Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

PSN ID
    chuckawd

TV and Sound Rig Set Up questions

Hello everyone! Like everyone else, I'm superbly excited for the coming gaming season and of course, the PS4 which leads me to my question...what TV will best suit the PS4 and general HD usage?

I have been researching for a few months and just haven't found anything solid enough to ease my buying decision making me think that I have the best TV possible for my purposes. I want a 40"-42" with at least true 120hz and that's pretty much it. I have also made a $1000USD budget for just the TV as the sound options I can figure out based on the TV selection.

So, what does everyone recommend for a TV for the coming few years?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    For TV's I would try to stick with something like a Samsung or Sharp if your budget allows, also LG is makes some decent sets now as well, just make sure the TV has some type of game mode and be sure to check them out in person somewhere before you actually purchase it! As for a sound setup, since you are on a limited budget you might look at this setup:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-397.../dp/B007PU2X76

I have this setup in my master bedroom and believe it or not it sounds damn awesome! I wasn't expecting it to sound very good, but for the price the sound is incredible!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    one thing to rember the further you sit away from the tv you need to go up in size. if you sit at least 6 feet back a 42 inch tv wont do any thing you will need at least 50 to 55 inch tv. i have a 50 inch plamsa in my room it s awesome for games.
    you can get a nice tv for 1000 dollars i would go with a samsung led you can get a 50 inch for that

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Just check out this site for good deals:

http://www.passwird.com/

They have a Samsung 55" LED 1080p @ 120Hz for $879 through Buydig.com on the site:

Samsung UN55ES6003 55" 120Hz 1080p LED HDTV $879 shipped at BuyDig BuyDig has the Samsung UN55ES6003 55" 120Hz 1080p LED-Edgelit LCD HDTV for $884 - $5 off promotion code DIG5 = $879 with free shipping. Features: 1920 x 1080 resolution, Ultra Slim Design, Clear Motion Rate 240, 2 x HDMI. BUYDIG

PSN ID
    chuckawd
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    one thing to rember the further you sit away from the tv you need to go up in size. if you sit at least 6 feet back a 42 inch tv wont do any thing you will need at least 50 to 55 inch tv. i have a 50 inch plamsa in my room it s awesome for games.
    you can get a nice tv for 1000 dollars i would go with a samsung led you can get a 50 inch for that
    I do sit in the 5-6ft range from the TV indeed and the only reason I haven't considered a larger screen is because my stand, which has a swivel mount, is rated for up to a 42" screen with maximum weight of 90lbs. I assume that as long as I get any sized TV lighter that 90lbs it will be alright.

Another reason I haven't considered a larger screen than a 42" is because I don't want to have to move my head in order to see the whole screen like you do in some very large movie theatres. It makes me crazy dizzy however I am certainly open to a larger screen if its inside my $1000 TV budget.

Are you saying that without a larger screen size noticing quality differences won't be as pronounced with a smaller screen?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckAWD View Post
    I do sit in the 5-6ft range from the TV indeed and the only reason I haven't considered a larger screen is because my stand, which has a swivel mount, is rated for up to a 42" screen with maximum weight of 90lbs. I assume that as long as I get any sized TV lighter that 90lbs it will be alright.

Another reason I haven't considered a larger screen than a 42" is because I don't want to have to move my head in order to see the whole screen like you do in some very large movie theatres. It makes me crazy dizzy however I am certainly open to a larger screen if its inside my $1000 TV budget.

Are you saying that without a larger screen size noticing quality differences won't be as pronounced with a smaller screen?

The further you sit away the bigger screen you will need otherwise you won't be able to tell resolution differences, etc. The Samsung model that I linked above weights in at 51.8lbs for the shipping weight, the weight with stand is 39.7lbs and without the stand it is only 35.7lbs, which is crazy light and way below your max weight for your stand. I have a first gen Samsung LED 55" and it weighs around 65lbs!

PSN ID
    chuckawd
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    The further you sit away the bigger screen you will need otherwise you won't be able to tell resolution differences, etc. The Samsung model that I linked above weights in at 51.8lbs for the shipping weight, the weight with stand is 39.7lbs and without the stand it is only 35.7lbs, which is crazy light and way below your max weight for your stand. I have a first gen Samsung LED 55" and it weighs around 65lbs!
    How is the picture quality on your TV?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    The Samsung probably has one of the best pictures on a LCD/LED set that I have seen, colors look amazing and the image is razor sharp (especially in game mode)! I have the older Samsung UN55B8000.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fugi5wF...00-LED-TV.html

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    TVs these days weihg alot less than 90lbs.

Apprentice
    The major picture difference in a HDTV is usually when you go to the store and look at them, the cheaper ones always look like $#@! and the more expensive ones have a better picture and there is a reason for that setup. It's so they can sell more expensive sets. Now, get any TV you can afford, you don't need to go all out on TV's. Just remember while a cheaper HDTV still can have a good picture, the life of that TV may not be nearly as long. I've noticed more times then not that when you buy a TV, the setting the stores use are different then the settings you will use, which is why the pictures always look better in your house compared to the store.

I'm not saying that expensive TV's don't have an amazing picture, I'm stating that a picture from a cheaper TV isn't going to make you cringe like some stores try to do to people when they explain TV's to their customers.
    Last edited by Coconut_Crunch; 03-08-2013 at 19:16.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    The major picture difference in a HDTV is usually when you go to the store and look at them, the cheaper ones always look like $#@! and the more expensive ones have a better picture and there is a reason for that setup. It's so they can sell more expensive sets. Now, get any TV you can afford, you don't need to go all out on TV's. Just remember while a cheaper HDTV still can have a good picture, the life of that TV may not be nearly as long. I've noticed more times then not that when you buy a TV, the setting the stores use are different then the settings you will use, which is why the pictures always look better in your house compared to the store.
    This is very true, most stores put it on the showroom mode which makes the set look like complete crap. I would highly recommend going to the store and messing with the settings yourself and also read reviews from other owners online, online reviews are your best friend in this situation!

