Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

PS4: Sony’s 4K movie service confirmed for console

http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/01/ps4-...d-for-console/
    Definitely have to have this....now i need a 4k tv or monitor.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

2. Likes TheBreezyBB , Lefein likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It'll probably be a year or two before I get a 4K TV. Good to know PS4 will have content for it, though Nice find bro!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Please tell me that downloading the 4K movies aren't the only way to view that content! I have fairly speedy FiOS service and even a 100GB+ file makes me cringe! It would take me almost 4 hours running my connection at full speed to get a 100GB file (my speedtest rates at around 60Mbps), that's not cool!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Apprentice
    I'm fine with 1080p
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

6. Likes Dave-The-Rave likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    I'm fine with 1080p
    Same here! ...until I end up seeing 4K video running on an OLED TV, then it will probably change! I have no plans to get a 4K TV until they are using OLED for the display and the price will have to be under $5k for an 84" TV before I even remotely consider it! What is nice though, is that both 720p and 1080p will divide evenly into the 2160p resolution so everything will remain razor sharp!

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Sounds nice and dandy but a great majority of us won't be able to afford 4k until over a year or so down the line. Not only that but it's said that PS4 games won't support 4k resolution. Still a nice thing to have in the future.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    Sounds nice and dandy but a great majority of us won't be able to afford 4k until over a year or so down the line. Not only that but it's said that PS4 games won't support 4k resolution. Still a nice thing to have in the future.
    I think realistically priced 4K sets won't be around until 2-3 years, but I could be wrong!

Flaw3d Genius
    What size do these 4k movies come in at? Pretty sure i heard 10 mins of a 4k movie fills a 50gb Blu-Ray lol

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    What size do these 4k movies come in at? Pretty sure i heard 10 mins of a 4k movie fills a 50gb Blu-Ray lol
    After the link it stated they would be 100GB+ file sizes, which is crazy big!

Molyneux said, some movie downloads would hit “100 gigabytes and plus”, and that broadband speed and bandwidth will be looked at and tackled in due course.
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 03-01-2013 at 17:24.

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Sony Japan will be the first to do a live 4K broadcast in July 2014 . Panasonic will be releasing a 20 inch 4k oled tablet this year priced between 3-4 thousand dollars.i expect a lot of heavy marketing next year promoting 4k tvs.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I want the Sony 84" 4k TV!! Problem is, it's either the TV or a new car!!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    That is the problem for the next 2-3 years! I can easily get a free castration, all I have to go is show up at my house with a 84" 4K OLED TV and show my wife the price I paid, then just watch my wife chop my balls off!

15. Likes TheBreezyBB , Wrath likes this post
    Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    Yeszz....that tv is a beast! Its pricy but the next version of it wull be priced lower. I had planned on buying a new flat panel but will wait on the new 4k tvs.

Ultimate Veteran
    4k is only needed for tvs over 70 inchs. fi u have a 1080 p and a 4k tv at 50 inchs u wont be able to tell which is which

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    4k is only needed for tvs over 70 inchs. fi u have a 1080 p and a 4k tv at 50 inchs u wont be able to tell which is which
    One could say the same for smart phones and IPads and PC monitors
    You can tell the difference, but the difference is even greater the larger the screen

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    I can tell the difference... just like I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a smaller screen. I think 4K is overkill... but I will happily welcome it when it becomes the norm (or just... affordable).
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I am more excited of an OLED display versus having 4K resolution, even having an OLED display at 1080p will leave me

Apprentice
    If you think about it, it's kinda a ripoff. Let's say you have enough money for one of these sets, now you are have to download a 100GB movie and how many movies are suppose to take advantage of this because I haven't seen any movie company on board with this.

Administrator
    If you think about it, it's kinda a ripoff. Let's say you have enough money for one of these sets, now you are have to download a 100GB movie and how many movies are suppose to take advantage of this because I haven't seen any movie company on board with this.
    There are several movies that are 4K at the moment... I believe Skyfall is one of them. It's still stupid, though at this point in time. I could build a movie theater in my house for the cost of one 4K TV.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Apprentice
    That's true and since gaming on console wont be in 4k for most likely 20 years from now with the current and future tech for consoles, I really don't see any point. I think this will be mainly for your rich, multi millionaire business man that likes a decked out media room.

Are they native 4K or are they inflated to 4K because there is a difference. I wouldn't even want to think about the price of a HD camera's capable of filming in 4K. The price I would guess would be well over $80,000.
    Last edited by Coconut_Crunch; 03-01-2013 at 19:26.

Ancient
    Any movie shot with film will have no problem and will just need remastering, for example, The Wizard Of Oz was shot in 8k
    Its actually the newer films shot in HD that may have trouble
    Click for instance was shot in Digital HD, so that means it natively 1080p and nothing can be done unless they shot it in a higher resolution, Star Wars episode 1 was actually shot in 1080p, that maybe a problem too
    But film wise 4k is actually one of the low-res formats
    And a lot of Blu-rays are actually downsampled from 4k, 6k, or 8k to 1080p for Blu-ray, so a lot of content is available to benefit from it, but they'll need remastering
    Class dismissed

