Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Braid Dev: New Xbox 'Not Strictly About Games'

Speaking with Edge Online, Blow notes that the new, still-unknown Xbox 360 successor is “not strictly about games,” leading him to PlayStation 4 as a result.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/...ly-about-games

What does it put first?
    Last edited by Lefein; 03-09-2013 at 01:42.

Flaw3d Genius
    I doubt any console will be just about games anymore. 360 & PS3 are not just about games why would Nxt-Box or PS4 be?

Ultimate Veteran
    That's the scary part. Whatever it was about the nextbox made him decide to go elsewhere.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    That's the scary part. Whatever it was about the nextbox made him decide to go elsewhere.
    I guess that's good for core gamers then?

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Not this again.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    I don't think I've heard anything positive from this guy in regards to Microsoft. It's always been bad. I'm not sure if he just hates Microsoft or the 720 is really going to be media hub first and gaming second.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    I doubt any console will be just about games anymore. 360 & PS3 are not just about games why would Nxt-Box or PS4 be?
    Microsoft could have a good reason to do that for the next Xbox, as they have probably found a market for multimedia focus via Xbox 360. Let's face it; the console has been pushed by Microsoft further and further with every passing year to be as interconnected and media-rich as possible; to be the most used thing in your living room. There also seems to be less and less exclusive content to maintain a unique games library with every passing year. In the first years, 360 gaming produced a fair share first-party games, game exclusivity and acquiring developers for total exclusivity. Nowadays, 360 gaming seems to just be about Kinect, negotiating with third parties for "on Xbox first" content, and updates to Halo and Gears.

I don't see this as a coincidence.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the next Xbox, or any console for that matter, shouldn't be embracing multimedia features. Like you said, it's status quo in this market now. The concern from gamers is whether multimedia is or isn't the main focus. Naturally, gamers want consoles to be about games first and multimedia, while important, as secondary. I can tell you right now that I love movies, but I could care less if my console didn't have the best movie features. I have a computer that also delivers to the level I am looking for in that regard.

Anyway, it would be an ideal choice for Microsoft. It makes valid business sense, imo. They don't seem to be outpacing PlayStation anymore on a global front, NA is the main landslide stronghold, and Sony appears to have enough first-party support and friendly hardware to have "superior gaming offerings" on lockdown this time. At this point, MS might as well focus on doing what they have done best: overall entertainment.
    Last edited by Bio; 03-09-2013 at 02:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Superior Member
    This isn't the first dev to complain about how difficult to MS is to work with. Also, he seems to confirm that MS is going to continue the slid that started a few years back. The same 3 "core" games, a bunch of little arcade games, timed exclusive DLC and more stuff like the LeBrons.

I'm seriously considering selling my 360 and picking up a PS3.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    This isn't the first dev to complain about how difficult to MS is to work with. Also, he seems to confirm that MS is going to continue the slid that started a few years back. The same 3 "core" games, a bunch of little arcade games, timed exclusive DLC and more stuff like the LeBrons.

I wouldnt go that far. Alot of multiplats are still quite better on the 360. Which is an important advantage when you play alot of 3rd party games. Unless of course theres some PS3 exclusives that you want to play super badly. Otherwise I would just wait for PS4 since next gen MS wont have the better multiplat advantage. Then you'll have more exclusives but without the inferior 3rd party ports.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-09-2013 at 03:05.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post

I'd hardly call what he said as confirmation.

ďTo me[,] they talk about a console that is not strictly about games. Itís trying to be the [center] of the living room device, which is fine and maybe itís the right thing for Microsoftto do, business-wise. I donít know; I actually donít think it is, but theyíve certainly thought about it more than me!Ē

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I'd hardly call what he said as confirmation.
    Not only that but what console isnt trying to be the center of the living room? Like somebody already said the current consoles arent just about games and neither will the next ones. Those days are over.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Not only that but what console isnt trying to be the center of the living room? Like somebody already said the current consoles arent just about games and neither will the next ones. Those days are over.
    I understand his beef with MS but they haven't really said anything about the next gen xbox yet, so I don't get where he gets the:

ďTo me[,] they talk about a console that is not strictly about games.

It just sounds like his comments are based on rumors. Those rumors could be true though. We just have to wait until MS show/tell us something

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    It just sounds like his comments are based on rumors. Those rumors could be true though. We just have to wait until MS show/tell us something
    Not all of it is based on rumor, though. I present Exhibit A:
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/phil...uture-of-xbox/

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Both companies have made their strategies more or less clear and next gen consoles will probably only be an amplification of this...this is certainly the case for Sony whose next gen console "for gamers by game developers" lands in the wake of 10 exclusives for the PS3 this year. MS has been HUGELY successful with its media strategy with the 360, with majority of 360 owners spending just 60% of their time on console playing games and the rest watching stuff. This is why MS has shifted its focus between its heavy hitter exclusives and its media game and is going after things like The Lebrons instead of making more games. This is fine, it has been this gen and it will be next gen...the differentiation in focus will create an interesting differentiation in console experience and variety is the spice of life.

