Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Several houses in Florida have been evacuated as man-swallowing sinkhole grows

Hillsborough County Sheriff's deputies secure the scene surrounding a home where a sinkhole opened up and swallowed a man in Seffner, Florida, March 1, 2013 (Reuters / Brian Blanco)

Residents are being evacuated from several houses in Seffner, which are next door to the one where a man was swallowed by a sinkhole as he slept. The hole is believed to be growing.Several Faithway Drive houses were determined by investigators to be in danger, as the authorities warned the sinkhole was unstable and could grow.

"We are still delineating the edge of the sinkhole. We don't know if it has changed," newspaper The Tampa Tribune quoted the President of an engineering company, Larry Madrid, who also added that heavy equipment ‘should arrive on the scene later today or Sunday’.

“I cannot tell you why it has not collapsed yet,” AP has quoted, Bill Bracken, the owner of another engineering company called to assess the sinkhole. He described the earth below as a “very large, very fluid mass.”

Florida is highly prone to sinkholes because of the underground prevalence of limestone, a porous rock that easily dissolves in water, creating caverns.
    “You can almost envision a piece of Swiss cheese. Any house in Florida could be in that same situation,”sinkhole expert Taylor Yarkosky told AP.

A crew member from the Hillsborough County Public Works Department sends a special pipe camera down a drain within the secured area surrounding a home where a sinkhole opened up and swallowed a man in Seffner, Florida, March 1, 2013 (Reuters / Brian Blanco)

Rescue work to find Bush resumed at 7 a.m., who vanished under the earth, sucked in into a sinkhole that suddenly opened under his bedroom in a suburban Tampa home.The hole, estimated to be 20 feet across and 20 feet deep, literally swallowed the 37-year-old man, along with his bed, television and dresser into

the ground as it broke through the concrete floor of his bedroom on Thursday.

As Bush was presumed dead on Friday, his brother described as he jumped in to try to save his sibling that he “heard him hollering my name to help him,” said Jeremy Bush.
    Six people, including a 2-year-old child, were inside the house at the time of the incident

“I feel in my heart he didn't make it,” Bush told Tampa TV station WFTS. “There were six of us in the house, five got out.”

When the emergency team got to the scene “all they could see was a part of a mattress sticking out of the hole," said Hillsborough County Fire Rescue Chief Ron Rogers.

County administrator Mike Merrill described the home as “seriously unstable,” warning that more lives could be lost if people continue to occupy the house.
    A 400-foot sinkhole near Orlando in 1981 swallowed up five sports cars, two businesses and a three-bedroom house. More than 500 sinkholes have been reported in Hillsborough County since 1954.

Rescue and engineering crews watch from a neighbouring backyard as other crew membe
    rs work to evaluate the safety of a home where a sinkhole opened up and swallowed a man in Seffner, Florida, March 1, 2013 (Reuters / Brian Blanco)
    http://rt.com/usa/florida-sinkhole-man-dead-709/

That feeling when you think it is not going so well and you're heart sinks
    Last edited by claud3; 03-02-2013 at 21:13.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    $#@! man that must of been horrible

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    it must have been. Waking up to know you are in a whole and could die and yet the house is still unstable more so known what just occurred
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I heard about this in the news this morning. Pretty scary stuff.

Kinda reminded me of Gears for some reason.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I heard about this in the news this morning. Pretty scary stuff. Kinda reminded me of Gears for some reason.
    Yep, at least no locusts jumped out of it.

Forum Sage

Florida: The other armpit of America. New Jersey is the first and California is the crotch.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Om nom nom!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    This is indeed sad...

But the housing is going to suffer with this latest cap in the market

Elite Guru
    Always knew Florida was the anus of the world. And it's puckering up.

(No, I don't really think that! )

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Seems like the amount of sinkholes lately has severely increased, wonder what is going on with that...

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Apprentice
    Man, anymore of those sinkholes pretty soon the ocean will take over.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I heard about this but my house is safe im in central FL anyways lol

this was in the tampa area

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Thread Information