View Poll Results: Will PS4 be in first place next-gen?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 96.88%
  • No

1 3.13%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Forum Elder
    Its settled, I called the psychic hotline and she said yes.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    @GreatSpaceKoaster

How was Sony the bully of the 90s and 00s?

Why compare the 20GB to the Premium model? Why not to the Core Xbox 360 model? The Core model was more of a factor in sales than the 20GB model was. The $299 price tag was huge at the time.

The cheapest you could get the PS3 at the time was $499 if you were willing to go with a stripped down version. The price was a huge factor, there is no way anyone can deny this. The same can be said for the head start. The head start helped with price drops, early third-party support/performance and sales.

Once the price was more in-line with what it should have been it started selling very well and has managed to basically catch up with the Xbox 360. I don't think there is any denying that the PS3 would be ahead of the 360 right now if it wasn't for the head start and price advantages. In my opinion based on what has occurred with the 360 and PS3 I believe next gen will show this with the PS4 and next Xbox.

No one is saying we are going to see Wii/PS2 numbers versus say current PS3/360 sales. Sales are likely to be somewhat close and may even exchange who is leading a few times(especially at the beginning). Same for the PS3, just because some of us are saying we believe it would be ahead of the 360 if so and so didn't occur doesn't mean we believe it would have been PS2 vs Xbox all over again or anything.

The Dreamcast launched 16 months BEFORE the PS2. It had the biggest 24 hours in entertainment history at the time when it launched in the USA. It sold for $100 cheaper then the PS2. The PS2 had more memory, a new bigger disc format (think blu-ray today), a new exotic, hard to program chip that has more computing power then the Dreamcast (again ringing true today with the PS3's Cell vs Xbox 360's Xenon) and launched over a year later then it's competition.

Yet despite Dreamcast having record sales, in the end they lost by a whopping ratio of 15:1 !! People didn't care if the PS2 came out over a year later and was a higher price. Once the specs and the demos were shown, Dreamcast sales started to plummet and PS2 never looked back. Most of the PS1 fanbase returned to the same stable from which their first console came from. I've heard some say it was because of Sega's money problems that the Dreamcast failed cuz they had no more money to dump into it. Well they didn't have the money because the hardware and software sales were drying up FIRST.

But that wasn't the case with the PS3. It launched at a higher price too, a year later, a bigger disc format, a more powerful/hard to program exotic CPU ......and yet they couldn't convince their OWN fanbase to hop over to the PS3 like they could with the PS2. Almost the exact same circumstances and spec advantages and yet PS3 is only now finally getting a 1:1 ratio in the LAST YEAR of this gen when they had a very large 5:1 advantage last gen.

So sorry. We'll have to agree to disagree. No way can you simplify it down to price and the year+ disadvantage. The PS2 had no problem leaving it's cheaper competitor in the dust with almost the same exact circumstances as today. So explain how the PS2 succeeded and the PS3 failed to get most of those users to pick up their console and instead pick up the competitor's console? Kinda shows that the PlayStation Nation was a much smaller group then people assumed it was. Cuz Microsoft said "Jump in!" and apparently a lot of that 5:1 nation said "OK!" and produced a 1:1 nation as a result.

And pertaining to the 360 core as opposed to my premium reference? It barely sold the first couple years. Microsoft and retailers at the time acknowledged the lopsided ratio of premium sales over core sales. The biggest reason was because people realized almost from jump that memory cards were not gonna cut it for storage and it was better to get a console with a hard drive instead of buying it expensively later. The PS3 core at least had that storage. Beyond that, wifi, silver trim and 40 more gigs were all it had over core. People bought a higher percentage of PS3 cores vs. those that bought 360 cores cuz at least it had a hard drive.

When it comes to Sony bullying? Thanks to the PS1 success, Sony started pushing it's weight around. That especially increased with the release of the PS2. Most devs that complained about how hard it was to program had to say it to the gaming press with no names or company names mentioned for fear Sony would retaliate in some way. Eventually after a couple years of the whispered complaints from devs to the press, Sony finally came clean publicly that acknowledged the problem after brushing it off in the past. Nintendo 3rd party devs also had to watch what they said and did with Nintendo watching. Nintendo bullied them over content issues and huge royalty rates as well back in the 80's and 90s.

As for the Fanboy comment? I simply stated that people that care who is #1 are such IMO. Your opinion may vary from mine. But it's how I feel. Be it Sony vs. Microsoft, Ford Vs. Chevy, Apple Vs. Microsoft..... that is my word for those that CARE who is #1.

As for me voting in the poll makes me a fanboy too? Nope. Cuz I define that as those that CARE about who is #1, not those that VOTE as to who they THINK is gonna be #1. I voted simply because if I'm gonna enter the thread and post in it, it's only proper for me to vote in the very poll this thread is about.Ya know what I mean Vern?!?!
    Last edited by GreatSpaceKoaster; 03-08-2013 at 15:00.

3. Likes Bio likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It will be #1st to DeviousOne so yay!!! LOL Wii U will be my Nintendo First Party IP console and party console also my primary netflix machine

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    We really can not tell, the same goes for the xbox720, the same question will be asked of that as well
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    I think at this point it depends on pricepoint. I honestly don't see Sony making ANY of the mistakes they made this generation in terms of pricing. They priced the Vita competitively, and they'll do the same this next gen. They want their market share back. We know it will be a beast(in the console world anyway, wish people would stop comparing it to $#@!ing PC's. Apples and oranges people). We know the first party studios will still be there. So AAA software confirmed. We know 3rd party devs are on board and all have said that it will be easy to dev for, the OS looks solid as hell, along with the OS features being boasted for it. Instant startup? Instant sharing? Instant $#@!.