Forum Sage
    That old article is just saying stuff we already knew about xbox brand. There are no details. Just regular PR talk. Nothing specific there.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Both companies have made their strategies more or less clear and next gen consoles will probably only be an amplification of this...this is certainly the case for Sony whose next gen console "for gamers by game developers" lands in the wake of 10 exclusives for the PS3 this year. MS has been HUGELY successful with its media strategy with the 360, with majority of 360 owners spending just 60% of their time on console playing games and the rest watching stuff. This is why MS has shifted its focus between its heavy hitter exclusives and its media game and is going after things like The Lebrons instead of making more games. This is fine, it has been this gen and it will be next gen...the differentiation in focus will create an interesting differentiation in console experience and variety is the spice of life.
    While I do agree with you I think using that 40 percent report is a bit disingenous when you consider Sony reported PS3 as the most used platform for watching Netflix. But otherwise yeah.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    While I do agree with you I think using that 40 percent report is a bit disingenous when you consider Sony reported PS3 as the most used platform for watching Netflix. But otherwise yeah.
    But it doesn't really matter how much time PS3 gamers spend, cause Sony is still releasing games. It seemingly did matter for 360 cause the company changed focus.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Actually it is entirely based on rumour, he said so about a day after the PS4 reveal.

“I don’t have good communication with anyone at Microsoft right now, and haven’t been disclosed on their next console, but all our technical people like the PS4 specs a lot more than the leaked Durango specs, and we like the positioning of the PS4 (it’s about games) a lot more than what we perceive Microsoft’s positioning is going to be.”
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/22/the-...lusivity-deal/

Blow $#@!es and complains about MS because he had to recertify his game, because it hada bug.

I did have one episode late in development where someone on the Microsoft side who I had never talked to decided to monkey with the game at the last minute in an unexpected way, and that was a very negative experience, but ultimately I decided to go ahead and release the game on XBLA anyway.
    http://presspausetoreflect.blogspot....than-blow.html

"They removed some of the requirements for XBLA games, but there are still a lot of requirements, and I believe that, at least for a single-player game like my game, the vast majority of these requirements are unnecessary," he says.

"I put in a tremendous amount of work meeting all these requirements, when I could have put that work into the actual game, and made it even a little more polished, little bit better."

Blow says Microsoft's XBLA certification process is intended to ensure a standard of quality for all titles on the service -- "But I feel like it actually decreases the quality of games, because people spend so much of their energy on these things that users don't even really care about."
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=19748

Yeah.. thats right he doesnt like certification.

19. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Banned

What's ridiculous about such statements is it applies to PS4 too. Sony isn't strictly about gaming either. They've added services over the years and are going heavy into social networking with Facebook integration on PS4. I don't remember anybody saying Sony was going soft on gaming when they were trying to ram Home down our throats on the PS3. I went in Home TWICE and never returned. It was exclusive games and the blu-ray player for me.

Sony wants to be the center of entertainment just as much as anyone else. But because Microsoft said publicly that they want to expand on that, somehow gaming is ASSUMED to be seriously shortchanged by such expansion without any evidence to back up such assumptions. Kinda like when Mercedes Benz announces it's adding new entertainment features to their cars. Nobody assumes the driving performance of the car is gonna take a major hit as a result.

It's a Sony centric website we are on, so not a lot of Microsoft love on here. I get it. The assumption of the worse is to be expected on here. Can't wait for the reveal so the silly speculation will be over. I'll own both consoles so I'll never miss out nor will I care which one is better. Options are sweet!

Forum Sage
    Items PlayStationVitaPS3 Slim
    There is a lot of developer chatter behind the scenes about the PS4 and Durango. Though the people I have spoken to don't fall uniformly into one camp or another, what I will say is that developers seem to be preferring the PS4 as a gaming machine. To be perfectly honest there hasn't been a lot of positive chatter about Durango.

It'll be an interesting generation. Sony have made an easy to develop for, powerful machine. They are also more liberated when it comes to their online offering and can now seriously compete with Xbox Live.

Microsoft have beefed up their studios but they have a console that'll target the casuals and 'entertainment' more out of the box than PS4. It'll be interesting to see their next monetization idea. I think we'll definitely be seeing Xbox Live get more payment tiers.

Jonathan Blow however, doesn't have Durango devkits and has never seen one. That said, we shouldn't throw his remarks away as baseless as like I say, developers talk to each other and developers know what Durango is going to do.

