Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: Will PS4 be in first place next-gen?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 96.88%
  • No

1 3.13%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    You are acting like we know nothing about the competition.

This also isn't the first go around for Microsoft and Sony competing against either other. We know that the PS2 greatly outsold the Xbox. We know that despite all the mistakes Sony made, the huge price advantage and the year head start the PS3 and Xbox 360 are basically tied.

It appears Sony is correcting the majority of the mistakes they made with the PS3. We know the next Xbox won't have a year head start and while the similar price is an assumption, it is an very likely and educated assumption. This is plenty to have a discuss on predictions.

Is there a chance the predictions will be wrong? Without a doubt. Same can be said for predictions made a year or two from now. No amount of info is going to change this. There is nothing blind or fanboy like about this.
    I stand corrected, your not only blind but still living in the glory days oft he PS2 as well. There is only one reason. To bring up the ps2 and that is to show dramatically things can change. This is not how you have chosen to see it.

Keep the blinkers on and the faith.
    And it is faith you have. Im not that invested in all this.

For the record, as it stands I'd put money on the ps4, but I'm also realistic enough to know not to place a bet right now.
    Last edited by mynd; 03-08-2013 at 10:15.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I voted yes, but I'm totally biased.
    I also have no idea what the next xbox will be about, and the PS4 features and specs could very well change by the time it gets released. lol
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Superior Member
    I voted yes since it's hard to fathom Sony could do any worse then this gen. Wii-U is going nowhere IMHO.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    @GreatSpaceKoaster

How was Sony the bully of the 90s and 00s?

Why compare the 20GB to the Premium model? Why not to the Core Xbox 360 model? The Core model was more of a factor in sales than the 20GB model was. The $299 price tag was huge at the time.

The cheapest you could get the PS3 at the time was $499 if you were willing to go with a stripped down version. The price was a huge factor, there is no way anyone can deny this. The same can be said for the head start. The head start helped with price drops, early third-party support/performance and sales.

Once the price was more in-line with what it should have been it started selling very well and has managed to basically catch up with the Xbox 360. I don't think there is any denying that the PS3 would be ahead of the 360 right now if it wasn't for the head start and price advantages. In my opinion based on what has occurred with the 360 and PS3 I believe next gen will show this with the PS4 and next Xbox.

No one is saying we are going to see Wii/PS2 numbers versus say current PS3/360 sales. Sales are likely to be somewhat close and may even exchange who is leading a few times(especially at the beginning). Same for the PS3, just because some of us are saying we believe it would be ahead of the 360 if so and so didn't occur doesn't mean we believe it would have been PS2 vs Xbox all over again or anything.

@mynd

This is getting tiresome, especially since it seems you can not discuss this without constant insults. All you are doing is trying to spin what is being said and ignoring parts you don't like to make your point.

Past sales/experience/knowledge has and always will be an influence on predictions. Yes this includes the PS2, it may be an minuscule factor but it isn't something you can just ignore. Do I think the numbers will be anywhere near similar to what the PS2 did? No, nor do I think there will be a huge difference in sales.

Hell, I am not even saying there is no chance the next Xbox outsells the PS4.

How many threads/posts have there been predicting sales of a upcoming game of a established series using the sales of the series over multiple generations of consoles. I know this was done with Final Fantasy and has been done with many other games. You are acting like this is something new. I am willing to bet you have even been guilty of it.

Explain how this is any different?

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    For the record, as it stands I'd put money on the ps4, but I'm also realistic enough to know bot to place a bet right now.
    There was nothing said or done any different than what you just posted here. You just made your opinion know and where you stand at the moment and that all anyone else has done. Any prediction/opinion can change and just about anything can change it. That doesn't make a prediction/opinion made anymore or less fanboyish than any other.

The only ones to seem to have a problem with it are you and GreatSpaceKoaster, something seems to have bugged ya'll so much to resort to insults. Everyone else that felt it was too early for them to come up with an opinion simply stated so or didn't post.

I don't feel there is anything wrong with some feeling it is too early to give an opinion on their prediction anymore than I do for someone that feels there is enough to discuss their predictions/opinions.

As things currently stands some of us believe the PS4 has a good chance being the top seller next gen worldwide next gen, you have yet to explain what the big deal about this is yet or how this makes anyone a fanboy.
    Last edited by Ryunosuke; 03-08-2013 at 10:40.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    This one of those threads i despair for, and wish i had never partaken in. A pointless exercise in asking a pointless question (at this time).
    Wise men have already answered the same as I, i know not why I continue.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Yet when everything was said and done you still stated your opinion on where you currently stand and GreatSpaceKoaster done the same by voting for the PS4. The very thing both of you have called others fanboys for.

