Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    I'm totally there... lol.
    Will PM you the address.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Plasma TVs were over 10 grand (some 14 grand) when they first came out. The price will fall... that's guaranteed. When is the real question.
    I've known that for a long time. The problem here is how many middle to lower income families are willing to go out of their way again for another TV and I am willing to bet only a very few and a good chance of none. Those lower to mid income families already went out of their way to get a 1080p TV or even a 720p TV. This 4K movement is to soon. Just watch.

This is no different then that Oled fiasco 2 to 3 years ago and that didn't go to well either.

I am going to sit back and eat popcorn while watching this all go down.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 03-05-2013 at 23:51.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I've known that for a long time. The problem here is how many middle to lower income families are willing to go out of their way again for another TV and I am willing to bet only a very few and a good chance of none. Those lower to mid income families already went out of their way to get a 1080p TV or even a 720p TV. This 4K movement is to soon. Just watch.

This is no different then that Oled fiasco 2 to 3 years ago and that didn't go to well either.

I am going to sit back and eat popcorn while watching this all go down.
    You seem to underestimate the average American's $#@!ty financial choices.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.Ē

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    He's talking about movie quality cameras, those range anywhere from $20,000 up to even $80,000 depending on the setup. For a resolution of 8k it would need a new camera I wouldn't doubt that any movie supporting such resolution would cost more than $80,000, more than likely $140,000.
    Those were movie quality cameras, unless The Hobbit and such are not considered movies anymore.. (Hobbit was shot in 5k, post in 2k.)
    http://www.red.com/shot-on-red

RED camera prices I quoted were just for the brain units with no lenses at all etc.. (>~30000$ for EPIC with red dragon, Scarlet 8000$.)
    F65 from Sony should come with basic lenses and such. (apparently now there is upgrade available so you can output the 8k raw.(color information is ~4k))

Here's first couple of images with the new red dragon sensor at 6K and 86fps, 8K should come well within five years and within same price.
    http://www.redsharknews.com/technolo...-dragon-sensor

Digital camera tech is going forward in ridiculous pace at the moment, shooting at 4k isn't that big problem anymore.
    Last edited by jlippone; 03-06-2013 at 06:56.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

5. Likes x_terna likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    4K movies eh. yet some cant tell the difference between DVD & Blue ray.
    Last edited by keefy; 03-06-2013 at 08:52.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    yet some cant tell the difference between DVD & Blue ray.
    Yes... blind people.

And it's "Blu-ray".
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.Ē

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Blind man in Blue clothes wearing Ray bans.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    When I heard someone say they couldn't tell a difference i asked them if they were high. It was a serious facepalm moment.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    When I heard someone say they couldn't tell a difference i asked them if they were high. It was a serious facepalm moment.
    Were they blind and using a cane?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Were they blind and using a cane?
    Might as well been.

Administrator
    I seriously can't comprehend how anyone can't tell the difference.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    I seriously can't comprehend how anyone can't tell the difference.
    It's definitely mind boggling.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    It's definitely mind boggling.

Elite Guru
    I can understand for most people, most people don't notice MPEG artefacts as a good example. HD is better but sometimes DVD quality is more than enough. Just like with computer graphics we are well into the realm of deminishing returns.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    I can understand for most people, most people don't notice MPEG artefacts as a good example. HD is better but sometimes DVD quality is more than enough. Just like with computer graphics we are well into the realm of deminishing returns.
    Indeed.
    Now that resolution is pretty much resolved mystery, there would be couple of other things we could improve.

Most notably higher output color range, 256 colors for a brightness is not enough and causes visible banding.
    A decent HDR output tech would be very nice thing and even a proper 10bit could improve things nicely.
    A proper HDR would be like walking from dark room to out doors.

Another is the fps and with normal 60hz we get image every 16.6ms, 120 or even better 240hz would be preferable.
    240hz would allow a nice selection of stable framerates from the standard 60 and 24 to hobbits 48.
    For gamers it would mean very smooth saling from stable framerate to an another as difference from framerate to an another is ~4.2ms. (possible framerates: 240, 120, 80, 60, 48, 40, ~34, 30.. etc.)
    With VSYNC on, you wouldn't really feel the small change in framerate.
    Last edited by jlippone; 03-08-2013 at 05:47.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

PSN ID
    pitofskulls
    Having 4k movies before giving games the 1080p treatment? it's a bunch of BS!! the PS3 sucks for being a champion of 720p even though it can do 1080p. SONY, YOU LET MICROSOFT BEAT YOU WITH NOT REQUIRING ALL GAMES HAVING 1080p SUPPORT!!! why bring a 4k movie service when there are NO 4K TVs on the market? if there are, they're expensive as a brand new lamborghini!!!!! I CAN'T AFFORD THAT! i would rather have ALL of my video games have 1080p support before even worrying about movies having this stupid ass 4k resolution. hell, cable tv can't even provide 1080p broadcasts yet. we can only get 1080i. it's not even progressive scan. WHY HAVE MOVIES WITH HIGHER RES BEFORE THE GAMES??!! WHY??!!! you can't for the love of the gaming gods tout a powerful console such as the PS3 and now the PS4 and flop on the higher resolution of 1080p that you so elegantly and confidently promoted. so if these amazing consoles can do 1080p, why do 75% of all the games available for the PS3 only come with 720p as the highest resolution? are you too chicken to make ALL games have 1080p support?! we want the eye candy that 1080p provides. None of this 720p bull$#@!. Rant complete. Carry on!
    Author of "Beneath Blackened Clouds" available on amazon.com.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Quote Originally Posted by WayFastWhitey View Post
    Having 4k movies before giving games the 1080p treatment? it's a bunch of BS!! the PS3 sucks for being a champion of 720p even though it can do 1080p. SONY, YOU LET MICROSOFT BEAT YOU WITH NOT REQUIRING ALL GAMES HAVING 1080p SUPPORT!!! why bring a 4k movie service when there are NO 4K TVs on the market? if there are, they're expensive as a brand new lamborghini!!!!! I CAN'T AFFORD THAT! i would rather have ALL of my video games have 1080p support before even worrying about movies having this stupid ass 4k resolution. hell, cable tv can't even provide 1080p broadcasts yet. we can only get 1080i. it's not even progressive scan. WHY HAVE MOVIES WITH HIGHER RES BEFORE THE GAMES??!! WHY??!!! you can't for the love of the gaming gods tout a powerful console such as the PS3 and now the PS4 and flop on the higher resolution of 1080p that you so elegantly and confidently promoted. so if these amazing consoles can do 1080p, why do 75% of all the games available for the PS3 only come with 720p as the highest resolution? are you too chicken to make ALL games have 1080p support?! we want the eye candy that 1080p provides. None of this 720p bull$#@!. Rant complete. Carry on!
    Preach somewhere else

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Thread Information