I get the hint from Blow's remarks that he isn't exactly just talking about broader entertainment offerings. I get the hint he's talking about what Durango's implications are for gamers as consumers.
    Last edited by Galvanise_; 03-09-2013 at 10:19.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    What's ridiculous about such statements is it applies to PS4 too. Sony isn't strictly about gaming either. They've added services over the years and are going heavy into social networking with Facebook integration on PS4. I don't remember anybody saying Sony was going soft on gaming when they were trying to ram Home down our throats on the PS3. I went in Home TWICE and never returned. It was exclusive games and the blu-ray player for me.

Sony wants to be the center of entertainment just as much as anyone else. But because Microsoft said publicly that they want to expand on that, somehow gaming is ASSUMED to be seriously shortchanged by such expansion without any evidence to back up such assumptions. Kinda like when Mercedes Benz announces it's adding new entertainment features to their cars. Nobody assumes the driving performance of the car is gonna take a major hit as a result.

It's a Sony centric website we are on, so not a lot of Microsoft love on here. I get it. The assumption of the worse is to be expected on here. Can't wait for the reveal so the silly speculation will be over. I'll own both consoles so I'll never miss out nor will I care which one is better. Options are sweet!
    No evidence?

Sony embraced media content and still managed to release game after game. As I said earlier, its releasing 10 exclusive titles this year, 5 of which are new IPs in the same year that it'll release PS4. While 2012 was a weak year 1st party-wise, Sony has generally pumped out a dozen games a year for the past 4 or so years. It has invested in large titles and has taken many risks. All of this on top of being in a financial slump and being in last place in sales.

MS embraced media content and for the last 4 or so years stopped investing in anything that wasn't Fable, Forza, Gears or Halo bar the odd cases like Alan Wake. MS is releasing 1 exclusive this year. MS trounced Sony for the first 2 years or so but then slipped. People here spout off that it "clearly wasn't necessary" for MS to skimp on the 1st party side because it had often better performing multiplats, vastly superior online and media and while this may ring true to the benefit of MS's profits, it wasn't so good for the gamer...other than those who may argue that less is more but regardless of all that BS, and regardless of how titles performed, the philosophy of delivering as much games as possible to those who purchased your HD console is something that wasn't a priority for MS who was happy enough to spend half a billion marketing Kinect but not enough to diversify and augment its line up past the onslaught of Kinect titles.

MS only got into the console business because it wanted to halt Sony's rise to dominance. Sony got into the console business to make games. These origins are can be seen below the surface when you look at how both have sought to express their brand through their products, games and services. MS doesn't need to be a huge content making console manufacturer because it outsold its competition without having to.

Kempin added the two ways Microsoft was able to start making money on the Xbox was by getting royalties from anyone who developed a game for the console, and through the pay services they offer such as Xbox Live.
    http://www.oxmonline.com/microsoft-g...ness-stop-sony

This kind of shed some light onto why MS went in this direction. I don't choose to stay a Sony gamer because of brand loyalty, though Sony has looked after me well for 17 years and I am loyal to the brand; its because MS makes very little effort to try and earn its own from me. If its fantastic four don't interest me, what am I going to do? Buy a console that I have to pay to play online, playing multi-plat games that I could play on my PS3 for no additional charge? If MS brings its A game next gen and prove tome through consistency that they care about me, the enthusiast gamer, by investing into new and interesting exclusive content, I'ma go balls deep. But if it relies heavily on 3rd party again, choosing not to make content for me because it's not financially in MS's best interest then I will stay with the company that got in the business to make games and has done this consistently for nearly 2 decades. PS4 is a $#@!ing beast, getting all sorts of developer praise and dev toll support. All the past mistakes of 7th gen have been eradicated and what's left is a company that has only ever had the clear message of being about the core gamer.

Holy $#@!...That's long!? Disclaimer...I'm almost through a bottle of red...

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Playstation exists becuse of a bad deal gone wrong with Nintendo.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Playstation exists becuse of a bad deal gone wrong with Nintendo.
    Edit: misunderstood your post mr keefy. That's right, but they were still headed in the direction, even if it was along side Ninty at first.
    Last edited by Ghost; 03-09-2013 at 12:33.

Flaw3d Genius
    Some people make it sound like MS has a gun to their head demanding they buy a games console off them lol.

Gaming is never life or death...it's all about having fun which will be had on 360, PS3, Nxt Box and PS4.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    PS3 is still a better media hub than the 360 and the PS4 will be a damn good one too. What is the new Xbox gonna offer that the PS4 can't?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    I don't remember anybody saying Sony was going soft on gaming when they were trying to ram Home down our throats on the PS3.
    That is because Sony never ignore core gaming. As long as you service your main audience, you can do whatever you like. Case in point, the PS4 conference last month. They were very heavy on social this, social that. None of which interests me, but that's fine, why? because they had already proven they have core gamers covered. MS have not been doing that since they began their new strategy.

27. Likes mistercrow likes this post

Thread Information