Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony's PlayStation 4 is a thinly disguised PC

Sony may not have had an actual box to display. But it has revealed the innards of its next-gen PlayStation 4 games console. And it's pure PC.The CPU is

an AMD design with eight x86-64, low-power Jaguar cores, while the graphics core is also from AMD and derived from its latest Radeon HD family and roughly equivalent to a 7850 graphics board. But does that matter? Possibly. Here's why.

In really simple terms (and this assumes leaked info on the next console from Microsoft turns out to be correct), games development just got a whole lot easier.

From now on, you'll develop on one platform – the PC – and simply recompile for PlayStation or Xbox. OK, it'll be a bit more complicated than that in practice. But the basic notion is correct.
    And it puts the PC into an interesting position in the gaming hierarchy.

Lowest common denominator

The feeble specs of existing games consoles is easily the biggest drag on game development. CPU and GPU specs grab the headlines and both thePS3 and the Xbox 360 are looking horribly outdated by both metrics.

But more than anything it's memory space and bandwidth that's the biggest bummer. Current consoles don't have nearly enough of either and it makes life very hard for developers attempting to realise large, realistic game worlds.

The good news is that the new PS4 is a massive step forward. It packs 8GB of super fast GDDR5 memory and 176GB/s of raw memory bandwidth.
    But the really interesting bit involves the fact that the CPU and GPU are squeezed together on a single chip and in terms of memory have a truly unified address space.

At last, a powerful APU

In other words, the PS4's chip is world's first truly high performance APU or Accelerated Processing Unit. It's AMD's vision for the future of the PC. Only it's arrived in a console first.

In theory, that lets you do lots of exciting things in terms of sharing code and work across the CPU and GPU cores.

Whether games developers will actually take advantage of that is another question. But it does make the PS4 more interesting than the thinly-disguised PC with mediocre performance that it first appears to be.

Instead, it's a truly heterogeneous computing platform, a system-on-a-chip design that could shake up the way modern games are made.

Given that a lot of the earlier attention (and I include myself in that) was on the relatively disappointing specification of the AMD-sourced CPU cores, that's really good news.

At the very least, the improvements in memory performance should encourage game devs to be miles more ambitious regards the scope and scale of worlds they create.

What does it all mean for the PC?

Exactly what it all means for the PC is harder to judge. Will AMD bring out a similarly powerful APU for use in conventional PCs?

That was certainly its plan. But more recently AMD's attention has shifted towards ultra mobile computing. And, frankly, assuming AMD will survive long enough to ship PlayStation-like APUs for regular PCs, even if that's still the intention, is a bit of a stretch.

Despite that, I'm optimistic. The PS4 and the next Xbox will lift the standard of games development. And the close hardware relationship of the PC can only make it easier for games to be ported across and even improved to take advantage of the power of the PC.

Because whatever happens, the PC will remain the most powerful gaming platform for the foreseeable future. The only difference now is that the consoles are more closely related than ever before.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/1134221

i hardly think this is true or i might be wrong
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Elder
    Which part? It sounds mostly true to me.

Except the 7850 part, its not confirmed but I think its closer to 8xxx.

and the part about multi platform games, PC will probably be the lead but since it is all X 86 I don't see any loss of quality on ports.

now PlayStation exclusive games made by Sony developers should be extremely impressive..

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post

now PlayStation exclusive games made by Sony developers should be extremely impressive..
    Isn't this the main reason do you choose console over a nice configurated PC? without exclusives, I won't pay a dollar to any console...
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    Isn't this the main reason do you choose console over a nice configurated PC? without exclusives, I won't pay a dollar to any console...
    Yes, the exclusives. 1, 2, and 3 delivered great ones, im sure the ps4 will do the same.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Friendship is Carrots
    The thing about the PS4 going with more generic hardware is that everyone benefits from this:

1. It's easier for developers to port their titles
    2. Indie developers have easier accessibility
    3. It eases development time all around; lowers cost
    4. Gamers see more available games

