Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

2. Likes ToXiCNiGhTMaRe likes this post
    Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    A game can still be bought and cracked.
    Of course. I actually crack my games usually anyways. Though an issue here is some may not want to support this business practice.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    How about you pay attention to this, Rapture. You won't change my opinion.
    You know, if you had actually understood my posts you would know this was never the case to begin with. Some people, I swear.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    A game can still be bought and cracked.
    I have done that with lots of games over the years, I got sick of clicking the desktop icons only for a popup to say "please insert play disc" whenever I fancied a game of max payne 2 for example.
    I Also did it for Crysis, my CD key wasn't working because I used up all the activations so I downlaoded a crack. But before that I posted abotu the problem on steam forums because I bought it from steam then I updated the thre with how I "fixed"it and received an infraction fromt he mods for "advocating piracy"

Ultimate Veteran
    End of the day, you don't stop piracy by making it harder for paying customers to use your product. You stop piracy by making it easier to get and use your product by purchasing it rather than pirating it. Just look what happened to music piracy after iTunes. It went down by quite a lot more than people expected.
    Other opinions are available.

6. Likes sainraja , Nerevar likes this post
    Finally You Are Free
    When it comes to digital goods and platforms, accessibility and ease of use are key to success and gaining consumer trust. This have been proven time and time again. EA seems to enjoy ignoring reality though, then they wonder why other services such as Valve's Steam and Amazon are much more successful. All piracy arguments aside, everyone here should want EA to rethink their customer treatment and business strategies. Both the consumer and company would better benefit in the end.

8. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Dedicated Member

I don't agree with everything BBK is saying about this, but I think his main message is correct - why should we get something for free, just because we want it but don't like how it is offered to us? If we don't like how the product is offered, the most effective and ethical way we can protest to force changes - such as the removal of DRM - is to not play the game at all.

Pirating is not stealing, but it is not ethical either. It's up to us as individuals to decide if we are OK with that, but we shouldn't pretend it is ethically justified.

10. Likes Ghost , Itachi , Nerevar likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    While you guys are arguing back and forth I've been enjoying the game today server fault free. Yes yesterday I couldn't really play it and after I finished work today for about a couple hours the game's server wasn't brilliant, but from 5pm onwards it's been smooth as silk and I've just stopped playing and ended up with this:

Yes EA has now burned me as I couldn't play yesterday at all and I now will no longer purchase an EA product for the foreseeable future much like Ubisoft, but unlike Ubisoft at least I can play SimCity after a day rather than Anno 2070 being unplayable for 3 weeks until they patched in uPlay for offline mode.

And while I'm not happy about yesterday at least EA are giving me a free game at the end of the day, it'll probably be crap but meh it's free anyway.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    While you guys are arguing back and forth I've been enjoying the game today server fault free. Yes yesterday I couldn't really play it and after I finished work today for about a couple hours the game's server wasn't brilliant, but from 5pm onwards it's been smooth as silk and I've just stopped playing and ended up with this:

Yes EA has now burned me as I couldn't play yesterday at all and I now will no longer purchase an EA product for the foreseeable future much like Ubisoft, but unlike Ubisoft at least I can play SimCity after a day rather than Anno 2070 being unplayable for 3 weeks until they patched in uPlay for offline mode.

And while I'm not happy about yesterday at least EA are giving me a free game at the end of the day, it'll probably be crap but meh it's free anyway.
    LOL! What's with your guy on the top right?

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Stand up, Apologist! Stand up! Tell me how this secures the future of awesome games! C'mon! STAND THE $#@! UP! You naive mutts! That right there is pure horse $#@!. Feel bad for those who bought it and experience this. But fear not, friends....

It will only get worse in the Next-Gen

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Found this on gaf and thought it was funny

15. Likes Shingo , Brandon likes this post
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Found this on gaf and thought it was funny

Win... just total win.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    LOL! What's with your guy on the top right?

That guy is my town's hero who goes around rescuing people, catching criminals, and trying to capture the evil Dr. Vu. xD

He's like Batman really.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    So if i bought a hamster and got a cage and food and little things does that mean i am a favorite of the hamster world...

E.A has this mind set and believe we will fall for it
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Valefor View Post
    I don't agree with everything BBK is saying about this, but I think his main message is correct - why should we get something for free, just because we want it but don't like how it is offered to us? If we don't like how the product is offered, the most effective and ethical way we can protest to force changes - such as the removal of DRM - is to not play the game at all.

Pirating is not stealing, but it is not ethical either. It's up to us as individuals to decide if we are OK with that, but we shouldn't pretend it is ethically justified.
    Yeah, you've made the point I was trying to make better than I did it myself

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    All piracy arguments aside, everyone here should want EA to rethink their customer treatment and business strategies. Both the consumer and company would better benefit in the end.
    That I can't disagree with. Hopefully they will change the direction they have gone. It took Ubisoft a while to realise how ridiculous it was before they removed it.

