Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

PS4's social functions grab Hideo Kojima's attention

The creator behind the Metal Gear franchise has shared his thoughts on Sony’s recently-unveiled home console, PlayStation 4.

Speaking with IGN, Hideo Kojima, who admitted he didn’t watch the machine’s reveal last week at the PlayStation Meeting, said he’s particularly intrigued by PS4’s social-oriented features.

“I can say that with every new generation of hardware the capabilities of the hardware increases. But up to this point it’s always been very much of a vertical evolution – of course, you expect things like visual fidelity, audio, frame rate. New features such as 3D capability, etc, etc. These things are a given. They come with the new hardware,” said Kojima.

“But what I’m really more interested in is other ways of expanding into the next generation – a more horizontal expansion, where you’re going to be doing things online, more of a social aspect. People will be able to interact with the game through various devices, through various media – such as tablets, smart phones, etc.”

Furthermore, the Kojima Productions boss said he’d like to implement some of these features into future Metal Gear titles.

“I think it’s this new type of interaction – this new ways of interacting with the game world – that’s more exciting to me. And I want to bring the Metal Gear franchise into that new wider world of interaction.”

Kojima-san is currently working on the next chapter in the Metal Gear franchise, titled Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.
    http://www.psu.com/a018549/PS4s-soci...imas-attention

Can't wait to see what Kojima does with the PS4

Ultimate Veteran
    I wonder if he'll craft some crazy boss that you will have to "share" in order to defeat? The possibilities for a machine like PS4 for a game creator like him is mind boggling!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    I wonder if he'll craft some crazy boss that you will have to "share" in order to defeat? The possibilities for a machine like PS4 for a game creator like him is mind boggling!
    He has always been pretty creative with all the features of the console he works on.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    I totally can't wait for Metal Gear Ground Zeroes. It's not for PS3/360 right? There's no way, atleast 360, can handle visual quality like that. Cell processor might be able to handle it, but since it was played on PC, I'm 99% sure it's not optimized for Cell.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    To be perfectly honest I look at my phone enough, I'm not looking forward to having another reason to use it.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    I totally can't wait for Metal Gear Ground Zeroes. It's not for PS3/360 right? There's no way, atleast 360, can handle visual quality like that. Cell processor might be able to handle it, but since it was played on PC, I'm 99% sure it's not optimized for Cell.
    Ground Zeros has already been announced for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

So much for your belief that the 360 can't handle the visual quality.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    if you have a nice phone, i dont think you'd mind looking at it. i personally cant wait to track my progress via my phone

Flaw3d Genius
    “But what I’m really more interested in is other ways of expanding into the next generation – a more horizontal expansion, where you’re going to be doing things online, more of a social aspect. People will be able to interact with the game through various devices, through various media – such as tablets, smart phones, etc.”
    Great I can hardly contain my excitement...The kids will love it though.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Azimuth85
    Items Iron MaidenFinal Fantasy TacticsJoker (limited ICON)Baby ChocoboLightning
    I don't know if it's because i'm 1) married 2) socially akward 3) old 4) not "hip" or 5) against change but I really hate the idea of a "Share" button. I mean, I think it's cool to share info, like I can currently on the Vita, but I think it'll be silly if I'll be allowed to post "race times" or "crafted potions" with the share button on Facebook. Maybe its for a PS4 exclusive new social-media engine? If that is the case, It's just one more thing that can either 1)go down 2) cost money or 3) will be obsolete. Especially if it's anything like Home.

PSN ID : Azimuth85

PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Kojima-san's outlook on next-generation formats reminds me of Shinji Mikami; both are more interested in taking gameplay experiences to another level, rather than gawping at the new visuals.

Like the rest of us, i'm looking forward to seeing what he does with PS4, maybe a cross-gen release for Ground Zeroes to kick things off?
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

Veteran
    Give us Ground Zeros, Kojima!!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Harradence View Post
    Kojima-san's outlook on next-generation formats reminds me of Shinji Mikami; both are more interested in taking gameplay experiences to another level, rather than gawping at the new visuals.

Like the rest of us, i'm looking forward to seeing what he does with PS4, maybe a cross-gen release for Ground Zeroes to kick things off?
    That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying that visual fidelity is a given, so he doesn't really need to worry about "improving it" in the same sense that he wants to improve on the social aspects.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Sweet. Kojima always implements cool $#@! in his games, so itll be interesting to see what he comes up with here. Love that man!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Kojima excited means I'm excited. I don't think he would make some stupid tack on just for the sack of social integration. It will be creative. Don't expect anything less from him.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    As far as I know, the only difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360 is how much data Blu-ray and DVD-9 can store.

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth85 View Post
    I don't know if it's because i'm 1) married 2) socially akward 3) old 4) not "hip" or 5) against change but I really hate the idea of a "Share" button. I mean, I think it's cool to share info, like I can currently on the Vita, but I think it'll be silly if I'll be allowed to post "race times" or "crafted potions" with the share button on Facebook. Maybe its for a PS4 exclusive new social-media engine? If that is the case, It's just one more thing that can either 1)go down 2) cost money or 3) will be obsolete. Especially if it's anything like Home.
    i like the share button and also being able to sync with facebook and adding friends who also have a ps4/psn will be great! when i beat a friend in madden ill share the last clip or the score on facebook for laughs or putting a link of my stream on my page for them to follow

Don't own a tablet, don't have a smart phone, don't really care. This integration into mobile devices to me seems like a giant waste of money and investment. Why would I need a game to connect to a mobile device in the first place? If it's not mandatory for gameplay then what is the point?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribstaylor View Post
    Don't own a tablet, don't have a smart phone, don't really care. This integration into mobile devices to me seems like a giant waste of money and investment. Why would I need a game to connect to a mobile device in the first place? If it's not mandatory for gameplay then what is the point?
    I totally agree lol.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Can't wait to see what Kojima have in store for us all.

Thread Information