Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

    What's a good route to buy a used car?

    Any car buyers or people searching for a vehicle on PSU?

    I'm saving up for a 2003 and newer vehicle and have run into a problem. I want a foreign car, like a volkswagen Jetta or a Honda Accord. I will take a Ford Fusion. My goal is $3000. The problem is, the the stuff I find for $3000 is 90's or 2001 and older cars.

    My question is, do I need to raise my saving goal from $3000? Am I going to have to go to a dealership to get a car I like?

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  2. #2
    Master Guru
    THUGGEDOUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Jamming to Lamb of God with Pinhead...
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Posts
    7,121
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    145,281 (905,285 Banked)
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Try Autotrader...


    "When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."




  3. #3
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by THUGGEDOUT View Post
    Try Autotrader...
    It's the same case with autotrader. I've tried ebay and craiglist too.

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,148
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    45,578 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    A Honda Accord is a good choice. Almost went for that when shopping for a used car early this year (went with an '04 Nissan Maxima/Teana).
    I am the oncoming storm.



  5. #5
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    A Honda Accord is a good choice. Almost went for that when shopping for a used car early this year (went with an '04 Nissan Maxima/Teana).
    So do I need to come up on my price?

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  6. #6
    Master Guru
    Silvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    21
    Posts
    7,100
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    28,043 (31,233 Banked)
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    You're not going to get a better deal at a dealership. Those guys are devils in suits. Save up more cash and get a car you really want.

    Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    You're not going to get a better deal at a dealership. Those guys are devils in suits. Save up more cash and get a car you really want.
    But from where? It's also high buying private party.

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,148
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    45,578 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    So do I need to come up on my price?
    Going from a quick look on how much each Accord '03 is going for, is around $12K NZD. Roughly $9K USD. That's on average. Could probably save $1 or 2K more - at best. Unless you really find a good deal.

    Will depend on high high you are willing to stoop to, in terms of mileage.
    I am the oncoming storm.



  9. #9
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    18,032
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    65,102 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Buying in spring the prices go up, idealy buy in the autumn and winter for the deals, I bought my car jsut before Christmas and the dealer litterally just knocked 600 off the ticket price.

    doubt you will get a much newer car for $3000, mine cost 3600 ($5,000) for a 2007 plate. Not an Accord though.

    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Going from a quick look on how much each Accord '03 is going for, is around $12K NZD. Roughly $9K USD. That's on average. Could probably save $1 or 2K more - at best. Unless you really find a good deal.

    Will depend on high high you are willing to stoop to, in terms of mileage.
    Seems expensive
    Last edited by keefy; 03-06-2013 at 22:24.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Okay, so either I got to settle for an older car or I need to come up on my price.

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  11. #11
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,148
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    45,578 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Buying in spring the prices go up, idealy buy in the autumn and winter for the deals, I bought my car jsut before Christmas and the dealer litterally just knocked 600 off the ticket price.

    doubt you will get a much newer car for $3000, mine cost 3600 ($5,000) for a 2007 plate.



    Seems expensive
    A little bit yeah. These are premium "Accord Euro" that I'm looking at though. Unless TBW is looking at the non-luxury cars, then it's likely to be more affordable.

    EDIT:

    Mind you, NZ prices might receive a little more of a bump due to our economy and other market factors. So who knows.
    I am the oncoming storm.



  12. #12
    Dedicated Member
    mooninites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Great Below
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Posts
    1,182
    Rep Power
    26
    Points
    564 (0 Banked)
    Items ICO
    I'm actually looking for a car also. My camaro's transmission has given up. Doing a quick search on cars. com I found a bunch of accords and jettas between 3-5k. I would say save a couple more thousand. The cars are going to be high milage and not knowing how the previous owner has maintained it gives you a risk on dependability.

    Sent from my Nexus 4

  13. #13
    Veteran
    RyanGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,822
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    23,928 (615,000 Banked)
    I'd save up more than 3k.

    Ever considered a car loan?

    Probably your best bet.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGT View Post
    I'd save up more than 3k.

    Ever considered a car loan?

    Probably your best bet.
    I have no credit and plus I don't prefer payments. I'm going to pay interest and the car price if I do that.

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  15. #15
    Veteran
    RyanGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,822
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    23,928 (615,000 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I have no credit and plus I don't prefer payments. I'm going to pay interest and the car price if I do that.
    Not sure how old you are but could you possibly get someone to co-sign for you?

    If not, I'd recommend saving up a little bit more .. maybe in the 5-6k range? When you go to check a car out make sure you bring someone with you who knows what they're looking at because once you buy the car, it's yours.. even it if the engine falls out right when you get onto the street with it.

    I actually got my car on craigslist about 3-4 years ago. 2005 scion tc. No problems with it.. just gotta be very careful when buying a car,

  16. #16
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,148
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    45,578 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGT View Post
    Not sure how old you are but could you possibly get someone to co-sign for you?

