Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    h.266

That'll bring down the file size

And yes. I can't wait for 4k!
    Last edited by D3seeker; 03-01-2013 at 21:17.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    I totally agree. I think it's adoption will be slower than 1080p. The main reason we have 1080p to begin with is because digital displays (Plasma, LCD, LED, DLP) sets simply don't need or do interlacing natively like CRT did, and what was the dominate technology of the day when the current broadcast TV standards were created.

I don't see broadcast TV standards changing for at least a decade, if not more. So it will be streaming, and possibly Disc based 4K that will be needed to drive people to want to go to 4K.

Right now with typical TV sizes are and typical sitting distance 1080p is more the sufficient and often overkill. It took us a long time to get were we are today, but we did have 1080i broadcast, we did have 1080i on cable and satellite for a while. There isn't going to be a 2160i, 4K is what would effectively be a 2160p, which is 4x the # of pixels as 1080p, and > 4x (not quite 8x) the data required to feed the channels.

A lot of Cable TV has dumped the lower Analog channel broadcast and extend to 1GHz networks, and they can still are capping out at around 150 channels of HD max. The Sat's have gone to multi-LNB solutions and are maxing out their HD channel bandwidth. Now take into consideration that you're going to need to take ~6-8 HD channels off the air to get 1 4K channel on the air.

HD wasn't so bad, you could get 2 1080i HD channels for every Analog Channel you took away and made digital only (you could put ~13-15 480i digital channels on every 1 Analog Cable Channel bandwidth.) But those Analog channels have already been gobbled up.

So what's this leave, streaming (which isn't realistic with today's average bandwidths - It probably will be realistic in in about 10yrs - 10yrs ago streaming 720p/1080i wasn't realistic for most people's available broadband, today it's reasonable for most)

You add these factors up, and I believe the adoption will be slower than the previous generation. The existing 1080p's will get down to the commodity prices (not much margin for the manufactures) and most people won't be willing to invest in the price of a 4K TV until they start seeing them come down to no more than 1.5x the pricing of the existing TVs. And then people will look at it and say, is there anything I can even watch on this to take advantage of this?

When 1080p sets started showing up, so had BluRay and HD-DVD, there was already 1080i broadcast, there was already 1080i streaming. You could feed it with 1080p via BD's and HD-DVD's, you could de-interlace that 1080i to 1080p and have a pic somewhere in between as far as quality was concerned.

High end 4K TVs are out now, but there's nothing to feed them, there will be some streaming to feed them, but only a small percentage of people are going to want to wait several hours to download a 2hr movie to be able to watch it in 4K. Don't forget there will be a premium price on those premium services.

There's no hint of a 4K media war on the horizon, as nobody has announced a plan to start creating that next disc standard to support it. There's no announced plans for a 4K broadcast standard - The ATSC standard was worked on for more than a decade before we had our first DTV broadcast.

Ok, I'm done with my rant on this. I hope I misjudged this, but I don't think it'll be massively adopted for a while.
    I agree with you 100%, I don't see it getting adopted anytime soon and there isn't even a disc standard for it yet. I still know many people without a blu-ray player, so going to 4K it will be a while! I know the H.265 standard just got finalized which should shrink the amount of bandwidth needed in 1/2, but it will be a long road ahead before 4K is commonplace!

Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    h.266

LOL! h.266

...Like a BOSS!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    That is the problem for the next 2-3 years! I can easily get a free castration, all I have to go is show up at my house with a 84" 4K OLED TV and show my wife the price I paid, then just watch my wife chop my balls off!
    Makes me happy that i'm still single hahaha!!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    Makes me happy that i'm still single hahaha!!
    You will be ensnared one day, women are like a bear trap!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation

So better do what i want now before i get trapped I'll get the 84" behemoth next year probably.

6. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I agree with you 100%, I don't see it getting adopted anytime soon and there isn't even a disc standard for it yet. I still know many people without a blu-ray player, so going to 4K it will be a while! I know the H.265 standard just got finalized which should shrink the amount of bandwidth needed in 1/2, but it will be a long road ahead before 4K is commonplace!
    Yeah, H.265 should help streaming out immensely, though it's initial target is the streaming to 3G/4G devices which need it even more than fixed broadband connections do to data throttling after just a few Gigs of data per month. The phones and tablets will run apps to decode this, but most HW such as in Internet Capable TVs, TiVos, Etc. don't have HW to support H.265 inside today as the decode is usually done by dedicated coproc's that only support H.264.

That will change over time, and I'm sure that the PS4 will simply be able to support H.265 decode on the CPU (or maybe the GPU can decode H.265 be default.)

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427

TAZ427 - Trapped on Sept 17th, 2000 - Hopelessly Ensnared Dec 31st, 2000 - Stuffed and Mounted on Oct 20th, 2001

9. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I would not even think about purchasing a 4K TV unless it gets down to the point where anyone can afford it. I already spent a good sum of money on both 1080p TV's. I personally don't think this is a smart move from Sony, they are moving up to fast and pushing to hard and it's going to bite them in the ass. A lot of people went out to buy 720p and even 1080p TV's and it was mainly Sony that started the pushing, now they want people to get 4k TV's. lmfao, not only is this just a lame attempt but It's going to flop in my opinion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    h.266

Yes but even with the savings of compression, these will still be very large files. The biggest issue will be for those with monthly bandwidth caps. They're screwed.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Ain't nobody got time for dat. Sorry but Im quite content with 1080p. Not saying the tech isnt cool but it's not going to be worth it imo.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Ain't nobody got time for dat. Sorry but Im quite content with 1080p. Not saying the tech isnt cool but it's not going to be worth it imo.
    Once you see ityoull change your mind. Did you know Sharp has a working 8k tv they unveiled in Japan.
    Last edited by The Sith; 03-02-2013 at 20:40.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    sounds good, but i can not afford these t.v's
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    Once you see ityoull change your mind. Did you know Sharp has a working 8k tv they unveiled in Japan.
    I'll make sure to pick one up when I win the lottery.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.Ē

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    This will go about as well as 3D did.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Aren't these tvs like $5000?

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Aren't these tvs like $5000?
    Nope Sony modle is 25k and LG modle is 19k...only the super rich the videophile that has dicriminating taste when it comes to video quality and performance can afford them. Im in no hurry to buy looking two to three years down the road.
    Last edited by The Sith; 03-02-2013 at 21:21.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    Nope Sony modle is 25k and LG modle is 19k...only the super rich the videophile that has dicriminating taste when it comes to video quality and performance can afford them. Im in no hurry to buy looking two to three years down the road.
    Good god!

Administrator
    Good god!
    LG [Laughable Garbage] doesn't really count as an option though. But yes... good god indeed.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.Ē

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    Even if I had the money, I don't have any play to put a 80"+ tv. My 42 inch is the perfect size, and 4K would be completely wasted at that size.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    If I were rich I'd totally endorse this and buy one of them Sony TVs. F*ck why wasn't I born into wealth

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakihara_Anjo View Post
    Even if I had the money, I don't have any play to put a 80"+ tv. My 42 inch is the perfect size, and 4K would be completely wasted at that size.
    I thought 42" was great... until I bought a 60". Now I can't even use the 42" because it looks pathetically small in comparison.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    LG [Laughable Garbage] doesn't really count as an option though. But yes... good god indeed.
    I love my LG. Has an awesome picture on it.

Administrator
    I love my LG. Has an awesome picture on it.
    :[

You'll find the truth eventually. I'll pray for you.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    :[

You'll find the truth eventually. I'll pray for you.
    No need.

Administrator
    No need.
    Psh, fine.

I had an LG as well... good picture... but then I discovered better picture. Can't look back now.

Thread Information