PSN ID
    chuckawd
    As far as output technology or resolution, will any newer TV be a great fit to the PS4?

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Well you're look at the right time of the year - It's change over season and you can usually find last years models for a heck of a lot less money than their retail pricing. I picked up my 64" Samsung Plasma which retailed for $2800 for $1800 last March.

As far as 'output tech or resolution' right now HDMI is the latest a greatest and any new HDMI TV is going to at least have a couple HDMI inputs. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a new TV that didn't support 1080p in the size and price range you're looking for. So from that perspective any newer TV should be a good fit for a PS4.

That said, you want to look at quality 120Hz is a good way to go for LCD, but if you can go Plasma, that would be better.

Start look for deals on Plasma's in you local papers, then go do a bit of research.

Also keep in mind your sitting viewing distance - Sit back to far and that TV is going to be dinky looking and you're also not going to be able to tell the difference between a lot of good quality and great quality TVs. Sit to close and you're going to be seeing the pixels on the set. Pick something that's going to sit in the 1080p range on this chart.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Don't settle for a subpar TV, go for a projector instead! Now THAT will make a difference!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Don't settle for a subpar TV, go for a projector instead! Now THAT will make a difference!

Just be sure to get a Screen Innovations Black Diamond screen so you can watch a perfect picture with the lights ON!

http://www.screeninnovations.com/

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    IF and that's a big if you're in a room w/ total blackout of exterior lighting I'd agree. If not, forget about it. I'm sorry, my friend who has a quality 1080p projector and a high end / high reflective 96" screen just looks washed out when there's the least amount of light coming in from the side of the room.

Yeah, it looks great - Almost as good as my 64" Plasma when it's pitch black out and it's a lot bigger. But my 64" Plasma looks just as awesome in the middle of the day in a fairly well lit room. Just need to make sure there's no windows directly behind the sitting area of there will be glare (LCD's are a bit better in that respect.)

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    IF and that's a big if you're in a room w/ total blackout of exterior lighting I'd agree. If not, forget about it. I'm sorry, my friend who has a quality 1080p projector and a high end / high reflective 96" screen just looks washed out when there's the least amount of light coming in from the side of the room.

Yeah, it looks great - Almost as good as my 64" Plasma when it's pitch black out and it's a lot bigger. But my 64" Plasma looks just as awesome in the middle of the day in a fairly well lit room. Just need to make sure there's no windows directly behind the sitting area of there will be glare (LCD's are a bit better in that respect.)
    That is why you should use a Screen Innovations Black Diamond screen!

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I have a cheapy Emerson HDTV in my office, A plasma in the basement livingroom and a LCD upstairs livingroom which all 3 have a very nice picture. Even the cheap Emerson is nice. Emerson is a cheap walmart TV with a good picture, go give it a look man, you will save a good chunk of money. However, with everything from walmart, make sure to keep the box incase you have to return it. lolz besides that, I bought a 32" Emerson for like $200. I am sure the 40+ inch ones are a good deal also.

Ultimate Veteran
    yes u need a bigger tv the futher u sit. because details are not good on a smaller set from far away.
    sharp is good also for the mnoney. my 50 inch 3d palsma is only like 70 pounds lol

PSN ID
    chuckawd
    I'm looking at most likely going with one of the Samsung LCD-LED TVs and have settled into the 46"-50" size range.

Ultimate Veteran
    good choice chuck. you vist www. highdefjunkies.com and learn more about the tvs i post on that site also

PSN ID
    chuckawd
    Taking the risk of being scrutinized here, what is the general opinion on Vizio? I stopped into a Walmart today hoping to see some Samsung's first hand and they had pretty much only Vizios. I was able to definitely decide on a 46"-50" though for sure after seeing the physical size of them.

I appreciate everyone's opinion on helping me make this decision!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckAWD View Post
    Taking the risk of being scrutinized here, what is the general opinion on Vizio? I stopped into a Walmart today hoping to see some Samsung's first hand and they had pretty much only Vizios. I was able to definitely decide on a 46"-50" though for sure after seeing the physical size of them.

I appreciate everyone's opinion on helping me make this decision!

just to join in on this conversation but is this tv any good? http://www.lg.com/au/tvs/lg-55LM6410...specifications i dont know anything about 100/120ghz or whatever so i thought everyone could help me out im just looking to upgrade to a tv for the next couple of years that seems compatable with the upcoming ps4 release. thanks

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Projector? Eww, no way. Go either LCD, LED or OLED. I right now have a Bravia LCD with stunning picture and a OLED dual screen 3D headset.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

PSN ID
    chuckawd
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    For TV's I would try to stick with something like a Samsung or Sharp if your budget allows, also LG is makes some decent sets now as well, just make sure the TV has some type of game mode and be sure to check them out in person somewhere before you actually purchase it! As for a sound setup, since you are on a limited budget you might look at this setup:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-397.../dp/B007PU2X76

I have this setup in my master bedroom and believe it or not it sounds damn awesome! I wasn't expecting it to sound very good, but for the price the sound is incredible!
    So I've decided to add at least a 5.1 sound system to my TV purchase bumping the combined budget of both up to $1300-1500USD depending on features and sound quality. In the past I have always pieces together sound systems but it seems that this time around it makes more sense to get an all in one package meaning receiver, speakers, and subwoofer.

What is everyone recommendations for a good gaming sound set up? I've been looking at this Yamaha in the quote above and an Onkyo package as well.

Thread Information