used to that thanks to the 360 and the PC world)

5: Unified memory (Xbox and Xbox 360 BOTH had it so they are used to that)

6: Both have 8GBs of RAM (most PC games don't use more then 3-4GB. One flight sim I own will use almost 6.5GB at times with max draw distance and effects on).

7: Both have Blu-Ray storage (they did with the PS3).

So considering how many things the PS4 and the 720 have in terms of very familiar hardware aspects, there is a hell of a lot less excuses why these games didn't look better out the gate. Now every PC programer can get into the game without learning alien hardware. Both these consoles are closed box PCs and not the very unique and proprietary consoles of the past. That's why I'm much less forgiving of any excuses from the programmers and the consoles fans on both sides of the fence this time around.
    I wasn't completely blown away but if you look at the specs, surely we will be blown away sooner or later. We just have to see the right software by the right developers.
    Last edited by Omar; 03-03-2013 at 00:29.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI

Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

12. Likes GalapagosaraY, mynd , Omar likes this post
    Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post

LOL...

The Square scene wasn't far from what actually happened. =\
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

EPIC! Laughed my ass off. Disappointed he did not include the $#@!ing guy from Evolution Studios. Still magnificent thought

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTEG_PT View Post
    It will be a bigger difference than just better textures lol Try better frame rate, draw distance, AA, textures, effects, persistence (vehicles and npcs not disappearing when you turn the camera) etc. I get what you're saying about cross gen though.

Also expect Killzone to look a lot better by launch. Animations will definitely improve before it goes gold. Those jerky animations of the guy going down the steps won't be there lol

Common sense isn't all that common.

Soldier 95B
    Looks pretty good so far, but waiting for actual hands on. Can't trust the marketing/PR shows.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
    It will be a bigger difference than just better textures lol Try better frame rate, draw distance, AA, textures, effects, persistence (vehicles and npcs not disappearing when you turn the camera) etc. I get what you're saying about cross gen though.

Also expect Killzone to look a lot better by launch. Animations will definitely improve before it goes gold. Those jerky animations of the guy going down the steps won't be there lol
    Killzone will definitely look a lot better buy launch. I was reading last night, and some guys did a frame by frame analysis, they said by the specs of the ps4 it wasnt cranking out near what it had.

They also said KZ was developed on early dev kits and now that they have the final dev kits and a mark to shoot for the game is going to look a lot better.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    Killzone will definitely look a lot better buy launch. I was reading last night, and some guys did a frame by frame analysis, they said by the specs of the ps4 it wasnt cranking out near what it had.

They also said KZ was developed on early dev kits and now that they have the final dev kits and a mark to shoot for the game is going to look a lot better.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    Just like every gen before it, we wont see the best until the end of the gen.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Just like every gen before it, we wont see the best until the end of the gen.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
    It should be a lot faster this time around...there's decades of knowledge on the x86.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    It should be a lot faster this time around...there's decades of knowledge on the x86.
    I think so as well. I just hope they dont top it out after 2 years. One thing that I've always like about consoles is the games just keep getting better looking over time.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I think so as well. I just hope they dont top it out after 2 years. One thing that I've always like about consoles is the games just keep getting better looking over time.
    I think we'll be seeing the same thing... I wouldn't worry about that.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XxRichie98xX
    How impressed??First day!!!!

HI!!
    My babys :
    PS3 160gb slim
    psp 3000 slim and lite
    ps 4
    ID:XxRichie98xX

"Play life,with 100% save!"

dont tell me that cg type graphics are for ps5 or ps6 i will not pay 500 euros for slightly better graphics, i hope naughty dog sets the standard again and that they go ps4 with the last guardian

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    It's good if they do top it out because the sooner or better...thing is, the power is enough for now that they can make tons more games that they couldn't do before...mainly massive ones.

So I think the problem now and going forward from this generation will be that the dev didn't use the power but there was plenty there. We saw that trend with the current gen consoles as well but we'll see more of it moving forward. That's the beauty of closed-box is that once an amount is set, that's yours to play, something sadly can't be done on PC...unless you want to lose out on sales. We all know how much Crysis sold on PC. (for those that don't know, about a million)

i'm glad they haven't messed around with the controller too much.
    PSN ID NapoleonSolo61

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse61 View Post
    But they definitely needed to change to add something to it...it is definitely adequate for gaming but some little advances wouldn't be bad.

I like that it's a little bigger but I'm afraid that it might feel too different...I hope it doesn't feel too heavy...also it will not be good for my 2 year old because he likes to play games too.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse61 View Post
    I think all the changes they made to the controller are going to be for the good, I am pleased with it!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Thread Information