Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Sony has only released vague info about the CPU inside the PS4, so until they come forward with more concrete info there is no telling how customized the APU is actually going to be. I don't expect it to be like the standard Jaguar core since that just wouldn't make sense to throw the generic design in there, I would assume that is based on that design, but heavy modified for the console.
    They're not throwing the generic design in there, but it's also unlikely that they're modifying the actual CPU core. The APU consists of CPU cores, GPU and memory controller. The chip is obviously custom, since no PC APU uses eight such cores with a GPU this powerful, coupled with a GDDR5 memory controller. However, it's much more unlikely for Sony to have ordered changes to the actual CPU core, since that's an expensive and pretty risky thing to do. Besides, if they changed the core, it wouldn't be called Jaguar anymore. Given that Jaguar is a low-frequency design, I wouldn't expect more than 1.6-2.0 GHz in the PS4.

Elite Guru
    Here's something for ya!

Leaked #2 (Custom Vector operand)(not X86 or A very Custom CPU)

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtop...3497&start=440
    "Poster Blacken00100
    "So, a couple of random things I've learned:

-It's not stock x86; there are eight very wide vector engines and some other changes. It's not going to be completely trivial to retarget to it, but it should shut up the morons who were hyperventilating at "OMG! 1.6 JIGGAHURTZ!".

-The memory structure is unified, but weird; it's not like the GPU can just grab arbitrary memory like some people were thinking (rather, it can, but it's slow). They're incorporating another type of shader that can basically read from a ring buffer (supplied in a streaming fashion by the CPU) and write to an output buffer. I don't have all the details, but it seems interesting.

-As near as I'm aware, there's no OpenGL or GLES support on it at all; it's a lower-level library at present. I expect (no proof) this will change because I expect that they'll be trying to make a play for indie games, much as I'm pretty sure Microsoft will be, and trying to get indie developers to go turbo-nerd on low-level GPU programming does not strike me as a winner. "
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    Here's something for ya!
    Pretty unexpected, but really cool if it's true! Adding some additional customized hardware is definitely easier than trying to turn a low-frequency design into a higher frequency one.

EDIT: Hmm... I guess they could perhaps have attached the vector units as a separate entity connected to the chip's internal bus. Speculating some more, it could also run in different clock domain with significantly higher frequency than both the CPU and the GPU. Will be interesting to get to know the details over the coming months.
    Last edited by Mikael; 03-05-2013 at 09:02.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    They're not throwing the generic design in there, but it's also unlikely that they're modifying the actual CPU core. The APU consists of CPU cores, GPU and memory controller. The chip is obviously custom, since no PC APU uses eight such cores with a GPU this powerful, coupled with a GDDR5 memory controller. However, it's much more unlikely for Sony to have ordered changes to the actual CPU core, since that's an expensive and pretty risky thing to do. Besides, if they changed the core, it wouldn't be called Jaguar anymore. Given that Jaguar is a low-frequency design, I wouldn't expect more than 1.6-2.0 GHz in the PS4.
    I don't think they are specifically modifying the cores themselves, but I do bet the way the whole APU is wired that it will be a very custom design compared to the plain vanilla one. It will be interesting how everything pans out here in the months leading up to the release of the console!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    Here's something for ya!
    Leaked #2 (Custom Vector operand)(not X86 or A very Custom CPU)

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtop...3497&start=440
    "Poster Blacken00100
    "So, a couple of random things I've learned:

-It's not stock x86; there are eight very wide vector engines and some other changes. It's not going to be completely trivial to retarget to it, but it should shut up the morons who were hyperventilating at "OMG! 1.6 JIGGAHURTZ!".

-The memory structure is unified, but weird; it's not like the GPU can just grab arbitrary memory like some people were thinking (rather, it can, but it's slow). They're incorporating another type of shader that can basically read from a ring buffer (supplied in a streaming fashion by the CPU) and write to an output buffer. I don't have all the details, but it seems interesting.

-As near as I'm aware, there's no OpenGL or GLES support on it at all; it's a lower-level library at present. I expect (no proof) this will change because I expect that they'll be trying to make a play for indie games, much as I'm pretty sure Microsoft will be, and trying to get indie developers to go turbo-nerd on low-level GPU programming does not strike me as a winner. "
    Playstation 3 has always used libGCM (Sony's own API like MS's DX) as far as I know and its the API with the least amount of overhead (very low level). Why would you think they are going with libGCM JUST for indie devs? makes no sense. Rather they are just using their own API once again which is pretty awesome at to begin with.

Also this is hilarious
    Last edited by Itachi; 03-05-2013 at 15:54.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Playstation 3 has always used libGCM (Sony's own API like MS's DX) as far as I know and its the API with the least amount of overhead (very low level). Why would you think they are going with libGCM JUST for indie devs? makes no sense. Rather they are just using their own API once again which is pretty awesome at to begin with.
    From what I know they are using libGCM again but that expected, it is a very powerful and reliable bit of kit.

Ps3 could also use OpenGL ES 2.0 but this was mostly done in the first year or so and has been abandoned completely since.

Thread Information