My biggest fear for next gen? Microsoft releasing a console that is a great deal weaker and devs flocking to it. That will mean games being dumbed down for the Nextboxand hurting the potential of PS4. My biggest hope is that Microsoft releases something comparable in specs so no one platform is left with extra power to burn. Kinda like what happened last generation. The 360 was the focus and then ported to the PS3. So much potential in games lost.

I know where the 3rd party is going to be at next generation. I'm also not going to buy one console on one franchise alone. If all MS has to show at their conference is a Halo tech demo, a no buy...at least not for a couple years. My 360 gathered dust waiting for newly releases of Halo and Gears throughout the years. You shouldn't hinge your success on a 2-3 exclusive franchises.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by INFAMOUS8 View Post
    I don't know if Nintendo can turn it around. They struck gold with Wii.... but Wii U just isn't catching on. The name alone is an anchor to that console. 3rd party support is weak, and will continue to get weaker when PS4 comes out.
    I think they still can turn it around, they are just lucky they produced a dud launch when there is no major new competition against them, they will have at least another 6-8 months to make ground before Ps4 and Xbox 3 release.

There is also the fact that if they get desperate they can do the usual combination of Mario + Price drop, it's not a elegant solution but it does work to some degree.

There is also the fact that Nintendo can occasionally turn out something that captures the publics intrest out of nowhere. I would of said that Wii Sports, Nintendogs and Brain training would all be duds and because of that I know I should never run Nintendo

I'm just saying its not so bad for Nintendo and that they do have options to improve their situation, I doubt they will touch Ps4 or Xb3 sales but they will carve out their own unique market and that's a good thing. You can dislike Nintendo and their machines but I would never want them to disappear as there is always something unique in some fashion coming form them, successful or not.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    @greatspacekoaster

From my retail experience price was the main point( not only one as i mention later but it was number one reason) and here is why. The gaming era changed. It was not die hard fans that were the main buyers of consoles but now parents looking to buy thier kids a system and wanting to save money. The price difference regardless of the potential and blu ray which is what many parents wanted, was what sold the system. Then when billy wanted a gaming system he wanted to make sure he could play with jimmy but jimmy had an xbox and so the ripple effect happened.

So yes the same scenerio happened with ps3 as ps2 and dreamcast but the majority buyer changed. Especially as it was right when the US got hit hard with economy collapse and job loss.

Of course i am speaking all in NA were xbox showed its beat sales(i think). But next gen a clean slate and i am super curious who rises.
    Last edited by Yuuichi; 03-11-2013 at 13:51.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Flaw3d Genius
    PS4 will win no problem as the Japanese wont buy the forthcoming American console.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    I think they still can turn it around, they are just lucky they produced a dud launch when there is no major new competition against them, they will have at least another 6-8 months to make ground before Ps4 and Xbox 3 release.
    The problem with that is that for the next 6-8 months there are no GAMES for it.

Nintendo cannot turn around there sales without games, and the Wii-U is a barren wasteland when it comes to big game releases. It will get some 3rd party ports from the PS3/360, but there are no big exclusives and the ports its getting aren't going to make anyone give up their PS3/360 for it.

There is also the fact that if they get desperate they can do the usual combination of Mario + Price drop, it's not a elegant solution but it does work to some degree.
    Mario will only go so far, and will only appeal to existing hardcore Nintendo fans. That's not going to push Wii-U sales up at all. By far the best selling franchise on the Wii was Wii Sports. Even Wii Fit nearly doubled the sales of the best selling Mario game. (Not counting party-type games that happened to have the word 'Mario' in the title.)

What made the Wii a success was the oft called non-gamer. Old people in retirement homes, mom looking for an easy workout, novelty buyers. That's why the Wii Sports franchise sold over 113 million copies and Super Mario Galaxy only sold 10 million.

I'm just saying its not so bad for Nintendo and that they do have options to improve their situation, I doubt they will touch Ps4 or Xb3 sales but they will carve out their own unique market and that's a good thing. You can dislike Nintendo and their machines but I would never want them to disappear as there is always something unique in some fashion coming form them, successful or not.
    The problem with the Wii-U is it's everything that the Wii isn't. With the convoluted and overly complicated controller, coupled with the fact that you cannot buy a second one really hurts the party game potential of the system, which was the ONLY reason the Wii was so popular. Add to that the total lack of games, and there really isn't any reason for anyone other than the most hardcore Nintendo fan to buy one.

I honestly don't know what Nintendo was thinking when they came up with the Wii-U. Everything about the system sounds like it was doomed to failure before it ever launched. Last-gen hardware. Not party game friendly. Huge, complicated, and expensive controller. Only one tablet controller per system with no ability to buy second ones. Costs more than a PS3 or 360, yet isn't competitive with the PS4 or next Xbox. And virtually no games for the first year on the shelves.

Nintendo couldn't have done much worse if they had been deliberately trying to produce a failure.

Master Poster
    It comes down to Price and Killer Apps that market the console...honestly Nintendo $#@!ed up...and Im surprised because I thought they would have taken advantage of the Wiis surprising dominance and Microsoft will shoot themselves in the foot if their item costs more or doesn't play used games
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

PSN ID
    o0_StatiK
    It's way too early to tell.

However, with everything that has been announced by Sony so far, has everything going for them. Microsoft's next gen console only has speculated rumors about it so far, nothing significant even.

Thread Information