Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Weird thing is with these blockers I find is that disbling them on the site still doesnt show the ads.

Friendship is Carrots
    Frankly I'm not sure why the guy(s) behind Adblocker don't find a way to have the ad script play (thus pinging a hit to the ad) while keeping it from actually displaying or playing music. In this way you could support your sites without being annoyed by ads (who seriously clicks on ads anyways? I've never consciously clicked on an ad by my own choice). I'm not a programmer or script-savvy person, but I have a general understanding of the mechanics and it seems to me this could definitely be done.

In regards to ads specifically for PSU, I can't comment too much as I'm a subscriber. I did once log into PSU from the college and I got hit with a huge ad that played a video. I didn't like that. The first thing I did was install adblock to the PC then hide the icon. Based on my own reaction, this tells me that intrusive ads are definitely the root cause for people blocking the ads of a site. Had the ads I experienced been generic boxed ads to the side or something, I wouldn't have cared. It seems others in this thread think the same way.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

3. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Frankly I'm not sure why the guy(s) behind Adblocker don't find a way to have the ad script play (thus pinging a hit to the ad) while keeping it from actually displaying or playing music. In this way you could support your sites without being annoyed by ads (who seriously clicks on ads anyways? I've never consciously clicked on an ad by my own choice). I'm not a programmer or script-savvy person, but I have a general understanding of the mechanics and it seems to me this could definitely be done.

In regards to ads specifically for PSU, I can't comment too much as I'm a subscriber. I did once log into PSU from the college and I got hit with a huge ad that played a video. I didn't like that. The first thing I did was install adblock to the PC then hide the icon. Based on my own reaction, this tells me that intrusive ads are definitely the root cause for people blocking the ads of a site. Had the ads I experienced been generic boxed ads to the side or something, I wouldn't have cared. It seems others in this thread think the same way.
    There have been ad-blockers that only stop ads from being displayed, not downloaded. They usually aren't worth while though, by not downloading ads you're actually improving the time it takes to load a site. That's a feature most users want.

If you're talking about not loading Flash elements that play videos or music there's an excellent plugin called ClickToPlugin for Safari. I think there's similar plugins for Chrome as well.
    Other opinions are available.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude

Arrow

But here is the thing, why the late response to this

Ad-blocker as been used for ages on the forum i can easily assume and yet it is only being brought up now... Does that make this an old request instead of an new one

Even though i used AD-blocker before i still got ad's, is this a more of a serious problem now or the same problem from old

Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    But here is the thing, why the late response to this

Ad-blocker as been used for ages on the forum i can easily assume and yet it is only being brought up now... Does that make this an old request instead of an new one

Even though i used AD-blocker before i still got ad's, is this a more of a serious problem now or the same problem from old

For any company its capital may shrink or increase at anytime. Given PSU got new owners a few years ago, a good guess could be that the initial funding has, or is close, to running out. And now they need to find a sustaining business plan (which ad revenue has proven to be on the Web). Failing to do so may result in the owners looking for an exit of shutting down the site. This is all speculation based on conjuncture on my part though.
    Other opinions are available.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    For any company its capital may shrink or increase at anytime. Given PSU got new owners a few years ago, a good guess could be that the initial funding has, or is close, to running out. And now they need to find a sustaining business plan (which ad revenue has proven to be on the Web). Failing to do so may result in the owners looking for an exit of shutting down the site. This is all speculation based on conjuncture on my part though.
    Speculation it may be, but that's exactly what happened to some other sites I used to go to. :\
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Speculation it may be, but that's exactly what happened to some other sites I used to go to.
    But that doesn't necessarily mean the same will happen to PSU. I, for one, would hate to see that happen. PSU has grown so much over the years and I feel proud to call myself a member of such a fine community.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    But that doesn't necessarily mean the same will happen to PSU. I, for one, would hate to see that happen. PSU has grown so much over the years and I feel proud to call myself a member of such a fine community.
    Yes, I know. I've been here a while. I don't want to see this place go under, believe me. :]

This place has better management now, I don't see that happening. The other places went under because of pure idiocy.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    Being that as it is, it is still a late response to the issue at hand... Because if it was any of us, we would be in this like a shot

And trying to sort this out quick
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Members are also turned away from communities where trolls constantly annoy people, threads continuously go off-topic, discussions often get personal, etc.
    Ixion, threads go off topic on all forums, this one is no different, if it keeps going off topic then yes but the punishment/infraction at hand is so ridiculous. The rules in this forum can only be followed by a pure 100% saint, there is no such thing. What this means is that over time people will eventually get infracted or banned. I've seen many forums and the forums that have a lot of people do have trolls in them and yes they are annoying but they have the people and the members. The reason this site right now is relying on people to remove addblock and it's obvious, you are short on members. looking at the 900 or so guests I can only assume that most of those are bots or people creating such bots to try and advertise on here.

Now I'm not saying people should be able to troll away or whatever, but to infract someone that a troll got to is so ridiculous that everytime I see such a person get infracted, blood shoots out of my nose. No one is perfect yet this site is trying to force that, it's impossible. Less infractions, some of the rules really need to slide a bit more.

