Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

What was the most disappointing game this gen?

With the PS3 going into it's final year as the only Playstation console on the market I think it's time to take a look back. I know we have had some great joys playing PS3 over the years but times weren't always bright. The launch brought about some great promise but the end result didn't quite wind up so intriguing. There were just titles that didn't quite live up to the hype. *cough* *Haze* *cough* So what do you think game/games disappointed you the most this gen?

For me I would have to say there were a few that stuck out the most to me. As I already mention in my coughing fit earlier, Haze was just awful to me. I couldn't get past the first couple hours of the game. I rarely turn a game off and never look back. I did with Haze. Another game that I would add to that list was Rage. It was a fun game to play but it has to be the most unpolished game I've ever played. For a game that was supposed to push the graphical boundaries, It sure had it's share of flat surfaces that didn't load.

One game that stuck in my craw some kind of bad was Dragon Age 2. How do you scale back on everything that made your IP great and dumb it down to preschool level. The combat was the only bright point to me. It was faster while keeping it's basic RPG elements there. That isn't enough to save the rehashing of levels and atmosphere. I kept thinking to myself playing through the game, "Haven't I been here before?" Well that's because I had just with a different color in the background or the layout reversed. It sure was a big disappointment for me considering that DA:Origins was coincidentally one of my absolute favorites of the current gen.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Battlefield 3.

The game had so much potential and hype. BF2 was great, Bad Company 1 and 2 were even better... and 3 was just a piece of $#@! in every way possible and I hated it

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim
    Black Ops 1&2 i hate the online gameplay.
    The Last of Us, Anime, Rosie Jones

No matter what race you are or what you look like or your sexuality or where you come from, We are all the same people and we are all bothers & sisters so love each other & don't let anyone tell you any different.

Remember you can't choose what you are from birth but you can choose what you want to become.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they are not there we all got to have something to believe in.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Im going to be flamed by damn near everyone here but im going to say my opinion. The Batman Arkham games. I hated how they played i hated how they looked and i never understood why so many people loved those games.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Battlefield 3.

The game had so much potential and hype. BF2 was great, Bad Company 1 and 2 were even better... and 3 was just a piece of $#@! in every way possible and I hated it
    Yeah I didn't get all the hype surrounding BF3. It was a good looking game but the SP was one of the worst shooter stories I've ever seen. The MP just didn't pull me in either. Don't know if it was due to the extreme scale of the maps but I felt like I spent too much time trying to get to the fight than actually fighting. I played it for a bit but never got into it.

I think a lot of the support come from the fact that it wasn't COD tbf.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Call of Duty MW2

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Im going to be flamed by damn near everyone here but im going to say my opinion. The Batman Arkham games. I hated how they played i hated how they looked and i never understood why so many people loved those games.
    I'm going to have to agree with you. I was so excited to play them because of all the great things I've heard. Once I did play them, I was very disappointed.

Sent from my Nexus 4

8. Likes HellsJester likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    AC3. After all the promising previews and pre-release write-ups and trailers, and gameplay vids- it looked to be one of the most epic games ever.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Two come to mind.

1. Red Dead Redemption(bring on the hate!!!)- This game had literally 4-5 missions repeated over and over again. I herd cattle and capture horses and races at the start of the game, the last missions leading up to end are me herding cattle and capturing horses. The place was big, but was not much to do compared to the size. It was to repetitive and boring.

2. Rage- I mean the ending WTF??? I have never before bought a game and felt like I was ripped off but with this I did. I feel like I got suckered into a $60 tech demo. The ending made no sense and whatever DLC they planned got canceled so you are left with a mediocre shooter whose online isn't even shooting but car racing.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

PSU Live Streamer
    Assassin's Creed, the first one. The game looked dope when it was nothing but trailers leading up to the release. I got it day 1, played 2-3 hrs and have never gone back to it. What a $#@!in let down. Haven't played an AC game since.

13. Likes keefy likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Re6 I remember being so hype about it..

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Veteran
    Probably MAG

That game had so much promise..and wasn't any good.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Resident Evil 6 for me. I absolutely loved RE5, though I did play it co-op the entire time. RE6 just ruined everything.

Duke Nukem Forever. 12yrs in the making and it completely sucked.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Two come to mind.

1. Red Dead Redemption(bring on the hate!!!)- This game had literally 4-5 missions repeated over and over again. I herd cattle and capture horses and races at the start of the game, the last missions leading up to end are me herding cattle and capturing horses. The place was big, but was not much to do compared to the size. It was to repetitive and boring.
    I will agree the beginning for RDR is complete $#@! but once the game opened up after that it became one of my favorite games this gen. Also the zombie dlc is total $#@! awesome.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Easily FF13, a lot of franchises went downhill this gen but that one most of all.

