Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Off the top of my head it was probably SOCOM 4, there was nothing "SOCOM" about it. It was pretty much a new IP with the SOCOM name.
    Ah yes. Both that and Confrontation were enormous disappointments. I just don't get S4, at all. Zipper basically had a chance to save their skin and make a hit this gen. And they blew it spectacularly.

There needs to be another thread for most overrated games too

Super Elite
    I have three that stick out, in no particular order. The first is Uncharted 3. I like the game now, but when I first played it I couldn't believe how restricted the game felt. People always try and defend it saying "all games are scripted," but that's bull$#@! when the comparisons are leveled against U3. I loved the first Uncharted, adored the second, and couldn't wait for the third--and it just felt way too "cinematic." I can't count how many instances in the game had me running in a straight line doing absolutely nothing. Then there was the poor level-design in regards to enemies spawning. They'd place you in cramped corners, tight corridors, and offer no means of creativity in how it was you could go about taking out the opposition. Two that stand out are the battle on the shipyard just before Drake jumps to the abandoned ship, and the god-forsaken one where you and Sully start off behind a little slab of cover while ahead of you there are snipers, some guy with rocket-propelled grenades, and some dudes slowly stalking towards you with rifles and shotguns.

That all said, I enjoy the game for what it is now--I just use chapter select and skip a lot of the boring parts, something I never did for the first two.

Killzone 3 is the next one. Killzone 2 was god-damned AMAZING, and remains one of my favorite titles this gen. The multiplayer was heavy, brutal, and tactical, if you understood the flow of a battle and chose to re-direct it using a tactician class. The single-player stood out amongst the pack for its atmosphere and weight. I loved it. Unfortunately, a lot of others didn't, and Guerilla listened to the vocal majority over the loyal minority and made Killzone 3, a neutered, boring, "variety"-filled droll of mediocrity. And the multiplayer had no life to it. It was pretty, but the maps lacked the rigorous and intelligent design of the maps from 2. The tactician class went from being a viable choice in battle to being some dip$#@! who captured markers on a map. The game lost its sense of weight and scale, and felt like every other boring online FPS, save with prettier graphics. I know we've only see a glimpse of the new Killzone, but I've a feeling what made KZ2 so great is gone forever.

Finally, Motorstorm Apocalypse. It's a mixture of KZ3 and U3. It lost its heavy, dangerous, precarious feeling, and replaced it with floaty-feeling cars in a horribly conceived "cinematic" racing game. The cutscenes were terrible. The maps had none of the creativity of the past two games. The "cinematic" moments on the tracks were interesting the first few times, and irritating all the times that followed. I have no idea how they went from Pacific Rift to Apocalypse and RC, and I really hope the series turns around towards its old self, but I doubt it.

So, yeah: those three.
    Last edited by Forcedme; 02-28-2013 at 15:05.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Every first person shooter after CoD4, each more disappointing than the last.

4. Likes RyanGT likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Final Fantasy XIII

Like with previous main installments I was expecting an experience that I could sink my teeth into, be enjoyable for subsequent playthroughs, and last me for years.

But with repetitive, one-dimensional gameplay and saccharine, trite storytelling, there was nothing I could enjoy about this game besides the audiovisual experience.

6. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Here is my list of most disappointing games this gen. Some of these are not the worst games made, these are only my biggest letdowns.

1. Final Fantasy XIII

2. Resident Evil 6

3. Haze

4. Duke Nukem: Forever

5. Two Worlds

6. Lair

7. Damnation

8. Tomb Raider Anniversary

9. Twisted Metal

10. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    I was very disappointed with Resistance 2.
    The co-op was probably the best part about the game. Competitive reminded me of Killzone 3. As in, don't build on what made the previous game great, make many many changes for the sake of change.
    Those of you who played Resistance 1 multiplayer will know what I am talking about.
    As for the sigleplayer, it felt nowhere near as epic as in the first game. They tried to add big boss battles, but almost all the boss fights after the Kraken and Spinner Queen were boring and way too easy, as if they were put there just because first game did not really have any.

Red Faction Armageddon was a big disappointment as well. It just felt underwhelming after Guerilla.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Here is my list of most disappointing games this gen. Some of these are not the worst games made, these are only my biggest letdowns.

