Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Take-Two: New GTA every two years would degrade series value

Take-Two Interactive has explained why it does not release a new Grand Theft Auto game every two years. Speaking during the Wedbush Transformational Technologies Conference this week, chief operating officer Karl Slatoff explained doing so would degrade the franchise's value.

"Often times people ask us 'Why don't you come out with Grand Theft Auto every two years?' To us, that doesn't make sense, because Grand Theft Auto, every single time it comes out, is a brand new experience. You can't possibly do that in two years. And if we did that, our product would fatigue and the franchise would degrade from a value perspective."

Slatoff's comments match up with Rockstar North developer Leslie Benzies, who said in November that the company could develop a new GTA title every year, but won't.

"We could easily have churned out a new version year after year without really progressing as a franchise, but if we did that, eventually the fans would lose interest," he said at the time.

Grand Theft Auto V is due out on September 17 across the world. Slatoff reiterated that this game will feature a world larger than Grand Theft Auto IV, Red Dead Redemption, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas combined.
    via GameSpot.

Good to know these guys still value quality over quantity.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 03-08-2013 at 06:04.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Glad to hear, though I'd like to know what kind of people would want a GTA every other year. That's one of the best parts about the game, that they take their time and you can actually get hyped up about the game. It still makes me laugh whenever I hear Activision announcing that there will be a new COD, as if that was out of the question.

Also, I can't wait to get my hands on the game to check out the map. In past games it always felt like I learned the map way too quickly. I know the past GTA cities better than the town I lived in most my life.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ttech10 View Post
    Glad to hear, though I'd like to know what kind of people would want a GTA every other year. That's one of the best parts about the game, that they take their time and you can actually get hyped up about the game. It still makes me laugh whenever I hear Activision announcing that there will be a new COD, as if that was out of the question.

Also, I can't wait to get my hands on the game to check out the map. In past games it always felt like I learned the map way too quickly. I know the past GTA cities better than the town I lived in most my life.
    Yeah, I know GTA III's Liberty City like the back of my hand. I'm hoping GTA V's game world will actually feature a lot of interesting interiors, water caves and such to explore. I love that stuff.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Glad people still believe in substances. See that Activision, EA and other game rushing $#@!suckas?

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Veteran
    Ubisoft with Assassins creed could learn something from this.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    This is so happy to hear, the GTA series is built on time and quality. I for one champion their decision to never publish a GTA game every two years. Because I approve of the long game making time

They do know they will make money on every GTA game. Also they actually take their time and that is what you want and they want to work out what goes into the game like characters, music, vehicles, landscape, buildings etc...

I would not expect anything less from take-two

Also it is great business sense on their part
    Last edited by claud3; 03-08-2013 at 13:39.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Yeah, I know GTA III's Liberty City like the back of my hand. I'm hoping GTA V's game world will actually feature a lot of interesting interiors, water caves and such to explore. I love that stuff.
    Water caves would be cool. I noticed though on their pictures and the GTAForums community map that the whole Palos Verdes area isn't there, which removes some good possibilities. There's a cave-like area at Abalone/Sacred Cove that they could do their GTA magic on and make it something larger. It had good potential.

I'm sure it will still have a lot of great areas to explore though. Going to love the country areas.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    I see this being the norm for them for a long time and i will be extremely happy with them sticking to this
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGT View Post
    Ubisoft with Assassins creed could learn something from this.
    Exactly.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    This is why a lot of the others want this company and ruin it... This model of business is excellent for the gaming industry and new comers to the gaming market

Should take notice and response the same why...

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    That's why I still hold every GTA game in high regard. Brand fatigue is a real thing.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

12. Likes claud3 likes this post

Thread Information