Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Have a 55 inch vizio smart tv (mid tier) and it's been solid for almost a year now...can't wait for there 4k tv to drop in price

PSN ID
    chuckawd
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    I'd have to say from what I've read Vizio has significantly improved their quality during their short lifetime. Seven years ago they would have been considered bottom tier in terms of quality, but I'd put them in a solid mid-tier in terms of quality today. I wouldn't have bought one 7yrs ago, but today I'd buy one (after researching it of course.)

I did a quick search on amazon's reviews, it appears that out of the 748 reviews 11 of them report turning itself off spontaneously. Most of those report it doing it when using one of the video apps. Figure that 50% of the people who have an issue write a review, and less than 5% of people who don't have a problem write a review, and that's < 0.2% of people have this problem.

I'd not be worried about it, and if it does have these types of problems it's usually extremely early in it's life that they show up (i.e. not a couple years down the road.) My 65" Samsung Plasma blew out a row grid after one hour of use (think 4" horizontal white stripe through the middle of the screen.) I took it back exchanged it for another (was a $2600 Plasma, got it for $1800 3.5yrs ago.) The new one never had a problem.

If you're worried about something like this, then I'd suggest buying it from a B&M store like Fry's/Best Buy/Conn's... If not at least a place that has a good RMA policy.
    I ended up getting the Vizio E500i-B1 at Best Buy for $549.00 which is a stellar price overall I believe. I haven't really tweaked the picture at all yet but so far I'm very happy with it.

I expect to be able to play with it a little more today and see what I can make happen. It does make a very high pitched buzzing sound when it's off though that I can hear when I'm in the room which is a little concerning for me.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckAWD View Post
    I ended up getting the Vizio E500i-B1 at Best Buy for $549.00 which is a stellar price overall I believe. I haven't really tweaked the picture at all yet but so far I'm very happy with it.

I expect to be able to play with it a little more today and see what I can make happen. It does make a very high pitched buzzing sound when it's off though that I can hear when I'm in the room which is a little concerning for me.
    For the buzzing noise, is the TV turned off, or just no input off? Input off but TV left on, I'd somewhat expect to have something like this happening, but if the TV is turned off, then I'd not expect a buzzing noise. I'd actually swap it out and check again.

Those buzzing noises drove me nuts back in the mid 90's when I first started working as an Engineer in cubeland like Dilbert. People would turn off their PC's but leave their CRT Monitors turned on and it would put at a very high pitched sound, that very few people in the office could hear.

I remember once walking into a person's cube to turn it off (I didn't know him at the time) and he had come back because he forgot something. I had just turned off his monitor and turned around and he was right there with a WTF are you doing look on his face. He swore I was crazy and there was nothing to hear. Being an Engineer the next day I grabbed one of our DSP boards and a Mic and recorded the wave form. It was right around 22KHz IIRC. Too high for most humans to hear.

Anyway, I hope you get this resolved.

PSN ID
    chuckawd
    For the buzzing noise, is the TV turned off, or just no input off? Input off but TV left on, I'd somewhat expect to have something like this happening, but if the TV is turned off, then I'd not expect a buzzing noise. I'd actually swap it out and check again.

Those buzzing noises drove me nuts back in the mid 90's when I first started working as an Engineer in cubeland like Dilbert. People would turn off their PC's but leave their CRT Monitors turned on and it would put at a very high pitched sound, that very few people in the office could hear.

I remember once walking into a person's cube to turn it off (I didn't know him at the time) and he had come back because he forgot something. I had just turned off his monitor and turned around and he was right there with a WTF are you doing look on his face. He swore I was crazy and there was nothing to hear. Being an Engineer the next day I grabbed one of our DSP boards and a Mic and recorded the wave form. It was right around 22KHz IIRC. Too high for most humans to hear.

Anyway, I hope you get this resolved.
    The buzzing is when the TV is off entirely. Powered down 100% so maybe I should swap it out and see what happens with a new unit? I read somewhere in a review that someone else had this issue as well but can't find that darn review again.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckAWD View Post
    The buzzing is when the TV is off entirely. Powered down 100% so maybe I should swap it out and see what happens with a new unit? I read somewhere in a review that someone else had this issue as well but can't find that darn review again.
    I would definitely swap it out. If I were to guess, I'd say something is wrong with the power module. Possibly a bad electrolytic capacitor which are known to buzz if they're bad (may still function and buzz, which I'd take as a warning sign.)

PSN ID
    chuckawd
    I would definitely swap it out. If I were to guess, I'd say something is wrong with the power module. Possibly a bad electrolytic capacitor which are known to buzz if they're bad (may still function and buzz, which I'd take as a warning sign.)
    I really hope it's not a series wide issue and if it is, I think many people have less sensitive ears than I do. I'm very happy with the picture and overall value of the TV but this buzzing will absolutely drive me crazy. Back to best buy it goes.

PSN ID
    chuckawd
    Well I was starting to unhook my tv to get it boxed up and realized that it's not the TV making the buzzing sound but rather it's the AC ADAPTER for my energizer controller charging dock. This is fantastic news because the TV is not faulty and it really does have a superb picture compared directly to my LG 47LN5400 from 2013.

Thread Information