    If not, I'd recommend saving up a little bit more .. maybe in the 5-6k range? When you go to check a car out make sure you bring someone with you who knows what they're looking at because once you buy the car, it's yours.. even it if the engine falls out right when you get onto the street with it.

    I actually got my car on craigslist about 3-4 years ago. 2005 scion tc. No problems with it.. just gotta be very careful when buying a car,
    definitely pays to bring someone knowledgeable with you.

    check this out as a reference:
    http://www.dogandlemon.com/sites/dog..._Car_Check.pdf
    I am the oncoming storm.



  17. #17
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    18,032
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    65,102 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Never view a car in poor light or at night or in the rain, it hides any scratches and dents.

    Always test drive it yourself, never let the owner drive it for you, if they insist just walk away.

  18. #18
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGT View Post
    Not sure how old you are but could you possibly get someone to co-sign for you?

    If not, I'd recommend saving up a little bit more .. maybe in the 5-6k range? When you go to check a car out make sure you bring someone with you who knows what they're looking at because once you buy the car, it's yours.. even it if the engine falls out right when you get onto the street with it.

    I actually got my car on craigslist about 3-4 years ago. 2005 scion tc. No problems with it.. just gotta be very careful when buying a car,
    My father is a pretty good mechanic, so that part is covered.

    As for cosigning, I don't like payments but if I did I'd have to have someone willing to cosign with me. I don't want to put anyone through that.

    I have no problem settling or saving up more. I'd probably save up in that 5 to 6k range just like you said.

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  19. #19
    Veteran
    RyanGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,822
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    23,928 (615,000 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    My father is a pretty good mechanic, so that part is covered.

    As for cosigning, I don't like payments but if I did I'd have to have someone willing to cosign with me. I don't want to put anyone through that.

    I have no problem settling or saving up more. I'd probably save up in that 5 to 6k range just like you said.
    Yeah that's probably your best. Not saying you can't get one for 3k because you can.., like I said, just be careful. That's good that your dad is a mechanic, you should have no problems there. Check out craigslist.

  20. #20
    Dedicated Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,386
    Rep Power
    52
    Points
    9,353 (0 Banked)
    If you want a European or Japanese car on at least a 2003 plate, you're going to have to raise your budget. If you want to stay within your budget, buy an older model. However, it's worth paying more for a newer vehicle, because running costs should be lower.

    If you want the lowest price, just buy privately from Autotrader or something. Do NOT buy off e-bay, unless you test drive it and check its documentation and history before purchasing it.

    That's another thing - test drive any car before you buy it, it's a must.

    If you want peace of mind, buy from a dealership because it should come with a 12 month warranty at least, and reputable dealers must put all their cars through a pre-sales check to guarantee their safety. Don't be scared of visiting a showroom, and make sure to haggle on price. I used to sell premium cars at a main dealership (BMW), and even we were willing to bring down the price to guarantee a sale. Just beware that you won't get as big a discount on a used car because there is less profit to work with than on a new car's RRP.

  21. #21
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,937
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    153,505 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    Look into local city auctions, they will auction off all sorts of cars, some crap some good at pretty reasonable prices! I know around the DFW area here in Texas you can find stuff at:

    http://www.renebates.com
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 03-07-2013 at 01:17.

    -=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

  22. #22
    Veteran
    RyanGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,822
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    23,928 (615,000 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Look into local city auctions, they will auction off all sorts of cars, some crap some good at pretty reasonable prices! I know around the DFW area here in Texas you can find stuff at:

    http://www.renebates.com
    Yup auction is another good option.

  23. #23
    Forum Sage
    DeviousOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Orlando FL
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,551
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    61,675 (1,943 Banked)
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    $#@! auctions!!! I do this as a side business buying cars selling them all that good fun $#@! LMAO

    With 3k you can find a Good car on craigslist...i can tell you your not gonna find an accord that year for that money maybe a VW but those car are problems hell im dealing with one right now LMAO

    You can get a nice Kia or hyundia for about 3k 03 or newer....

    if you have any questions just PM me ill help you out TBW

    ~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

  24. #24
    Apprentice
    DeadCrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    443
    Rep Power
    15
    Points
    6,312 (0 Banked)
    Those options are very limited. Especially for $3000. You're going to have to raise more than that. Don't limit yourself with only 3 cars brand. You're not going to find any of those for that price. And having 90's or 80's aren't bad. I've been trying to get Toyota AE86 Trueno for a while now. Open up your options more.
    Oh, I'm sorry did I break your concentration I didn't mean to do that. Please, continue. - Jules

  25. #25
    Forum Sage
    DeviousOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Orlando FL
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,551
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    61,675 (1,943 Banked)
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadCrow View Post
    Those options are very limited. Especially for $3000. You're going to have to raise more than that. Don't limit yourself with only 3 cars brand. You're not going to find any of those for that price. And having 90's or 80's aren't bad. I've been trying to get Toyota AE86 Trueno for a while now. Open up your options more.
    Those AE86 go for alot more than im willing to pay for a car that year

    ~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.