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Administrator

PS4: Sony’s 4K movie service confirmed for console

Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Any movie shot with film will have no problem and will just need remastering, for example, The Wizard Of Oz was shot in 8k
    Its actually the newer films shot in HD that may have trouble
    Click for instance was shot in Digital HD, so that means it natively 1080p and nothing can be done unless they shot it in a higher resolution, Star Wars episode 1 was actually shot in 1080p, that maybe a problem too
    But film wise 4k is actually one of the low-res formats
    And a lot of Blu-rays are actually downsampled from 4k, 6k, or 8k to 1080p for Blu-ray, so a lot of content is available to benefit from it, but they'll need remastering
    Class dismissed

Sent via Codec
    Yep. The Sound of Music Blu-ray was scanned at 4K and downsized to 1080p, as an example.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I think realistically priced 4K sets won't be around until 2-3 years, but I could be wrong!
    I think 2-3yrs is optimistic, But I'm also thinking that anything > $2K for a 64" Plasma is outside of the realistic pricing for me to go beyond the 64" 1080p Plasma I'm currently using.

Especially since at my sitting distance 10.5' from the TV, my eyes would not be able to distinguish any improvements from a 1080p to a 4K TV, I'd have to be sitting about 8' or closer to the TV to start noticing a difference.

I don't intend to change my viewing distance, but I would consider upgrading the size of my TV. I went from a 56" 720p DLP ($3500 at the time of purchase in 2004) to a 64" 1080p about a year ago (< $2K on a PN64D7000)

So, I'll probably wait until I can get an 84" one for under $2K, which I don't see happening for another 5-7yrs.

Last edited by TAZ427; 03-01-2013 at 19:55.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    I think 2-3yrs is optimistic, But I'm also thinking that anything > $2K for a 64" Plasma is outside of the realistic pricing for me to go beyond the 64" 1080p Plasma I'm currently using.

Especially since at my sitting distance 10.5' from the TV, my eyes would not be able to distinguish any improvements from a 1080p to a 4K TV, I'd have to be sitting about 8' or closer to the TV to start noticing a difference.

I don't intend to change my viewing distance, but I would consider upgrading the size of my TV. I went from a 56" 720p DLP ($3500 at the time of purchase in 2004) to a 64" 1080p about a year ago (< $2K on a PN64D7000)

So, I'll probably wait until I can get an 84" one for under $2K, which I don't see happening for another 5-7yrs.

I am in no hurry to jump on the 4K bandwagon, hell, I am still waiting for HD content on a lot of channels, which most if not all are 720p or 1080i currently...it will be many many years before we see lots of 4K content readily available from cable providers.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I am in no hurry to jump on the 4K bandwagon, hell, I am still waiting for HD content on a lot of channels, which most if not all are 720p or 1080i currently...it will be many many years before we see lots of 4K content readily available from cable providers.
    I totally agree. I think it's adoption will be slower than 1080p. The main reason we have 1080p to begin with is because digital displays (Plasma, LCD, LED, DLP) sets simply don't need or do interlacing natively like CRT did, and what was the dominate technology of the day when the current broadcast TV standards were created.

I don't see broadcast TV standards changing for at least a decade, if not more. So it will be streaming, and possibly Disc based 4K that will be needed to drive people to want to go to 4K.

Right now with typical TV sizes are and typical sitting distance 1080p is more the sufficient and often overkill. It took us a long time to get were we are today, but we did have 1080i broadcast, we did have 1080i on cable and satellite for a while. There isn't going to be a 2160i, 4K is what would effectively be a 2160p, which is 4x the # of pixels as 1080p, and > 4x (not quite 8x) the data required to feed the channels.

A lot of Cable TV has dumped the lower Analog channel broadcast and extend to 1GHz networks, and they can still are capping out at around 150 channels of HD max. The Sat's have gone to multi-LNB solutions and are maxing out their HD channel bandwidth. Now take into consideration that you're going to need to take ~6-8 HD channels off the air to get 1 4K channel on the air.

HD wasn't so bad, you could get 2 1080i HD channels for every Analog Channel you took away and made digital only (you could put ~13-15 480i digital channels on every 1 Analog Cable Channel bandwidth.) But those Analog channels have already been gobbled up.

So what's this leave, streaming (which isn't realistic with today's average bandwidths - It probably will be realistic in in about 10yrs - 10yrs ago streaming 720p/1080i wasn't realistic for most people's available broadband, today it's reasonable for most)

You add these factors up, and I believe the adoption will be slower than the previous generation. The existing 1080p's will get down to the commodity prices (not much margin for the manufactures) and most people won't be willing to invest in the price of a 4K TV until they start seeing them come down to no more than 1.5x the pricing of the existing TVs. And then people will look at it and say, is there anything I can even watch on this to take advantage of this?

When 1080p sets started showing up, so had BluRay and HD-DVD, there was already 1080i broadcast, there was already 1080i streaming. You could feed it with 1080p via BD's and HD-DVD's, you could de-interlace that 1080i to 1080p and have a pic somewhere in between as far as quality was concerned.

High end 4K TVs are out now, but there's nothing to feed them, there will be some streaming to feed them, but only a small percentage of people are going to want to wait several hours to download a 2hr movie to be able to watch it in 4K. Don't forget there will be a premium price on those premium services.

There's no hint of a 4K media war on the horizon, as nobody has announced a plan to start creating that next disc standard to support it. There's no announced plans for a 4K broadcast standard - The ATSC standard was worked on for more than a decade before we had our first DTV broadcast.

Ok, I'm done with my rant on this. I hope I misjudged this, but I don't think it'll be massively adopted for a while.

Thread Information