Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckAWD View Post
    Fooey! Is there anyway to tell from spec sheets whether or not smooth motion is a feature of the TV? I know now that I have to relook at a few models I'm interested in before actually buying.

I can't thank you all enough for all of your help on this decision!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    If the TV is either 120Hz or 240Hz expect some type of 'smooth motion' processing, the question is whether the TV has the option to turn it completely off (aka, Game Mode). My Samsung I keep in Game Mode, where as with the Vizio I can turn it down all the way, but it is still technically 'on'.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

PSN ID
    chuckawd
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    If the TV is either 120Hz or 240Hz expect some type of 'smooth motion' processing, the question is whether the TV has the option to turn it completely off (aka, Game Mode). My Samsung I keep in Game Mode, where as with the Vizio I can turn it down all the way, but it is still technically 'on'.
    Is game mode essentially the same thing as turning off smooth motion? I imagine there has to be some TV or a few that are designed with the gamer in mind able to meet our high demands of quality when it comes to on screen graphics. I will primarily be using the TV for bluray movies and gaming so those are indeed my main concerns.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Markus
    Game mode turns off ALL post processing to reduce response time (lag). It has a better effect on some tvs more than others. Also, many people won't notice the difference in speed. Unless you play fighting games, music games, or online competitive games it's okay to leave it off game mode, since theoretically, game mode reduces the image quality.

PS4 Launch Edition
    PS3 60GB (Upgraded to 500GB)
    Phenom II X4 955, HD 7770 1GB, 6GB RAM

If you add my PSN say you're from PSU or I might delete it!

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I was thinking about getting one of these.
    http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-L.../dp/B00752RABS

It does have a game mode.
    What do you guys think?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post

What do you guys think?
    Panasonic is definitely the brand to go with if you're going the 3D route.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Panasonic is definitely the brand to go with if you're going the 3D route.
    Wont be using 3D at all. Was going to use it mostly for PS4.

Administrator
    Wont be using 3D at all. Was going to use it mostly for PS4.
    Then why buy a 3D TV? o_0

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Then why buy a 3D TV? o_0
    Because i cant find anything good without it.

Administrator
    Because i cant find anything good without it.
    Fair enough.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Markus

What do you guys think?
    I've read those are really solid TVs. How close will you be sitting to it? 42" might be too small

PS4 Launch Edition

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mini E View Post
    I've read those are really solid TVs. How close will you be sitting to it? 42" might be too small
    Still deciding on that.
    Im thinking of putting it next to my PC and if i did that i would be no more than 3 feet away. I actually thought it was too big. I wish they made this model in 32"

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Markus
    Still deciding on that.
    Im thinking of putting it next to my PC and if i did that i would be no more than 3 feet away. I actually thought it was too big. I wish they made this model in 32"
    Yeah, from 3 feet, 42" is quite large. I sit about 5 ft away from my 42".

If you're sure on that distance, Id recommend you keep looking. you can save a TON of money by getting a 32" screen. IT seems like most companies see anything greater than 40" as a living room TV and anything less as a bedroom TV so they are priced pretty differently and tend to have less features. Also, it may be more expensive, but if you're using it for a pc why not look into 30" monitors?

PS4 Launch Edition

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Not sure how long this deal is going to last, but for $698 you can pick up a 60" Sharp LCD at Dell.com, good deal for someone on a budget!

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...550055-919776-

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Yeah, from 3 feet, 42" is quite large. I sit about 5 ft away from my 42". If you're sure on that distance, Id recommend you keep looking. you can save a TON of money by getting a 32" screen. IT seems like most companies see anything greater than 40" as a living room TV and anything less as a bedroom TV so they are priced pretty differently and tend to have less features. Also, it may be more expensive, but if you're using it for a pc why not look into 30" monitors?
    Not for my PC. Next to my PC. Now Im thinking of just getting a 27" monitor and get a external tv tuner.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Markus
    Not for my PC. Next to my PC. Now Im thinking of just getting a 27" monitor and get a external tv tuner.

Playstation 3D Display? Lol half-kidding. you can find them for under 200 USD if you look hard enough
    Last edited by mini E; 03-22-2013 at 17:20.

PS4 Launch Edition

PSN ID
    chuckawd
    Well I finally was able to get a new TV! I picked up a 2013 model LG 47LN5400 that's 1080p, 120hz, and pretty great so far. I still need to tweak the settings a bit to get it perfect but for the price I couldn't be happier.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Markus
    Awesome! Spending some time tweaking the picture settings is a good time investment. You might want to consider getting a calibration disc to help you. Have you decided on your sound setup?

PS4 Launch Edition

PSN ID
    chuckawd
    Awesome! Spending some time tweaking the picture settings is a good time investment. You might want to consider getting a calibration disc to help you. Have you decided on your sound setup?
    I didn't know such a disc existed. Thanks for the information!

I have tried to tweak some of the settings of which there are plenty but I seems to just jump back and forth between my personal settings and the stock "game" setting. All in all its a wonderful TV and for the price I'm very happy. I will try the calibration disc and see if I can squeak anything else out of it.

I haven't figured out my sound setup yet either because the TV sound is already quite loud but it does lack that certain depth of environment if you will so I'm certainly still in the market for a 5.1 system.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Markus
    I didn't know such a disc existed. Thanks for the information!