1. Final Fantasy XIII

2. Resident Evil 6

3. Haze

4. Duke Nukem: Forever

5. Two Worlds

6. Lair

7. Damnation

8. Tomb Raider Anniversary

9. Twisted Metal

10. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
    Would you say revelation is better? Reviews say the revelations is the best in Ezio trilogy as far as narrative goes. I haven't played it yet

El Presidente
    Resistance. I was excited about this game. I thought it's from Insomniac, I loved Spyro and Ratchet so this has to be good doesn't it? Well I was in for a major letdown because it was awful, dreadfully boring and I am so glad they have dumped that series. At least I think they said they aren't pursuing Resistance games anymore? It wasn't engaging gameplay and I had no interest in the story. Honestly I don't even remember what the main plot was or the name of the character I played.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    I was very disappointed with Resistance 2.
    The co-op was probably the best part about the game. Competitive reminded me of Killzone 3. As in, don't build on what made the previous game great, make many many changes for the sake of change.
    Those of you who played Resistance 1 multiplayer will know what I am talking about.
    As for the sigleplayer, it felt nowhere near as epic as in the first game. They tried to add big boss battles, but almost all the boss fights after the Kraken and Spinner Queen were boring and way too easy, as if they were put there just because first game did not really have any.

Red Faction Armageddon was a big disappointment as well. It just felt underwhelming after Guerilla.
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    Resistance. I was excited about this game. I thought it's from Insomniac, I loved Spyro and Ratchet so this has to be good doesn't it? Well I was in for a major letdown because it was awful, dreadfully boring and I am so glad they have dumped that series. At least I think they said they aren't pursuing Resistance games anymore? It wasn't engaging gameplay and I had no interest in the story. Honestly I don't even remember what the main plot was or the name of the character I played.
    I thought Resistance 1 and 2 did a great job with building mystery and lore by using the intel documents and subtleties in the main plot. However, Resistance 3, while a solid game, did not provide much payoff to that mystery.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    fl0w - no guns, no splosions, no 40 player co op

or if i'm being serious - Haze and GT5

​aka Sparc

13. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Most disappointing games this gen for PS3?

-Lair
    -Resident Evil 5 (I seem to be in the minority in that I enjoyed RE6, but was disappointed by 5)
    -Resistance 2
    -Haze
    -Aliens: Colonial Marines
    -Silent Hill: Downpour (I really liked the game but the combat let it down so much, which is a shame since aside from that, it had the potential be the best survival horror game in years)
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I didn't like re5 much at all. I didn't like the inclusion or coop. It just killed the vibe RE brought to the table. Lair was another huge disappointment for me as well.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Silent Hill went on a downward spiral after 3, RIP Team Silent.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Power Member
    Lair
    Haze
    RE6
    Max Payne 3

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    I cant believe someone said an uncharted game was one of the most dissappointing games this gen.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

19. Likes MartyRules likes this post
    The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Well I haven't played a lot of PS3 games, but MGS4 and God of War 3 weren't as good as their previous entries. Also Heavy Rain didn't quite deliver. None of those are bad games though, just somewhat disappointing.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I thought Resistance 1 and 2 did a great job with building mystery and lore by using the intel documents and subtleties in the main plot. However, Resistance 3, while a solid game, did not provide much payoff to that mystery.
    It wasn't my taste. It was a while ago that I played it so I don't recall everything I disliked. I remember playing thinking I should stop but I kept going believing eventually I would start to feel more engaged in it. That moment never came so I stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopkiwi View Post
    Lair
    Haze
    RE6
    Max Payne 3
    Max Payne 3 really? How come? I only played a bit of it but it was fun. I played one level at a friends house.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    SSX, wasn't as fun as the first 3

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    Every first person shooter after CoD4, each more disappointing than the last.
    Can't say I disagree with this. So many hours spent playing COD4.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Updator
    Final Fantasy XIII was really repetitive and a huge let down. I felt MAG was a disappointment aswell, it had so much promise but it wasn't executed particularly well.

PSN ID
    ZANIACK
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Im going to be flamed by damn near everyone here but im going to say my opinion. The Batman Arkham games. I hated how they played i hated how they looked and i never understood why so many people loved those games.
    I want to agree while simultaneously scoffing at you. Arkham Asylum is one of the greatest action adventure games I've ever played. Arkham City... Is a brazen cash grab. I would probably pick Arkham City has my most disappointing game of all time. The few relatively superficial improvements it made did little to alter its overall mediocrity.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by ZANIACK View Post
    I want to agree while simultaneously scoffing at you. Arkham Asylum is one of the greatest action adventure games I've ever played. Arkham City... Is a brazen cash grab. I would probably pick Arkham City has my most disappointing game of all time. The few relatively superficial improvements it made did little to alter its overall mediocrity.
    Strange....I would pick Arkham City as one of my favorite games this generation.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I was not talking about the story, which I think is great.
    I was only talking about gameplay and how Resistance 2 just felt like two steps forward and one step back.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

PSN ID
    ZANIACK
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Strange....I would pick Arkham City as one of my favorite games this generation.
    So you're complacent with a piece of $#@! game?

So Arkham City, Infamous 1, Assassin's Creed 2(the only one I played), Max Payne 3, Sly 4, and Medal of Honor are games that fell considerably short of expectations.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 03-02-2013 at 19:19. Reason: Merging.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    two worlds the first and second one

These were what a failure
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Thread Information