Obviously there is a reason you and GreatSpaceKoaster current stand in favor, it's just that some of us decided to type ours out to have something to discuss. This is the only difference to what you and GreatSpaceKoaster, if that makes any of us fanboys then you have to apply the same to you and GreatSpaceKoaster.
    Last edited by Ryunosuke; 03-08-2013 at 11:13.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Yet when everything was said and done you still stated your opinion on where you currently stand and GreatSpaceKoaster done the same by voting for the PS4. The very thing both of you have called others fanboys for.

Obviously there is a reason you and GreatSpaceKoaster current stand in favor, it's just that some of us decided to type ours out to have something to discuss. This is the only difference to what you and GreatSpaceKoaster, if that makes any of us fanboys then you have to apply the same to you and GreatSpaceKoaster.
    The difference is most if us stated our point of view and left it at that.

He was entitled as anyone else to state his opinion. Furthermore he didn't not single out or attack anyone.

Play the ball not the player.
    Last edited by mynd; 03-08-2013 at 11:32.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    The difference is most if us stated our point of view and left it at that.

He was entitled as anyone else to state his opinion. Furthermore he didn't not single out or attack anyone.

Play the ball not the player.
    How is my statements or anyone else's statement anymore than our point of view?

Power Member
    Items User name style
    How is my statements or anyone else's statement anymore than our point of view?
    PMSL, really?

You attached an emotion to him when you had no right to. Who is up to you suggest that he is upset?

but now you are upset that some of us are discussing that Sony has a good chance of recapturing the top spot
    In that single line, not only do you attach an emotional response to him, but you also do the most god awful $#@!ing thing I hate on this forum and divide "them" and "us".

Because we all know if your not with "us" your against "us".

Where did he degrade you response, where did he suggest your singular response was some how less worthy than anyone else's.

The most he did, was suggest that the outcome would be predictable.
    Last edited by mynd; 03-08-2013 at 11:43.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    BS! He may not have singled anyone out but it is obvious who his targets were in his two posts when e insinuated that those that cared enough to vote in the poll or give their opinion on the matter of console sales are fanboys.

There is absolutely no other reason the bring it up when he did than to target the ongoing discussion/poll.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    BS! He may not have singled anyone out but it is obvious who his targets were in his two posts when e insinuated that those that cared enough to vote in the poll or give their opinion on the matter of console sales are fanboys.

There is absolutely no other reason the bring it up when he did than to target the ongoing discussion/poll.
    And there we have it, thanks for proving my point.

If you are so concerned that he was "insinuating" that in the first place, then square him up about it.

P.S. If it was so obvious, why did you bother responding. There is a lot of very easily provoked feelings around here, I guess some people see this is and 2nd redemption.
    Last edited by mynd; 03-08-2013 at 11:54.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    You're joking. I pointed out his hypocrisy with the statement of calling others fanboys while making a similar statement himself. The hope/intent was that it would put a end to it(fanboy comments). I didn't insult him when I made the statement and I didn't imply that he was a troll/fanboy or anything else.

Don't pretend you haven't done the same.

Yes, I didn't give him the benefit of the doubt for his fanboy comment. This is mainly due to coming off just reading two other posts by him in two other threads calling someone else a fanboy.

If anything made it "us" vs "them" it was the constant us of the term fanboy used by you two.
    Last edited by Ryunosuke; 03-08-2013 at 12:21.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Wait. What's wrong with being a fanboy? Isn't it just another term for "brand loyalty"?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    Wait. What's wrong with being a fanboy? Isn't it just another term for "brand loyalty"?
    Most who throw this term around don't even know what it means, they just sling the mud because they feel insecure by the abundance of another person's enthusiasm for their particular console of choice. If this other person doesn't feel the same as the insecure one, then there is an internal conflict where they suddenly feel that the justification of their preference is under fire and they have aligned themselves with an inferior product thus making their tastes inferior. So, in branding the other person a fanboy, the insecure person makes the other's passion irrational and blind and so not really worthwhile. These people then feel better about themselves.

