Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Well the Wii U has movable gaming
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Agreed Dave. The PS3 was a far far better media hub since its release and MS has been playing catchup on that front ever since. It hasn't caught up and never will because as mentioned, it's not a blu-ray player. You ask what can the 360 do that the PS3 doesn't and people go quiet and look at their shoes

Another thing that for those outside the UK means nothing but for us it's big is the BBC iPlayer. PS3 has had it for well over 4 years, the 360 has had its version for less than a year.

I bought my PS3 in 2007 and it was a perfectly good media server from day 1
    Not talking about it being a server, quite the opposite.
    Id hate to have any console as a server.

All I know is there was thread upon thread about 'how to do it" back in the day.
    It was a lot of hoops to jump through, even to get music streaming.
    Last edited by mynd; 03-10-2013 at 13:27.

Banned

Well it couldn't do cross game chat. So much for "PlayStation. It only does everything.".... No it doesn't. The 360 doesn't do everything either. But it never claimed it did.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Well it couldn't do cross game chat. So much for "PlayStation. It only does everything.".... No it doesn't. The 360 doesn't do everything either. But it never claimed it did.
    Well the PlayStation 3 also doesn't microwave food for us. Can you point that out as well? Oh and also the PlayStation 3 doesn't vacuum the floor for me neither. Both are very important functions. Please point those out too.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Not talking about it being a server, quite the opposite.
    Id hate to have any console as a server.

All I know is there was thread upon thread about 'how to do it" back in the day.
    It was a lot of hoops to jump through, even to get music streaming.
    No, actually. We had software that we could use to stream pictures, movies etc. You'd know this if you actually had a PS3.

It wasn't provided by Sony so it wasn't well marketed but the ability has been there since 2007.

Edit:
    You could even use Windows Media Player 11 to stream your pictures, music and videos.

No other software required.
    Last edited by sainraja; 03-10-2013 at 20:58.

6. Likes Leviticus likes this post

if people from MS and Sony got bored and quit there jobs then they joined with gather and made a console that will totally defeat Xbox
    and PlayStation , maybe even call it XPLAY

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    No, actually. We had software that we could use to stream pictures, movies etc. You'd know this if you actually had a PS3.

It wasn't provided by Sony so it wasn't well marketed but the ability has been there since 2007.

Edit:
    You could even use Windows Media Player 11 to stream your pictures, music and videos.

Yup, what that other guy said is false. I got my ps3 year one and it streamed all my pc stuff(Minus MVK and DIVX till the update) fine

Edit-Unrelated to the steaming thing but I even remember going on stage6 on my ps3 back in the day and downloading movies directly from the interweb and beemp3 for music. Xbox couldn't do that at the time, Idk if they can now or not.
    Last edited by MartyRules; 03-10-2013 at 22:33.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

9. Likes Leviticus likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Lol I'm amazed at how people that never owned a playstation 3 knows everything that the system does and doesn't do

Sent from my Note II

11. Likes Leviticus likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post

Edit:

So why were people using TVersity? Etc, again you using extra software, I understand it was capable of it, we had people on here that did do, but it was extra software, I never denied that it could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Lol I'm amazed at how people that never owned a playstation 3 knows everything that the system does and doesn't do

Sent from my Note II
    Oh please, Ive been on these forums as long as you have, and followed closely over the years what it did and didn't do.

I don't have to own a PS3 to remember the threads upon thread we had on here, nor do I have such a short memory as to forget the complete and utter $#@! up that was the firmware that was launched with the PS3.

Some of it might have been only for a few months, but it doesn't negate the fact that it was not much of a media streamer when it first launched.

If it weren't for WMP11 (which the Xbox did not require), it wouldn't have been able to handle it very well at all.
    Last edited by mynd; 03-10-2013 at 23:06.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    fricken dbl post

Administrator
    fricken dbl post
    It's okay, it wasn't worth posting twice.

15. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Before I had a 360, there were features the 360 had that I didn't know of until I bought the system! You can't tell me you know everything about the ps3 just from lurking these forums

Most members will claim the ps3 was a complete media console at launch but that is a $#@!ing lie! The console was $#@! when it was launched (I know because I got an import from play-asia). It was the following months and years that they started patching in all those features. Who ever claims otherwise is in denial (I agree with you, I also remember those threads complaining about the lack of features)

Sent from my Note II
    Last edited by YoungMullah88; 03-10-2013 at 23:14.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Before I had a 360, there were features the 360 had that I didn't know of until I bought the system! You can't tell me you know everything about the ps3 just from lurking these forums

Most members will claim the ps3 was a complete media console at launch but that is a $#@!ing lie! The console was $#@! when it was launched (I know because I got an import from play-asia). It was the following months and years that they stayed patching in all those features. Who ever claims otherwise is in denial

Sent from my Note II
    I kept a very close eye on what was going on with the PS3 when it was first launched, and yes, it was a mess, not for long, but it was a bit of a mess.
    Again, as I originally said, I think the misnomer that the 360 gets that billing is form those early days only.
    I think by the time the slim launched they had ironed out all of the wrinkles, and as I said earlier, these days, I don't think you really call much between them (outside of BR support on the PS3).

I was still jealous of the fact that the PS3 could copy stuff form USB, which we couldn't do.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    I enjoyed hooking up my mp3 player to the 360 and playing my music ingame! I used that feature more than I did x game chat.

Sent from my Note II

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Seriously..why does it seem like everyone is saying Microsoft's console is the entertainment console of choice all of a sudden?

The PlayStation does absolutely everything that the 360 does in this area and actually does it better than it IMO. It has all of the apps Netflix, Lovefilm/Amazon...etc. All these features are on the PS3. Not only that, but for things like Netflix you NEED a Live Gold account on your 360.

