Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Psh, fine.

I had an LG as well... good picture... but then I discovered better picture. Can't look back now.
    The TV I have has a great picture for a 47 inch. I've seen it next to other comparable high end brands. The picture was not much different and the price was much lower. I say for the trade off is worth. It also looks better than my moms bravia.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    The TV I have has a great picture for a 47 inch. I've seen it next to other comparable high end brands. The picture was not much different and the price was much lower. I say for the trade off is worth. It also looks better than my moms bravia.
    It's been a while for me, maybe they've improved quite a bit. :]
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.Ē

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I got a steal on it about 2 years ago. 47 inch 60hz 1080p for 585. Fry's ftw. I couldn't find it anywhere for within $100 of that price.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Yeah, let me get rich first, then I'll consider your 4K service a wise investment.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Yeah, let me get rich first, then I'll consider your 4K service a wise investment.
    If I win the lottery I will get you one! >_>
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.Ē

6. Likes Lebowski , Lefein likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Great news! Granted, I won't have a 4K TV for years, but it's nice to know it is supported by our PS4!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    LG [Laughable Garbage] doesn't really count as an option though. But yes... good god indeed.
    LOL! Never heard it called that! You want a real crap brand, go check out Westinghouse or Coby!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Forum Sage
    4K video is more far now than 1080p video was when the Playstation 3 got launched. I'm personally glad the function will be available but there's not even media for it...

Btw... forget about 4K gaming.
    Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquanox View Post
    4K video is more far now than 1080p video was when the Playstation 3 got launched. I'm personally glad the function will be available but there's not even media for it...

Btw... forget about 4K gaming.
    Exactly! 4K gaming is not going to happen this gen, even a decked out PC would struggle pushing 3D gaming at that resolution! They haven't even set a disc standard for 4K video and they just recently approved the h.265 standard which will probably be used when it does. Hopefully the PS4 can read quad layered blu-rays which is what they will need to pull off 4K movies on disc.

Forum Sage
    Indeed. And that's without mentioning theres a much bigger difference between 1080p vs. 4k than 720p vs. 1080p.... and we know how 1080p did in this generation.

800px_Digital_video_resolutions_VCD_to_4K_ (1).jpg

Enviado desde mi GT-I9305 usando Tapatalk 2

Ultimate Veteran
    Pong in 4K!

BELIEVE!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Pong in 4K!

BELIEVE!
    I would be cool to see some old school side-scrollers show up in 4K resolution, just touch up the graphics with a little 3D similar to 1942: Joint Strike was on the PS3 and BAM!, instant hit!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Yeah we never got to the point of 1080p support for all games. Sadly I don't know if that will even be the case this upcoming gen. So 4k for gaming is a stretch.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    It'll probably be a year or two before I get a 4K TV. Good to know PS4 will have content for it, though Nice find bro!
    It seems you are rich. So, you will spend 10,000 dollars on 4K TV? That is an amazing man.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon_Filter View Post
    It seems you are rich. So, you will spend 10,000 dollars on 4K TV? That is an amazing man.
    Even if I had that type of money to spend a TV there is no way that I would, just for the principal of the matter! My spending limit on a TV is $5k, max! And even some people say that is way too high!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Even if I had that type of money to spend a TV there is no way that I would, just for the principal of the matter! My spending limit on a TV is $5k, max! And even some people say that is way too high!
    I would rather buy so much more stuff with $20k. Just not worth it. I don't care if it's studded with diamonds.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I would rather buy so much more stuff with $20k. Just not worth it. I don't care if it's studded with diamonds.
    I am going to come over to your house now and bedazzle your TV!

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    At least they're not trying to make a new disc format. Oh wait...

Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I am going to come over to your house now and bedazzle your TV!

Oh snap! Bedazzled party FTW!

21. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Administrator
    Oh snap! Bedazzled party FTW!
    I'm totally there... lol.

23. Likes PS4freak , MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    What size do these 4k movies come in at? Pretty sure i heard 10 mins of a 4k movie fills a 50gb Blu-Ray lol
    Theoretically the video size goes up linearly with pixel count.
    Happily frequency of the data doesn't increase linearly and thus higher resolutions generally do compress better.