Even Duke Nukem Forever wasn't as big a disappointed, I actually played through it twice and got SOME enjoyment out of it.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Elite Member
    The font some members are using makes it a chore to read their posts.

Most disappointing game...

There are a few, but I'll just stick with the big two:

1. Dragon Age 2 - I actually liked the game, but it was... one step forward (Art design), two steps back (No sense of exploration and the plot) to keep it simple.

2. Mass Effect 3 - I also really liked this game, but like DA2 it did some things better than the previous games (Combat, customization), but other things worse (The ending and lack of side quests). I really, really like the lore of Mass Effect but feel Bioware could have done so much more in the games.
    I talk to myself because I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Assassin's Creed 3. Thought it was going to top AC2 but I guess the time period just isn't interesting enough.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Off the top of my head it was probably SOCOM 4, there was nothing "SOCOM" about it. It was pretty much a new IP with the SOCOM name.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Forum Elder
    For me lair, it looked good but it was like trying to ride a wild bull.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by chrisw26308; 02-28-2013 at 02:23.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ultimate Veteran
    BlackSite: Area 51.

Harvey Smith, who also worked on the first two Deus Ex games and most recently, Dishonored, attributed the low scores for BlackSite: Area 51 to the game's development schedule. I still have the PSM magazine where he talks about one of the goals being to create the most lifelike squad ever.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Off the top of my head it was probably SOCOM 4, there was nothing "SOCOM" about it. It was pretty much a new IP with the SOCOM name.
    If Sony were smart they would remake Socom 2 multiplayer for PS4 add a map creator and sell it for $20-$30 on PSN.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    BlackSite: Area 51.

Harvey Smith, who also worked on the first two Deus Ex games and most recently, Dishonored, attributed the low scores for BlackSite: Area 51 to the game's development schedule. I still have the PSM magazine where he talks about one of the goals being to create the most lifelike squad ever.
    I never got around to playing this. It looked fun though.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Socom 4 was such a tud and a disappointment, the Devs were so determined to give the fans something different when the majority of the fan base wanted something similar to socom 1/2! $#@! still makes me mad thinking about it, slant six was on a limited budget and still created something that resembled more of a socom title than what zipper and Seth Luisi did with Sony backing them with the budget they needed!

Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    If Sony were smart they would remake Socom 2 multiplayer for PS4 add a map creator and sell it for $20-$30 on PSN.
    But they will not do it! Give us servers to choose from, then rooms within those servers (also have a quick search option), while in a room, enable chat talk (turn based!) And a free for all keyboard text chat. Having clan based system in the os level (something I wish the ps4 had). Spectator mode (is now os level so that's good) but will be delayed during clan bales or ranked rooms to avoid cheating, voting system will return.

Allow clan members to join the side where his mates are! And the voting system should work like this. If I get kicked from from the commando team, it'll automatically switch me to the terrorist (mercenary) side, and if they kick you from that side then you're out! Have a dedicated mic button, over the shoulder and classic view 3rd person cameras. Give the player the option to configure the controller buttons. And also sound settings (I hate ambient sounds in games)

Man I wish I knew how to code, there are some great ideas out there for these types of games but everybody wants to be a call of duty, battlefield wannabe!

Sent from my Note II

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I never got around to playing this. It looked fun though.
    Yeah, I remember thinking the debut trailer was cool.

I was also reading an article on the guy here.

“I was disappointed with decisions that we made on Deus Ex: Invisible War. Things also went very badly at Midway [with Area 51]… Area 51 was just super-troubled development. It was a very large organization. It was hard to get anything done. Nobody was really empowered, I think. After I was gone – after I got fired, frankly – all of their studios shut down. One thing was not the problem. It was not isolated.”

Smith, however, eventually bounced back. He kept on pushing forward, and ultimately, it led him to a job at Arkane meticulously crafting his dream game alongside co-creative director and good friend Raphael Colantonio. It’s been a long road, certainly, but Smith chalks his recent good fortune up to the fact that he never lost sight of what actually mattered.

“You know, I just love games,” he enthuses. “I love talking about games. I love playing games. I love designing games. I’ve always believed that you should ignore all that [negative stuff] and just keep working. It’s a good philosophy. On our worst day in video games, we’re doing intellectually and creatively stimulating work.”
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Thread Information