Apprentice
    PSN ID
    solid_sneek

How is pc gaming nowadays

I used to be a huge Pc software fan from photoshop to online gaming with counter strike and steam. Iv always been into console gaming and Pc gaming but the latter hasn't been done now for a good few years and I'm starting to miss it. I wondered how is the Pc gaming world treating people? I would also be looking into new software and a Pc as iv only got an Acer laptop. I love watching people gaming online via Justin Tv tv so this would be beneficial.

solid_sneek

Elite Guru
    I love PC gaming, although I don't get as much time to play as I'd like.

There are some really excellent games you can only get on PC, such as Path of Exile (free to play, in open beta), Dota 2, Guild Wars 2, Shogun 2 and so on.

Really is something for everyone. What kind of games are you in to? Might be easier to point titles in your direction to give you a flavour of what's available.

Oh, if you're on Steam and would like to try Dota 2; let me know and I'll send you a key.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    solid_sneek
    Oh wicked so its still really active? As I say I'm using a pretty decent laptop ATM but wouldn't risk it playing a high spec game.

solid_sneek

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    PC gaming is pretty strong right now. There's always a boom when the current consoles are showing their age and so it proves at the moment. There's been a few much anticipated sequels from the big boys over the past 2-3 years and plenty of new IP as well. Not to mention a load of indie games.

Kickstarter is proving healthy too, for the most part

On a personal level I finally got a new video card last year and probably play around half my games on PC or perhaps slightly less. To be honest I would play the majority on PC if it wasn't for certain frustrations (controller issues, dual shock 3 has no official drivers and big problem with motioninjoy) and the fact that I have my PC hooked up to my TV, which makes mouse and keyboard difficult.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    used to only play on my PS360 consoles but Started playing Star Wars The Old Republic MMO on the PC not so long ago & liked it that much I picked up a 6 month SUB & pre-ordered the Hutt Cartel Expansion I know a lot of people slate the game but I like it especially when doing group missions or taking down World Bosses etc

Elite Sage
    ^^ Yeah, I found SWTOR to be pretty $#@!ty. Good single player game in a multiplayer setting.

As for PC gaming - It is leads and bounds ahead of console gaming (in my eyes at least) not only due to cheap and F2P games but also because i find it a better community for the most part.

And of course, we get MODS!! It's surprising that the best game i'm playing at the moment happens to be the mod of a game a few years old. Of course, this is only possible on PC

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    changed and now that consoles have near p.c specs, it is challenged
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    lol what Consoles will never ever Challenge the PC unless they start putting High End PC parts in them which would drive the cost on an XBOX or PS through the roof & even then it would still lag behind due to newer more powerful PC CPU/GPU's hit the Market

@BBK Yea I can see your point hate waiting to do an Heroic Mission that no else is doing but yea I am a Level 28 Sith Juggernaught on my 1st playthrough liking the story so far (Though Wished I picked an Assassin so I could wield a double sided Light Saber :P

Elite Member

PC gaming is probably the best it's ever been right now, and about to get a whole lot better.

For years PC gaming required constant upgrades to stay current, but standard have been pretty static for a couple of years now. That's allowed more budget minded systems to still be really good gaming systems, and for gamers to go for more than a year without needing an upgrade. You can still play the latest and greatest games made today on a mid-range PC built more than a year ago without making any significant sacrifices.

And with this new generation of consoles coming out PC gaming only looks to be getting better. The new consoles are basically all using off the shelf PC hardware, X86 CPUs, DX11 GPUs, the same stuff PCs have had for quite some time, so multiplatform games for the consoles will port over to the PC really easily and really well. That means that in most cases you'll be able to play the same games as console gamers with the same or better graphics as console gamers without having to pay the higher game prices of console games nor worry about paying for online services. Win-win all around.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    changed and now that consoles have near p.c specs, it is challenged
    There's no console available on the market right now that 'challenges' a decent rig.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    There's no console available on the market right now that 'challenges' a decent rig.

Nor will there ever be

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Not any more there wont be but throughout the 80's consoles were king and even into the early 90's.
    PC were not meant for gaming they were meant for spreadsheets, word processing and number crunching, they couldn't do side scrolling like the NES could i.e fast and smooth well not until commander keen.

Thread Information