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Exactly what it all means for the PC is harder to judge. Will AMD bring out a similarly powerful APU for use in conventional PCs?
    It doesn't really mean much for gaming PCs. APUs are for budget builds, and that will remain that way. PC gamers simply cannot rely on an APU, even a relatively high-performance APU present in the PS4. It doesn't have the horsepower to do what they desire. This is why 'lego' components are so desirable for computers. A 150$ APU won't be able to do what a 200$ CPU and 350$ GPU can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Despite that, I'm optimistic. The PS4 and the next Xbox will lift the standard of games development. And the close hardware relationship of the PC can only make it easier for games to be ported across and even improved to take advantage of the power of the PC.
    Well that's not the issue anyways. Typically games are developed for PC then ported down to the consoles. If its not, then the developers are wholly incompetent and this would happen regardless. This will prove a benefit for the PC gaming front though, in the sense that the whole industry is thrust forward on the technical scale. PC games, especially multiplatforms, will finally move ahead and we'll see our unused hardware showing more of its muscle. For a few years now consoles were seriously holding back gaming on a technical level, and PC gamers were effected by that too. Finally things can move forward some.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Superior Member
    Items Guerrilla GamesVitaJoker (limited ICON)
    so?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I dont see where this is a bad thing. Just makes everything more seamless between consoles and PC.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Extreme Poster
    Captain obvious strikes again! (whoever the author of this article is)

and this part
    And the close hardware relationship of the PC can only make it easier for games to be ported across and even improved to take advantage of the power of the PC.

Because whatever happens, the PC will remain the most powerful gaming platform for the foreseeable future. The only difference now is that the consoles are more closely related than ever before.

I'll never understand. Yes, in theory this is true because there's better hardware available as time goes but how much of it is penetrating the market is the real question.

I can guess that the general popular probably gets to play better-looking games on consoles than PC because not all PC gamers are hardcore PC-builders as well...I know WoW users had crappy computers.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    I don't see the reason why specs worries gamers so much, everyone is pretty sure both of them will bring up enough power to their consoles to stand equal to standarts of PCs. Like I said, it is not my problem but devolopers'. And they are happy with PS4, that is all I need to hear. I only wish lots of IPs and maybe new ways to play with my awesome DS4.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Ultimate Veteran
    All video game consoles are thined out pcs with out there huge operating systems that take up huge amounts of memory.the ps3 and 360 os uses very little memory ..

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    And this is bad how....? Last gen (PS3/360) they were berating the PS3 for not being more like a PC.

Now that the PS4 is more dev-friendly....we get...this?

Oh gaming media - sit there content in the thought that you are actually "journalistic"....

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    A computer is a computer. Things were always going to go this way eventually, it's globalisation in silicon.

I'll tell you a couple things it means for PC gamers;

first, your next video card may very well come with twice the amount of VRAM as your last and won't cost any more. Sony are going to drive the price of GDDR5 down. If this does happen and I hope it does we may actually see a huge shift in game design. At the moment theres a few notable open world games but they sacrifice detailed, atmospheric interiors. The majority of games are linear experiences often confined to a corridor or two at a time. Now we may start seeing the best of both worlds.

Second, no more blaming consoles when a developer makes a rubbish PC game. Although some will still do so. Bad developers won't have anything to hide behind now.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Definitely agree with that. This upcoming set of consoles is going to open a can of shiat to a whole new level. You will see developers that are full of $#@! and you will see developers with a lot of passion.

I also agree with the prices for GPU's will most likely go down because of this. However, AMD has always been good for reasonable priced GPU's compared to Nvidia which I personally think are overpriced, unless of course you use a high-end GPU for video editing which makes perfect sense. The fact that the PS4 will be able to switch between how much GDDR5 will work in the video card is awesome. In my opinion though I don't believe we will see more that 3GB of GDDR5 used on the GPU. The normal may most likely be 2GB of GDDR5 which is great. While the rest is thrown elsewhere to make for better performance and other such things.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 03-04-2013 at 13:59.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    A computer is a computer. Things were always going to go this way eventually, it's globalisation in silicon.

I'll tell you a couple things it means for PC gamers;

first, your next video card may very well come with twice the amount of VRAM as your last and won't cost any more. Sony are going to drive the price of GDDR5 down. If this does happen and I hope it does we may actually see a huge shift in game design. At the moment theres a few notable open world games but they sacrifice detailed, atmospheric interiors. The majority of games are linear experiences often confined to a corridor or two at a time. Now we may start seeing the best of both worlds.

Second, no more blaming consoles when a developer makes a rubbish PC game. Although some will still do so. Bad developers won't have anything to hide behind now.
    Excellent points. +rep Especially the point about blaming consoles. Devs have always used this crutch.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Ports... blah

Otherwise, these devs better start showing what they're capable of and the distances their imaginations run and yes, stop using the consoles as the scapegoat. Hell I take it back, f*k ports! Make your game as ambitious as you dream. If a certain platform can't run it in it's true conception, TO HELL WITH THEM!