I haven't figured out my sound setup yet either because the TV sound is already quite loud but it does lack that certain depth of environment if you will so I'm certainly still in the market for a 5.1 system.
    No problem. I'd recommend the Disney WOW Blu-ray disc. It's better for first timers.
    Having a good TV is only half of the experience. Funny thing is I'm currently helping my friend set up a 5.1 system for the ps4. Make sure you get something that can do Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA and set your blu-ray player to output LPCM if possible.There is a good deal right now on a good 5.1 receiver on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V373...8412716&sr=1-6

They're having a yamaha refurbished sale. Here are some full sets to consider:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...rnid=667846011

You can also save a lot of money buying second-hand speakers, as full sets can be pricey. Check your local thrift stores.

PS4 Launch Edition

PSN ID
    chuckawd
    New TV time for me!!!!

I'm looking at the Vizio E500-B1 which is a 50" tv with local dimming. Does anyone have any direct use of this tv or have you seen it in person with a game console at all?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    New TV time for me!!!!

I'm looking at the Vizio E500-B1 which is a 50" tv with local dimming. Does anyone have any direct use of this tv or have you seen it in person with a game console at all?
    50"?! No way, go for 80"! Vizio M801i-A3 80" for less than $3k and it has great input lag!

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M801i-A3-80-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00HVX5OO6

From displaylag.com:
    (only difference between the M801D and the M801I is that the 'D' is a 3D set and the 'I' is non-3D, but they have all the same specs)

PSN ID
    chuckawd
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    50"?! No way, go for 80"! Vizio M801i-A3 80" for less than $3k and it has great input lag!

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M801i-A3-80-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00HVX5OO6

From displaylag.com:

(only difference between the M801D and the M801I is that the 'D' is a 3D set and the 'I' is non-3D, but they have all the same specs)
    Ha! I wish my budget allowed for big spending on a TV but I'm set at $600 or less. From what I've read, the Vizio thag I'm looking at it the best possible value and picture quality under $1000.00.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I was looking at this unit at Costco last Wed. (I've got 48" wide TV nook that's got an old 36" CRT, it's the wife's TV and I don't watch it but it bothers me sitting there, the loan CRT left in the house.) It looked pretty good from my standing distance of around 7' (as close as anyone is likely to be watching it.) That said, they never have TVs optimally configured. And I can't say what kind of delay it has for gaming.

One of the best things to do is go online and read some of the reviews, and do a search for things that you're specifically critical of like possibly game lag. Here's a link to

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E500i-B1...ustomerReviews

Another great source of information is AVSForum.com

It does look like it has a game mode that is intended to reduce lag.

Is this primarily a gaming purchase or all around unit? I personally have gone mostly Samsung for HD, they've got some of the best TVs in the business and are mid-range price wise.

FWIW, March timeframe is when Samsung pushes out their new lines, and they previous year models go on sale at prices that typically beat Black Friday pricing.

PSN ID
    chuckawd
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    I was looking at this unit at Costco last Wed. (I've got 48" wide TV nook that's got an old 36" CRT, it's the wife's TV and I don't watch it but it bothers me sitting there, the loan CRT left in the house.) It looked pretty good from my standing distance of around 7' (as close as anyone is likely to be watching it.) That said, they never have TVs optimally configured. And I can't say what kind of delay it has for gaming.

One of the best things to do is go online and read some of the reviews, and do a search for things that you're specifically critical of like possibly game lag. Here's a link to

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E500i-B1...ustomerReviews

Another great source of information is AVSForum.com

It does look like it has a game mode that is intended to reduce lag.

Is this primarily a gaming purchase or all around unit? I personally have gone mostly Samsung for HD, they've got some of the best TVs in the business and are mid-range price wise.

FWIW, March timeframe is when Samsung pushes out their new lines, and they previous year models go on sale at prices that typically beat Black Friday pricing.
    Thanks for your thoughts! I have dine a ton of research in this TV as well as others and consistently find that the Vizio typically has the highest reviews for picture quality possible. I had the LG 47LN5400 and loved it but the 2014 model (LB5900) is unimpressive and scores lower than the Vizio on all testing quadrants.

It will indeed primarily be used for gaming and Netflix as I don't have cable TV. Also, I use it for CAD drawings for work and the 50" size is perfect for that.

My main concern with the Vizio is the overall product quality as I have seen many users complaining of the TV just turning off sometimes. I'm also somewhat concerned of the longevity of the brand generally as I was very happy with my last LG TV but want something larger with a better picture.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I'd have to say from what I've read Vizio has significantly improved their quality during their short lifetime. Seven years ago they would have been considered bottom tier in terms of quality, but I'd put them in a solid mid-tier in terms of quality today. I wouldn't have bought one 7yrs ago, but today I'd buy one (after researching it of course.)

I did a quick search on amazon's reviews, it appears that out of the 748 reviews 11 of them report turning itself off spontaneously. Most of those report it doing it when using one of the video apps. Figure that 50% of the people who have an issue write a review, and less than 5% of people who don't have a problem write a review, and that's < 0.2% of people have this problem.

I'd not be worried about it, and if it does have these types of problems it's usually extremely early in it's life that they show up (i.e. not a couple years down the road.) My 65" Samsung Plasma blew out a row grid after one hour of use (think 4" horizontal white stripe through the middle of the screen.) I took it back exchanged it for another (was a $2600 Plasma, got it for $1800 3.5yrs ago.) The new one never had a problem.

If you're worried about something like this, then I'd suggest buying it from a B&M store like Fry's/Best Buy/Conn's... If not at least a place that has a good RMA policy.

Thread Information