Selected Members Council
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Capcom: Resident Evil and Street Fighter would restrict us on PS4

Capcom is building a new IP for PS4 because it will allow it to fully understand what the console is capable of.

Deep Down is the working title of Capcom’s dungeons and dragons-style RPG, which was unveiled on stage at Sony’s New York press conference last week. It is being developed alongside a new game engine designed for the next generation.

The title’s producer Yoshinori Ono told MCV that the reason the firm chose a new brand, rather than an established IP like Street Fighter or Resident Evil, is so it isn’t constrained by consumer expectations.

"We wanted to be free to utilise the PS4's hardware capabilities and unique services without the constraints of working within an existing IP," he said. Ono-san is best known for the Street Fighter series.

"Of course, the development experience we gain will put us in an even better position to bring our existing series to the console in a way that takes full advantage of its hardware and services."

Ono-san added that he is a big fan of PS4 for being ‘developer focused.’ “That makes it easy to make games, and the online services are easy to integrate, he said.

“The real-time capabilities of the hardware allowed us to produce the Deep Down demonstration you saw at the conference in a relatively short amount of time.”

Deep Down was one of the big reveals at the PS4 press conference that wasn't subject to pre-event spoilers.

"I was honored to be invited," added Ono-san. "At the same time, I was a little hesitant about showing off a game and engine that are still at such early stages of development; neither even has a final name yet."
    via MCV.

He refers to it as a new IP but I think most people are convinced that Deep Down is really a successor to Dragon's Dogma.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 03-01-2013 at 20:48.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Now, I wonder if that was really gameplay we were seeing running on the PS4 because it looked freaking incredible.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Don't give me that garbage. Shut up and make Capcom vs. SNK 3! And don't make it casual with gems and comeback abilities. Make it a man's game like CVS2 where you had to be on your $#@! to achieve ultimate victory! Chea!

Outside of that, good luck to them with Deep Down. Not my style of game.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

4. Likes Kuro likes this post
    Flaw3d Genius
    Please no more Resident Evil's - Let the series die as it gets worse with every game.

Street Fighters well they can keep coming as long as they are 2d, Hopefully we'l get one after a few new ip's.

Superior Member
    Didn't they consider rebooting RE? Or was that a dream I had.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Zombie View Post
    Didn't they consider rebooting RE? Or was that a dream I had.
    They said after 5 they wanted to reboot it but 6 happened so it might as well have been a dream.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    Don't give me that garbage. Shut up and make Capcom vs. SNK 3! And don't make it casual with gems and comeback abilities. Make it a man's game like CVS2 where you had to be on your $#@! to achieve ultimate victory! Chea!

Outside of that, good luck to them with Deep Down. Not my style of game.
    Hell yeah right with ya homie!

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

9. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerRellP89 View Post
    Now, I wonder if that was really gameplay we were seeing running on the PS4 because it looked freaking incredible.
    The PS4 is pretty much as powerful as any top of the line PC right now. I am sure the graphics will look very similar to what we have seen.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Capcom needs to learn from their failure of this gen. Rebooting the same crap over and over. Not to mention all the dlc bs. Hopefully they will treat this as a learning experience. I don't want to see another damn street fighter or RE unless it's well thought out. I don't need 13 Damn fighting games that just add new characters.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    via MCV.

He refers to it as a new IP but I think most people are convinced that Deep Down is really a successor to Dragon's Dogma.
    I would say inspired by because they did say dragons dogmas was thier new franchise after sale. So itll be deep down and dragons dogma side by side.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Ultimate Veteran
    Capcom has been lost this generation.lets hope they find them selfs next-generation.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Hope for a DMC5...

Superior Member
    Items Guerrilla GamesVitaJoker (limited ICON)
    I agree with CAPCOM's thinking here.

Still really want to see SF5 though

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Would it restrict you because you can't put locked content on-disc anymore, Capcom?