So 4k should be less than 4x the size of 1080p. (most likely around >3x)
    Add H265 which has target of ~2x compression rate and size of 4k video could get as low as 1.5x the 1080p blu-ray.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    That's true and since gaming on console wont be in 4k for most likely 20 years from now with the current and future tech for consoles, I really don't see any point. I think this will be mainly for your rich, multi millionaire business man that likes a decked out media room.
    20 year is incredibly long time, 20 years ago most games were in 320x200 resolution..
    Also now that PPI is skyrocketing I'm sure that 4k is going to be quite 'common' rendering resolution on PC side within 5 years.

Currently high-end rigs can have resolution as high as 4800x2560..
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    Are they native 4K or are they inflated to 4K because there is a difference. I wouldn't even want to think about the price of a HD camera's capable of filming in 4K. The price I would guess would be well over $80,000.
    Sony F65 with 8K sensoran 4K output is around 65000$, professional 4k cameras can be a lot less. (Red Scarlet brain is 8000$ (you need lenses, ssd. etc.))
    Red Epic is 6K camera now with red dragon sensor..(~>30000$)
    Last edited by jlippone; 03-06-2013 at 05:54.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Elite Guru
    Happily frequency of the data doesn't increase linearly and thus higher resolutions generally do compress better.

Add H265 which has target of ~2x compression rate and size of 4k video could get as low as 1.5x the 1080p blu-ray.

Yeah it is considered feasible that current over the air HD channels can potentially be used to transmit 4K video due to the fact that the data increase isn't that big of an issue. Pixels go up but data complexity doesn't.

Forum Sage
    Good Analysis, though I wouldn't be so optimistic and would go for around 2x the current size of a Blu-ray... which still sounds good enough considering big movies (i.e. The Hobbit) contains around 3O-38 GB of Video alone.

I wonder if next gen consoles support quad layer blu-ray.

Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post

20 year is incredibly long time, 20 years ago most games were in 320x200 resolution..
    Also now that PPI is skyrocketing I'm sure that 4k is going to be quite 'common' rendering resolution on PC side within 5 years.

Currently high-end rigs can have resolution as high as 4800x2560..

Sony F65 with 8K sensoran 4K output is around 65000$, professional 4k cameras can be a lot less. (Red Scarlet brain is 8000$ (you need lenses, ssd. etc.))
    Red Epic is 6K camera now with red dragon sensor..
    He's talking about movie quality cameras, those range anywhere from $20,000 up to even $80,000 depending on the setup. For a resolution of 8k it would need a new camera I wouldn't doubt that any movie supporting such resolution would cost more than $80,000, more than likely $140,000.

It's to fast a push. Also, 20 years is definitely reasonable, in my opinion it would be a bit longer. consoles are out every 5 to 6 years maybe longer, now depending on how it's pushed it's very doubtful that within the 20 year timeframe we will be gaming on 4k TV's with a good FPS rating, very doubtful. People can argue that older films were made with 8k resolution but that isn't the same otherwise that typical resolution would be the normal by now. it's a different technology used with a different Technology in the TV's and definitely not the same.

TV's can't even reach 1920x1200 yet (What I mean is, it isn't normal yet), there is no gradual increase which is a mistake sony is making. These TV's are going to be at a premium price for a long time and might not ever make to the hands of nomal income households. In this case and in my opinion it's a complete waste of time for such a move when gaming at 1080p on consoles might not even reach a steady 60fps. but hey, it's technology but I doubt these TV's are going to be popular.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 03-05-2013 at 15:22.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    He's talking about movie quality cameras, those range anywhere from $20,000 up to even $80,000 depending on the setup. For a resolution of 8k it would need a new camera I wouldn't doubt that any movie supporting such resolution would cost more than $80,000, more than likely $140,000.

It's to fast a push. Also, 20 years is definitely reasonable, in my opinion it would be a bit longer. consoles are out every 5 to 6 years maybe longer, now depending on how it's pushed it's very doubtful that within the 20 year timeframe we will be gaming on 4k TV's with a good FPS rating, very doubtful. People can argue that older films were made with 8k resolution but that isn't the same otherwise that typical resolution would be the normal by now. it's a different technology used with a different Technology in the TV's and definitely not the same.

TV's can't even reach 1920x1200 yet (What I mean is, it isn't normal yet), there is no gradual increase which is a mistake sony is making. These TV's are going to be at a premium price for a long time and might not ever make to the hands of nomal income households. In this case and in my opinion it's a complete waste of time for such a move when gaming at 1080p on consoles might not even reach a steady 60fps. but hey, it's technology but I doubt these TV's are going to be popular.
    Plasma TVs were over 10 grand (some 14 grand) when they first came out. The price will fall... that's guaranteed. When is the real question.

Thread Information