Sony also sell movies, TV shows and music on their store as well as their own dedicated music app and things like Mubi, Youtube and Vidzone.

There's all that and then there is the one big feature that the 360 doesn't have at all. The PS3 IS A BLURAY PLAYER!

I don't get this argument at all, and you can bet the PS4 will have this stuff as standard nextgen too.

PlayStation. It only does everything.
    It seems to now be "cool" that the Sony console and forthcoming Sony console doesnt do everything anymore it only does games.

Very odd.

I much prefer the PS3 as my media machine and will most likely be the same nxt-gen also.
    Last edited by Flaw3d Genius; 03-10-2013 at 23:34.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    It seems to now be "cool" that the Sony console and forthcoming Sony console doesnt do everything anymore it only does games.

Very odd.

I much prefer the PS3 as my media machine and will most likely be the same nxt-gen also.
    Um the ps4 will do everything the ps3 did (even more) but the focus for Sony is still the gamers! Don't know much about ms's offering but from what Sony has shown, there stance is clear

Sent from my Note II

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Guys, you seem to miss my original point. I'm not talking about back at the original launch. I'm talking about NOW, people are still billing 360 as better than the PS3 in the entertainment area..yet if I tally it up the PS3 definitely has more functions and some stuff for free that isn't on the 360.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

22. Likes Leviticus likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    They know that but some will rather go back to the ps2 days just to prove a point

Sent from my Note II

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Hasn't the 360 got some exclusive media stuff going on in the US? ESPN or some $#@!, and I know in the UK you can get SkyGO on 360 and not PS3. On the contrary iPlayer was on PS3 for years before 360 in the UK, and I think BBC Sport app is only on PS3 here.

Anyway, from personal experience the 360 current interface seems clunky to me when watching a dvd or video off USB so I just use my PS3 instead, everything just seems faster - maybe the 360 would be "better with kinect" lol, $#@! knows. I don't own many blurays so that's negligible. I've also read that Netflix on PS3 is superior to the Xbox version.

I think you'll find that Sony themselves will bill the PS4 as that all-doing device - the iPad of the console world, or whatever. They will just be a little shy when delivering that message at first because it's those hardcore midnight release guys that shift the first few million consoles and build the userbase.

It's on message boards where you see posters proclaiming that Sony is only about the games and that's all that matters to Sony lol. It's not the case and has never been the case. I think the source of this 360 media lolz is the winding down of console AAA exclusives, and that's all

Edit: Oh and 360 has HBO Go in the US whereas PS3 doesn't. I think that's huge?
    Last edited by Nitey; 03-11-2013 at 01:26.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Guys, you seem to miss my original point. I'm not talking about back at the original launch. I'm talking about NOW, people are still billing 360 as better than the PS3 in the entertainment area..yet if I tally it up the PS3 definitely has more functions and some stuff for free that isn't on the 360.
    As I said, I think its just because that's the way it was perceived back then, its also the way MS market it.
    I'm not sure whats available now on the PS3, but the 360 certainly has a plethora of apps these days.

-Sesame street interactive TV
    -IGN app
    -Gamespot App
    -Crunchy Roll App
    -You tube App

etc etc

Take a look

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_applications
    Last edited by mynd; 03-11-2013 at 01:31.

Super Elite

My TV has all the apps built into it. That's a much better entertainment device and I don't have to turn on a video game console to use them.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Hasn't the 360 got some exclusive media stuff going on in the US? ESPN or some $#@!, and I know in the UK you can get SkyGO on 360 and not PS3. On the contrary iPlayer was on PS3 for years before 360 in the UK, and I think BBC Sport app is only on PS3 here.

Anyway, from personal experience the 360 current interface seems clunky to me when watching a dvd or video off USB so I just use my PS3 instead, everything just seems faster - maybe the 360 would be "better with kinect" lol, $#@! knows. I don't own many blurays so that's negligible. I've also read that Netflix on PS3 is superior to the Xbox version.

I think you'll find that Sony themselves will bill the PS4 as that all-doing device - the iPad of the console world, or whatever. They will just be a little shy when delivering that message at first because it's those hardcore midnight release guys that shift the first few million consoles and build the userbase.

It's on message boards where you see posters proclaiming that Sony is only about the games and that's all that matters to Sony lol. It's not the case and has never been the case. I think the source of this 360 media lolz is the winding down of console AAA exclusives, and that's all

Edit: Oh and 360 has HBO Go in the US whereas PS3 doesn't. I think that's huge?
    psssh they got the Le'Brons! case closed

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    As I said, I think its just because that's the way it was perceived back then, its also the way MS market it.
    I'm not sure whats available now on the PS3, but the 360 certainly has a plethora of apps these days.

-Sesame street interactive TV
    -IGN app
    -Gamespot App
    -Crunchy Roll App
    -You tube App

etc etc

Take a look

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_applications

isnt those apps to compensate for it not having a browser? pretty sure i can get on ign on the ps3's browser. but then i never used any of these so called apps on my gaming system...boot up PS go straight to a game or visit the ps store. i guess people do use it more so than often (the only blu-ray movie i have is planet earth! lol)

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    isnt those apps to compensate for it not having a browser? pretty sure i can get on ign on the ps3's browser. but then i never used any of these so called apps on my gaming system...boot up PS go straight to a game or visit the ps store. i guess people do use it more so than often (the only blu-ray movie i have is planet earth! lol)
    Eh? The 360 has a browser. IE9
    I use you tube app, and the IGN / game spot apps.
    The are easier to navigate than using a web browser.

And one s like seasme street TV are w hole different kettle of fish.
    As is MLB TV etc.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    nice! traded mine in before that update, thats good then

Thread Information