Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation

God of War Ascensions reviews

So, the review embargo has lifted and there's scores ranging from 7 to 9.2/10

We gave it 9/10 - http://www.psu.com/a018637/God-of-War--Ascension-Review

What I don't understand is, what do people want from a game these days? There's no way on this Earth it should get a 7. GoW: Ascension isn't the best game in the series, but it is a brilliant game in its genre.
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awesome work sir! I'm so hyped for this game!!!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Apprentice
    Yes I know. All the German reviews were pretty bad. But "giga" and "GamePro" and "Gamestar" (these are the names of the channels) aren't that good anyway.

Even Adam Sessler from Rev3Games $#@!ed about it "being the same" or something like that, yet when he got to play the demo a few weeks ago, he was enthusiastic and said "finally the series has realized that the focus should lie on the blades, not some secondary weapons I get from bosses". LOL and now everybody seems to be comlaining that there's elements for the blades, not other weapons? I mean are you $#@!ing kidding me?

And then there's this "OMG it's a prequel, that suckzzzz!!!" argument. Well, it's not an argument.

Whatever. I don't need some guys on youtube to tell me that GOW is good or bad. I know what it is, I've played it since day 1 and Ascension seemed better than any other GOW in the demo. PSU seems to be the only one to give the game a good score. You know, technically, If 10 is the best score, then 0 has to be the worst. That means that 5 has to be the average. 7 would be a great game on a 0-10 scale. But nowadays most people rate between 7 and 10. 7 being "bad" and 10 being "great".

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Nice review Steven. Sounds like another epic installment. I was surprised by scores on other sites, probably getting docked a point or two for being samey I guess.

I noticed some sites complain that Kratos a little more human/"nice" in this one? I thought everyone hated how obscenely angry he usually is lol

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    I dont even know who 90% of the review sites are.. so I just pretend they dont exist. I got preordered so I was initially worried it wasnt that great, thankfully PSU made it seem half decent. (PSU seems to have tastes on par with my own XP)
    Last edited by Fenix; 03-07-2013 at 21:02.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    So, the review embargo has lifted and there's scores ranging from 7 to 9.2/10

We gave it 9/10 - http://www.psu.com/a018637/God-of-War--Ascension-Review

What I don't understand is, what do people want from a game these days? There's no way on this Earth it should get a 7. GoW: Ascension isn't the best game in the series, but it is a brilliant game in its genre.
    If it's not the best in the series then i can see why it would get a 7. For me im sure it will be a solid 8 if it's better than the disappointing GOW 3.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    What I don't understand is, what do people want from a game these days? There's no way on this Earth it should get a 7.
    I look at it from a different standpoint. Why the hell is a 7 considered a poor review these days? Everything below an 8.5 is considered $#@! by people these days and that is a terrible reviewing standard to adhere to.

EDIT: pic related

Last edited by Shibby; 03-07-2013 at 21:08.

8. Likes DarkVincent07, Ghost , Fon , Lethal likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    How long is the storyline? I enjoyed GOW3 just wish the storyline was longer. The demo from Ascension didn't disappoint; reminded me of GOW3.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    I look at it from a different standpoint. Why the hell is a 7 considered a poor review these days? Everything below an 8.5 is considered $#@! by people these days and that is a terrible reviewing standard to adhere to.
    yeh it's unfortunate. but then again if I got. 70/100 on a test I consider myself failing the human race. lol

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    yeh it's unfortunate. but then again if I got. 70/100 on a test I consider myself failing the human race. lol
    C's get degrees

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    A 7 is supposed to be a good score. If the game feels like more of the same, but still done well, that's probably what I would give such a game as well.

This is the sixth God of War game (not including the 2D mobile game) and the formula is still exactly the same. If fans are fine with that, then good scores should be enough to inspire a purchase.
    Last edited by Ixion; 03-07-2013 at 21:20.

General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    I agree.

