Latest PSU headlines:

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 7
    Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    I'm not renting a box to watch cable TV...
    You don't watch the same cable tv as most people then. You need a box for almost all content on cable. Unless you're being a jackass and you rent a cable card and playing it off like you have access to everything without anything.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

I honestly don't understand why the Xbox gets billed as the entertainment con...

Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    You don't watch the same cable tv as most people then. You need a box for almost all content on cable. Unless you're being a jackass and you rent a cable card and playing it off like you have access to everything without anything.
    My cable TV is somehow magically different than everyone else's? No. I'm not renting a box and I also have HD channels as well. The only box rental I can get if I want it is for recording HD channels through the DVR they offer. If you have a TV than requires additional equipment, then yes you need to rent an HD box.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Did you know that in the US you have to RENT cable boxes to watch cable tv? They cost may $6-$8 a month. You cannot buy them. One that supports HD is at least $10 a month. In the US many of the major telecoms have an app on the 360 that let it work as a cable box and it supports hd and streams the the channels over wifi. Even at the full price of a gold membership - $60 (most people can save $20 buying it on sale) you can save tons of money. Figure a year with an HD cable box is 120 a year to rent. Gold is at most 60 a year. That's a pretty good entertainment device right there. The ps3 does NOT support this.
    My HD box is $5.00 a month. And I dont need a box at all to watch standard def cable.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    My HD box is $5.00 a month. And I dont need a box at all to watch standard def cable.
    Yep. Standard cable has never needed a box. I like the "Did you know in the US..." remark and I make a comment about it being a US citizen and I'm labeled a liar.

-__- Lol. Guess I don't know how cable works in my country of residence.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    What cable provider is this? My HD cable box is $12 a month.

Yep. Standard cable has never needed a box. I like the "Did you know in the US..." remark and I make a comment about it being a US citizen and I'm labeled a liar.

-__- Lol. Guess I don't know how cable works in my country of residence.

Depending on your cable provider this is not necessarily true. Some providers you cannot watch TV at all without a box.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...without-a-STB-
    Jweuri

@verizon.net
    reply to dmine45
    I am located in NYC.

Connecting the coax cable directly to the input port of an OTA digital tuner and doing a complete re-scan results in zero channels found. The digital tuner also informs me that there is "no signal", like there is no antenna connected to it.

When an OTA antenna is instead connected to the digital tuner's input port, channels can then be found.

Of course, the FiOS STB works fine with the same coax cable as input.

So it appears that depending on the FiOS market you are in, Verizon may or may not not be sending clear QAM signals over the coax cable. As a result you may see zero or more channels without the use of a STB.
    Last edited by Typical guy; 04-07-2013 at 00:12.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    My cable provider is Sudden Link. And btw my bad my HD converter box is now $8.00 a month. It used to be $5.00. But $8.00 is still cheaper than $12.00. lol But youre correct that some cable services require a box. COX cable out in California is that way. But here with Sudden Link in Texas it isnt required.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-07-2013 at 00:28.

Administrator

I honestly don't understand why the Xbox gets billed as the entertainment con...

What cable provider is this? My HD cable box is $12 a month.

Depending on your cable provider this is not necessarily true. Some providers you cannot watch TV at all without a box.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...without-a-STB-
    Jweuri

@verizon.net
    reply to dmine45
    I am located in NYC.

Connecting the coax cable directly to the input port of an OTA digital tuner and doing a complete re-scan results in zero channels found. The digital tuner also informs me that there is "no signal", like there is no antenna connected to it.

When an OTA antenna is instead connected to the digital tuner's input port, channels can then be found.

Of course, the FiOS STB works fine with the same coax cable as input.

So it appears that depending on the FiOS market you are in, Verizon may or may not not be sending clear QAM signals over the coax cable. As a result you may see zero or more channels without the use of a STB.
    My TV is able to get many HD channels without a box, but there are many channels that I'll need a box for because I don't get channel 9 billion. I've had HD service in other cities in which it was absolutely required, though... which I usually didn't mind since the receiver usually doubled as a DVR.

Super Elite

My TV is able to get many HD channels without a box, but there are many channels that I'll need a box for because I don't get channel 9 billion. I've had HD service in other cities in which it was absolutely required, though... which I usually didn't mind since the receiver usually doubled as a DVR.
    I can get a few channels where I'm at without a box but not any of my HD channels. I can get a box that only supports the SD channels for 7.99 a month or a box that also supports HD and has an HDMI output for 11.99 a month. My in-laws have 5 boxes that support HD. They're $#@!ing crazy, especially since one of them is hooked to the same TV that an Xbox is and they could just use that for the cable.

Soldier 95B
    A box is required where I am at for DirecTV, Charter, Uverse, and Dish Network.

Thread Information