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    Ports... blah

Otherwise, these devs better start showing what they're capable of and the distances their imaginations run and yes, stop using the consoles as the scapegoat. Hell I take it back, f*k ports! Make your game as ambitious as you dream. If a certain platform can't run it in it's true conception, TO HELL WITH THEM!
    Since PC games are already that way, we might start seeing games that will scale depending on the hardware. So your wish might just come true.

Still it will affect the game design because even if you have a high and a low, it still all has to be relevant at some point and it all has to fit. So PC suffers due to having so many configurations and consoles.

I think we might start seeing more PC gamers coming to consoles that can't afford the high prices. Because we might start seeing more comparable graphics (while high-end PCs being the outliers) and as long as they're outliers, PC gamers will keep coming to consoles.

This generation is going to be a revolution imo.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    The PC gamers I know are mostly about the mouse and keyboard. That and pirated games.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Extreme Poster
    Good point. But I wouldn't say all of them are and PS3 supported mouse/keyboard (even if in very few games), maybe just maybe these PC ports might support? If true then definitely more people will come. If not, we will still get more PC gamers than previously .

Yea the piracy thing is difficult but there has to be a market that likes steam games...and they might find this an alternative.

Ultimate Veteran
    Honestly, it's only a thinly disguised PC for the developers who don't want to or don't need to reach into the guts of the thing and pull out the best performance. Let's face it, not every developer designs a game with the soul goal of making a AAA graphics powerhouse. However, there should be some customization in the PS4 that will allow the big budget AAA franchises to dig in and do what they do.

If Shadowfall is anything to go by, I'd say it's a very real reality.

20. Likes Omar, PS4freak likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Honestly, it's only a thinly disguised PC for the developers who don't want to or don't need to reach into the guts of the thing and pull out the best performance. Let's face it, not every developer designs a game with the soul goal of making a AAA graphics powerhouse. However, there should be some customization in the PS4 that will allow the big budget AAA franchises to dig in and do what they do.

From what we have seen there is going to be a lot of potential for devs to tap into with this system. The games look great so far and that is pre launch. Imagine what they will look like when they get into the groove of things with the architecture and feel right at home. I know, awesomesauce.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post

Even if it wasn't customized...being a closed-box, it would definitely help. They can take a regular PC of today and if they made a game just for that PC, it would look far better than anything ever out in the market

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Even if it wasn't customized...being a closed-box, it would definitely help. They can take a regular PC of today and if they made a game just for that PC, it would look far better than anything ever out in the market
    Yeah having a universal game for universal support definitely brings the overall quality of what it could be down. If they developed games solely for the most cutting edge PCs on the market only our eyes would burst. I think that is one reason why console stay up pretty well with the times because it is closed and they are working on a single format. Mostly why exclusives look better than multiplats for the most part. They can tap all their resources into it without worrying about it working on something else.

Extreme Poster
    Yup, however we're likely not going to see a huge difference this time around because the playing field is more leveled, if any.

I'm thinking we might see some difference in the beginning because Sony will spend extra just to show off the hardware, but it'll level off after a year or two...if they prove me wrong, then good job, but I'm not expecting it.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Yup, however we're likely not going to see a huge difference this time around because the playing field is more leveled, if any.

I'm thinking we might see some difference in the beginning because Sony will spend extra just to show off the hardware, but it'll level off after a year or two...if they prove me wrong, then good job, but I'm not expecting it.
    Yeah the way I'm seeing it is that if Xbox 3 specs are correct then the difference will disappear fairly quickly. Ps4 may command a slight screen resolution advantage but as far as the overall look and feel of the visuals it will be practically identical.

I'm starting to see why Nintendo have been saying that the difference won't be as big this generation as it was for the last. We are well into the land of diminishing returns for the hardware.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    Yeah the way I'm seeing it is that if Xbox 3 specs are correct then the difference will disappear fairly quickly. Ps4 may command a slight screen resolution advantage but as far as the overall look and feel of the visuals it will be practically identical.

I'm starting to see why Nintendo have been saying that the difference won't be as big this generation as it was for the last. We are well into the land of diminishing returns for the hardware.
    You're probably right about the dimishing returns aspect but the only reason there won't be much difference with visuals is because of the lowest common denominator factor. The difference between the rumoured specs is fairly substantial, all things being equal

Thread Information