But comparing this to any game that's like this out there then it has to be a 9 for me, samey or not. I've played less than a handful of games that are as good as this in the last year. 7 out of 10 would be doing it injustice

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

Ancient
    Reviewing games like that causes too many problems, A gamer my not buy a game based on the score because he believes its worse then the previous titles, when in fact it better and the reviewer has marked it down for being what it is
    Now I know innovation is needed but its gonna get to point when games like of MGS/GOW or even the new Tomb Raiders quality will be getting 2's because of lack of innovation
    In fact I reckon Tomb Raider 2 will victim to this nextgen, regardless of its quality same with Uncharted 4 or Killzone 4, games that are new ips will maybe receive higher scores even though their quality don't match the older ips
    I think you should review the product for its quality and not look for something it ain't
    If the game is the best in the series like GOWA is said to be then it has succeeded and shouldn't be ranked lower

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Flaw3d Genius
    I agree.

But comparing this to any game that's like this out there then it has to be a 9 for me, samey or not. I've played less than a handful of games that are as good as this in the last year. 7 out of 10 would be doing it injustice

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    You said yourself though that it's not the best in the series....Unless you'd give the best in the series (GOW 1 or 2) a 10/10 a 9 doesn't really make sense.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    I never pay attention to reviews..they are always someone elses opinion, for which i couldn`t really care less..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Master Guru
    Awesome scores for God of War: Ascension.

Just another blockbuster title in the legendary library of PS3 exclusives.

Superior Member
    Items Guerrilla GamesVitaJoker (limited ICON)

I have GOW:A and it is .... awesome.
    Attached Images

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Mainly saying it's the same, feels like it has no purpose, nothing really new etc...

Yet the same websites give halo/COD and AC 9 or 10 out of 10 every time and call it innovative.

Yea.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post

EDIT: pic related

That's what I said. But the review sites use the "new" scale, so a 7 is "bad". I know, a 7 would be great on my (or everybody who's got some common sense) scale, but because it was rated using the idiotic "new" scale, it means it's not that good in their opinion.

But look at the reviews... they're biased, unfair and the reviewers are incompetent. Some don't even know what the hell they're talking about.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Majority of these $#@!tard reviewers will only kiss the ass of the companies that prolly give them more free $#@! or lets their fanboy favoritism take over.

Tap-a-hoe

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    For me 7s are "ok", and generally indicate the game is a bargain bin buy (unless the game is rare in that case spending more cant be helped), 8s are generally $40 and up, 9s are pretty much "buy whenever", and 10s just dont exist in my book. (Use this only for games im interested in, many games I dont bother with and usually I wait for user feedback not reviews)

Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    You said yourself though that it's not the best in the series....Unless you'd give the best in the series (GOW 1 or 2) a 10/10 a 9 doesn't really make sense.
    PSU uses the 100 point scale, not the 10. And based on the past review scores, it wasnt there favourite in the series. (Asension got a 9, while every other GoW title reviewed got a 9.5)
    Last edited by Fenix; 03-08-2013 at 09:38.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by INFAMOUS8 View Post

I have GOW:A and it is .... awesome.
    How is the Last of us demo?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    For me 7s are "ok", and generally indicate the game is a bargain bin buy (unless the game is rare in that case spending more cant be helped), 8s are generally $40 and up, 9s are pretty much "buy whenever", and 10s just dont exist in my book. (Use this only for games im interested in, many games I dont bother with and usually I wait for user feedback not reviews)

PSU uses the 100 point scale, not the 10. And based on the past review scores, it wasnt there favourite in the series. (Asension got a 9, while every other GoW title reviewed got a 9.5)

Surly they didnt give GOW 3 a 9.5? Was poor compared to the first 2 games.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Yeh, how is the Last of Us demo??

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Even worse. How can you really be that specific? What differentiates an 87 from an 86 and so on?

Graded reviews are BS anyway. Most of the time, a reviewer already has a number in mind and then composes the review to match that number. Should just write thoughts about what was good and what was bad about the game, and the reader should judge from that whether that's something he's interested in, not by some arbitrary number, whose meaning is entirely different from one source to the next.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Follow with me here guys for more game plays and etc.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Thread Information