If a troll is constantly berating someone then yes, it's understandable that trolls get infracted or banned but at the same time it's not always the trolls. There are other rules on here if you look close enough that are rather odd. I've seen people get infracted for insulting but didn't see any words such as (idiot, dumbass, moron, jackass, etc etc) when a heated debate happens, those are the common words that are used such as in political debates. It's not execusable for that behavior but at the same time the person is obviously in some type of heated debate. regardless, I wont show every single example to the moon but just pointing some things out.

after so many infractions then the ban hammer hits. Now I have seen members here get banned that was questionable but because of that I have yet to see them again. Eggshells man, no one needs to walk on them and for some people the eggshells hurt more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Ironically, negativity such as the type seen in his post can also put people off.
    It's not negativity, it's common sense. There is a difference and if you can't be critical at all then you are no help to what's being discussed. The big picture here is this site needs more members.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    Ixion, threads go off topic on all forums, this one is no different, if it keeps going off topic then yes but the punishment/infraction at hand is so ridiculous. The rules in this forum can only be followed by a pure 100% saint, there is no such thing. What this means is that over time people will eventually get infracted or banned. I've seen many forums and the forums that have a lot of people do have trolls in them and yes they are annoying but they have the people and the members. The reason this site right now is relying on people to remove addblock and it's obvious, you are short on members. looking at the 900 or so guests I can only assume that most of those are bots or people creating such bots to try and advertise on here.

Now I'm not saying people should be able to troll away or whatever, but to infract someone that a troll got to is so ridiculous that everytime I see such a person get infracted, blood shoots out of my nose. No one is perfect yet this site is trying to force that, it's impossible. Less infractions, some of the rules really need to slide a bit more.

If a troll is constantly berating someone then yes, it's understandable that trolls get infracted or banned but at the same time it's not always the trolls. There are other rules on here if you look close enough that are rather odd. I've seen people get infracted for insulting but didn't see any words such as (idiot, dumbass, moron, jackass, etc etc) when a heated debate happens, those are the common words that are used such as in political debates. It's not execusable for that behavior but at the same time the person is obviously in some type of heated debate. regardless, I wont show every single example to the moon but just pointing some things out.

after so many infractions then the ban hammer hits. Now I have seen members here get banned that was questionable but because of that I have yet to see them again. Eggshells man, no one needs to walk on them and for some people the eggshells hurt more.
    I'm going to make a poll and see what the community thinks.

Master Sage
    It's not negativity, it's common sense. There is a difference and if you can't be critical at all then you are no help to what's being discussed. The big picture here is this site needs more members.
    This is where our disagreement lies; you see it as common sense whereas I see it as negativity. I can be critical, trust me. As much as I like PSU, I've said more than my fair share of negative and critical feedback - some of which was taken into account, some of which was ignored. The fact remains that negativity about a website or forum, be it from you or any other member, will be picked upon by newbies and/or lurkers and will be taken into consideration. Will someone really want to join a forum where the majority of members are being so negative about it? You'd be a fool if you were to say yes.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce

[snip]
    i've been here longer than you have, yet i have no infractions. also, i've been in many debates, a topic on eastern vs western devs a few years ago got particularly touchy.
    Julian assange was another one (controversial yet mods let the thread be)

in fact there was one with you a few months ago

treating those who reply to trolls the same way is a bit much and is the only ruling i find "strict" as sometimes people fall for the bait left them
    mods should treat individual instances as needed.

the rules however are fine as they are however.

but why is this even being discussed in a ad-blocker thread anyways?

back on topic though, i don't get ads...

this is in IE which runs no apps or anything :3
    i used to see them though. though none anymore.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I don't have any infractions either, what you have or don't have including me has nothing to do with what I'm discussing. by the way, we are on topic, this is part of the topic as to why they aren't getting funded. They use to have a subscription service but then this forum took a major dump which only took 3 days for it to happen.

This isn't my site and it doesn't matter what you guys do, I have no steak in the outcome. Just don't say I didn't warn what happens here. The rules here are to strict for newcomers. Especially people that came from IGN since the mods there basically ignore the trolling community.

I've been on here almost every day with a small break and I have seen this forum end up having only 30 members on at peak times. The reason why now there is a bigger peak is obviously because of the PS4. I'm not commenting in here just to play devil's advocate.. It's pretty damn clear why the traffic isn't here because the traffic would be here by now. to many ban hammers and to many infractions can scare people off more then a stupid troll. Don't believe me? then go look at other forums that enforce their rules strictly, they all have little activity.

As for Jaeger, you are trying to point some of this blame on me thinking I'm negative, ridiculous. Forums have negative members, that forums for you, that is in every friggin forum on the internet. Negativity is even in IGN which has tripple the amount then this forum. I'm not saying that the problem I pointing to is the solo problem on why people aren't coming here, but it is a problem when infraction and infraction on new people. I have seen infractions on members where after I read the reason and read the actual comment it didn't really match up and was nothing more then a flux of power. *shrug* oh well.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

^^ Look at all that sexy EVE Universe content on flash! Amazing...the author of that content must be a $#@!ing legend.

17. Likes Updator likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post

^^ Look at all that sexy EVE Universe content on flash! Amazing...the author of that content must be a $#@!ing legend.
    That's also another part of your problem, dump flash.

HTML5, CSS3, JS\Jquery. Roll with that.

Wherever you can, replace flash with the aforementioned technologies. More secure, faster, mobile friendly, less onerous for all.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 03-14-2013 at 17:34.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    I'm an equal opportunities ad-blocker. That is, I block every site's ads; no exceptions.

If you had other ways to generate revenue, like earning money for referrals to Amazon or something like that; I'd be more than happy to help you out. As it stands, I hate ads and will continue to block them as much as possible.

It's nothing personal but I won't accept a reduced browsing experience so someone somewhere can make another penny or two.
    I agree with this. Although I do make some exceptions.

The ads get in the way of browsing the site. If they didn't, I wouldn't block. I don't block sites that have ads which aren't instrusive.

This site is the exception. I do block ads here.

20. Likes Vulgotha likes this post

Thread Information