They don't even have to remove it. Just make it less intrusive. If it needed to connect to the server once every 7 days I doubt people would complain as much. It's the constant online connection I think most, or at least myself, have a problem with.

BBK. Tapatalking.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Yeah, that's right. You stick it to the man by doing exactly what it is that drove them to use the DRM in the first place.

I agree, if you don't like the idea of always on DRM then by all means, boycott the game and don't get EA a single dime. HOWEVER 'gamers' with this self entitlement that think it is their god given right to play a game without purchasing it drive me nuts. You're 31, you probably have a steady job, if you wanna' play it $#@!ing pay for it. Don't be a $#@!ing scrounge.

Seriously, i don't get it. Don't you understand it's because of people like yourself, and others in this thread, that think it's fine for them to just go around pirating games is the reason we have bull$#@! DRM like this in the first place?

When you are younger i can understand piracy a little more - though i still don't condone it - but when you are older and working? I don't get it.

If you enjoy gaming pay your dues a pay for the game. I understand voting with you wallet but just because you don't want to pay for game doesn't mean it automatically gives you the right to download it.
    [/FONT]
    You will have to point out for me exactly where I said 'screw paying for a game, I'll download it instead'.

It is not what I said, it is not something I have ever said.

So thank you for dedicating four entire paragraphs arguing about something I did not even express. Bravo. Now give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done followed by an uppercut.

Now, seeing as you decided to act the fool by putting words in my mouth and completely fly off the handle, shall I explain what said?

Back in the simple days when PC gaming was all about registering keys to play a game I was a very happy camper. Register it once and you are good to go, no fuss, no questions asked, hakuna $#@!ing matata.

And then the 'activate your game online' started rearing its ugly head. Limited installs. Periodic online checks. 'Always $#@!ing online' DRM. A few years back I was deployed overseas on operations, before I left I spent a considerable amount of money (not pirated) on PC games to load up on my laptop while I was away from home for the following 9 months. Guess what happened? 80% of those PAID-FOR games were completely unplayable without an internet connection to either activate them, continue playing them after a certain time, or even start the bloody things up in the first place.

And so let me tell you something, my little holier than though buddy boy of mine, after spending over $400 dollars on PC games that were basically useless to me, I became a game pirate on any game that I wanted to buy that came with any intrusive or quirky online party tricks to play the $#@!ing thing.

Vote with my wallet? That's exactly what I have been doing over the years. Am I going to miss out on enjoying said games? Nope.

It is NOT my right as a consumer to download what I do not want to pay for. I do NOT have any strange self entitlement to free games just because I feel I should not have to pay for it. However, I will not be ripped off by paying for a game and be unable to play it at my own leisure and convenience. I will not be forced to enjoy a game I PAID for at the time and choosing and special circumstances of certain publishers.

TLR

Bite me. Don't accuse me of causing the problem; I reacted to piracy because of their bull$#@!. Publishers are going to punish me for buying their games? They can kiss my arse.
    "Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out." - Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
    Another game I shall be pirating. $#@! your 'always online' DRM.
    Well buddy boy, if that doesn't mean you're not paying for a game, I don't know what does. Who you gonna pay, The Pirate Bay?

BBK. Tapatalking.
    Last edited by BBK..; 03-10-2013 at 14:01.

Apprentice
    And the meaning flew right over his head again...

Yeah, you're on the ignore list mate. Have a nice life.
    "Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out." - Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Elite Sage
    Not sure how else you would've expected me to take it.

Sayonara, I'll miss you.

BBK. Tapatalking.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    solid_sneek
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    E.A do produce excellent games, it's how they go about it

That makes us hate them
    Amen!

solid_sneek

Elite Sage
    Give it a while. They'll realise how stupid it is and change their stance and try to spin it in a way for good PR.

I will give then credit for one thing over steam. At least their Offline mode actually works offline lol.

BBK. Tapatalking.

Apprentice
    Here's what I don't understand. Not to long ago people didn't like steam because the friendslist mainly sucked but there were also a few other problems and right now everyone is praising steam and the so called steambox. I must be in the twilight zone or something. This same thing happened with Microsoft, so many people hated that company and once a console game out they were all like "we all love you Microsoft, you're good people".
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    But will it make others not follow suit and avoid online only games for next-gen if possible... Or make them try a different take on it
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    solid_sneek
    In all seriousness i have heard the game is great. Is anyone actually going to or got this game? I for one have been a big city fan in the past, if they get everything sorted then why not?

solid_sneek

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by solid_sneek View Post
    In all seriousness i have heard the game is great. Is anyone actually going to or got this game? I for one have been a big city fan in the past, if they get everything sorted then why not?

solid_sneek
    I have no plans to just yet, maybe when it's cheaper. I did used to love Simcity, in fact I may play some SimCity4 now.

BBK. Tapatalking.

Elite Guru
    I just purchased the Tropico 4 Collectors edition from Steam. Sim City 2013, like every other Origin game; will never see access to my PC.

Thread Information