Calling someone a fanboy just because they are a huge fan of something has unfair connotations. Someone who loves Sony and yet can respect and appreciate what the competition is offering isn't a fanboy. These people simply made a choice based on which ever company resonated with them, be it on a price point, philosophical or service standpoint (among many other aspects). Someone who argues that Sony or MS is better without acknowledging and taking into account the merrits of that brand's competition is the fanboy. IMHO it's unrelenting drive continually bash the competition of your preference, only glorifying the apple of your eye while casting the other away as rotten, despite its quality and ability to satiate others.
    Last edited by Ghost; 03-08-2013 at 12:31.

15. Likes Updator likes this post
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    If MS insist on chasing the Kinect crowd they are $#@!ed. The casual market is retreating into mobile games and apps fast, even to the point that Nintendo have trouble getting their interest now. Sony has realised this and they are refocusing their attention back to the core with all the casual and app stuff as an afterthought which will be covered but not the focus.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

17. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Someone who argues that Sony or MS is better without acknowledging and taking into account the merrits of that brand's competition is the fanboy. I
    Isn't that just called preference? Choosing one product over another is just preference, isn't it? Might not be the most researched or insightful preference, but still for the most part a personal preference.

I think it makes more sense if the term "fanboy" should be labeled to someone who unnecessarily insults a person for his or her brand/product preference.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    Isn't that just called preference? Choosing one product over another is just preference, isn't it? Might not be the most researched or insightful preference, but still for the most part a personal preference.

I think it makes more sense if the term "fanboy" should be labeled to someone who unnecessarily insults a person for his or her brand/product preference.
    It's a preference of course, but its the aspect of unduly $#@!ting over something else despite its inherent strengths JUST because it's not your personal choice that makes someone a fanboy imho.

PSN ID
    RipleyExile
    Here's the thing. It depends what number one you are talking about, number one for gamers, number one in sales, etc. If MS do block second hand games and require always on Internet then they could lose market share / sales to Sony in the gaming market. However, if they are going ahead with the media centre direction for the next Xbox then it could still outsell the PS4. Hardcore Xbox gamers will still buy it and so will others, eg film fans. I know someone who currently has a PS3, but doesn't game very often anymore, but he is a big movie watcher and has already said that he will jump to MS because of it's media rumoured focus. Also, if MS chase the Wii buyers with Kinect 2 then they could capture more of the family/casual/party game market and Nintendo have already demonstrated what success can be had there if you get it right (but, you're right that iOS games didn't have the influence they do now).

PSN ID
    BeastyGunner9698
    Quote Originally Posted by RipleyExile View Post
    Here's the thing. It depends what number one you are talking about, number one for gamers, number one in sales, etc. If MS do block second hand games and require always on Internet then they could lose market share / sales to Sony in the gaming market. However, if they are going ahead with the media centre direction for the next Xbox then it could still outsell the PS4. Hardcore Xbox gamers will still buy it and so will others, eg film fans. I know someone who currently has a PS3, but doesn't game very often anymore, but he is a big movie watcher and has already said that he will jump to MS because of it's media rumoured focus. Also, if MS chase the Wii buyers with Kinect 2 then they could capture more of the family/casual/party game market and Nintendo have already demonstrated what success can be had there if you get it right (but, you're right that iOS games didn't have the influence they do now).
    Why buy a gaming console then? Why not just buy a dvd or blu-ray player. It probably be cheaper too.

"A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice." -Bill Cosby

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Dunno..but leaning towards Ps4

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    No, because it can not be helped

On Topic:

They can not be put into this area of top dog, not yet

Because we really do not know everything yet and about what the future holds
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran
    It is indeed a premature question and therefore a premature answer but if Sony plays their cards right with an affordable price then they may be on their way to 1st place.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    It's a bit early to predict anything right now. Very little is known about one and the the other hasn't even been revealed yet. It does look like Sony will have a better launch this time around. All the pressure seems to be on them though.

Apprentice
    That's what predicting is, it's to guess what will happen before it happens. haha
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Dedicated Member

Anything could happen.

But I suspect that MS will dominate North America, Sony will dominate Japan, and Europe will be close with Sony having a slight edge.

But like I said, anything could happen. A high launch price, hardware failures, hell, with as close as this gen has been a few bad game reviews could be enough to cause the advantage to swing to either side. In the end though, I believe it will be a wash. No console will dominate, but while one will be in first place second place will be so close that it won't make any real difference.

The company I expect to have major problems is Nintendo. I just don't see Wii-U sales ever increasing above where they are now, which is pretty poor.

Thread Information