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    Capcom has been lost this generation.lets hope they find them selfs next-generation.
    Still cant believe they made the last levels of asuras wrath dlc

That was the most greedy act ive ever seen a game company do

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

18. Likes GalapagosaraY likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
    Still cant believe they made the last levels of asuras wrath dlc

That was the most greedy act ive ever seen a game company do

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Say what?!

Sent from my Note II

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    I don't care about Capcoms $#@! lol. I want to see Uncharted 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    They said after 5 they wanted to reboot it but 6 happened so it might as well have been a dream.
    Maybe this time they will finally reboot.

Veteran
    Didn't really like current gen Street Fighter anyway.

I'm fine with them coming out with something fresh.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    How would it restrict, i am confused

You build the games for the console , you out do yourself everytime and their you go... You expand on the series's and just hope
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Superior Member

It restricts because there is little to no room to be innovative and take chances. Look...RE6 sucked. We all agree on that...but they were trying to do something different with it...kind of flesh out an idea and do something grand with the story arc and gameplay giving everyone something to like. Look where it got them....crappy game and tons of upset customers. Now...you have a brand new console with soo many possibilities and avenues to explore and flesh out a game experience. They can't take risks with a AAA budgeted game that they have so much invested in and truely explore gameplay mechanics and test the machine and its capabities. They put out a new IP because first off the console is only going to sell a few million games and they will not have the market to recoup the fund they would invest. Couple that with really trying to dig into the power and new things they can do...they will try that with a new IP and see if these things work...if they do they will implement them into their AAA franchises. Go and throw a bunch of new gameplay mechanics and ideas into an existing title of that caliber and they may not only miss but lose a crap ton of money selling to a small install base. New IPs generally get supplimented by the console maker or are first party titles or crossplatform titles....I really don't want to play a cross-platform RE that basically just looks better...there is no incentive to upgrade. Give me new games...and new stories to draw me in...then sale me some AAA gameplay experiences.

All I'm saying is there is huge risk and investment into launch games and typically AAA franchises aren't part of that window because the install base doesn't warrant that type of investment nor do they take the chances of exploring a new consoles possibilities. We do however usually get some amazing new franchises our of a console release because games and genres that can't appeal to masses right away or make back their investment money are usually subsidized by the console makers or basically new engine tests for next gen to see what they can do. Thats how we get Uncharted and Resistance and LBP and Heavy Rain. Those games if not launch titles probably don't get made by those studios without funding help from Sony and with the idea in mind by the developers of testing and engineering their game engines. The only major game franchise I've generally seen launch with a console are mario and Halo....but both are huge system sellers and completely necessary for those two brands to move forward on the hardware side. No one is going to buy a new nintendo console without a new mario experience and few are going to buy a new xbox without a new halo. To me this makes since for capcom. Test the system...try new things...see what works and what is possible then bring out the big AAA titles and make them as great as we expect them. I love launch windows because we generally get to see some amazing games that wouldn't get launched otherwise...like Heavenly Sword and Lair and others and while they may not all succeed in getting a sequel they are great games in my mental library of exeriences.

Master Poster
    They need to reboot Resident Evil...you would think PS4 would serve as the perfect opportunity for that
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GalapagosaraY
    Capcom are one of the best to introduce a new IP that will catch my interest and its been like that since the NES days for me, i just hope they dont go haywire with the DLC thing like on this generation. That Asuras Wrath game is the biggest joke as far as DLC goes this gen. Theres no doubt about that that game was not developed to be more than a DLC experiment for them by ripping a game to half and release the other half as episodes. I was really interested in that thing but only ended up renting it from my library the gameplay is almost non existant aswell due to Quicktime events overload.

I wouldnt mind seing a Ghouls & Ghosts/Mega Man X game on the new system though preferrably in 2D

Cur.Playing PS3 : Back to the Future: Episode 2 - Monkey Island 2 SE: LeChuck's Revenge

Playing PC: Thief - Edna & Harvey: Harvey´s New Eyes

Recently Completed: Heavy Rain 8.0/10 - Devil May Cry 2 HD 4.5/10 - AC: Revelations 8.5/10

Thread Information