Latest PSU headlines:

MotorStorm Series

Just played and finished Apocalypse, liked it so tried the demo for Pacific Rift, loved it. BUT I been looking up Pacific Rift online and have a few concerns..

Is the game impossible? I don't mind hard as long as it is still possible. Apocalypse was easy/average IMO. And how long is the career mode? And is there any point in someone like me who is new to the series from playing 3, to play the first MotorStorm?

Thanks for any help

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Well if you wanna play online the servers have been shut down for 1 and PR, so you'll never get 100% of the trophies either. But yeah I think 1 and PR are harder for the SP, Apocalypse was mostly easy IMO. Personally though I think Apocalypse is the best in the series, the controls in PR are garbage, I got the first at launch though and had a blast playing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Pacific Rift is brutal, but not impossible.

As Aaron said, servers are shut down but MP was never amazing anyway, I played it like 1h out of my 30 hours with the actual game

Ultimate Veteran
    I never completed Pacific Rift but I remember it being really hard towards the end. Really good successor to the original, in my opinion.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    to me the first motorstorm was the best in the series

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    I still get the first game out and play it every so often, and it's still great fun (even without MP). I really want to get Apocalypse, because I loved the demo, but so many good games keep coming out that I keep forgetting about it.

Shut up and play games

Elite Member
    I thought Pacific Rift was the best of the series. I wasn't exactly doing backflips with Apoc.

Pacific Rift was pretty brutal, but it'll make a man out of you if you complete the single player. Online... jeesh, the people there were hardcore. I wouldn't crash or $#@! up and the best I could hope to get was like 7th place.
    I talk to myself because I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    i hope they add it to ps+

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Yeah I'd say 1 and Apocalypse are my faves, MS1 I got along with my PS3 and it was the game I played most both online and offline, it was amazing. I got Apocalypse free last Summer with PS+ and managed to Platinum it before my sub ran out and it was better than I expected, I much prefer racing through the city while it's being torn apart over racing on Islands or Deserts.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I really liked the first two. Though I never quite got into Apocalypse. Lucky I got it free on PSn. But still have that backlog to get through.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Thanks for all the replies, mixed opinions so I reckon I'll end up buying it at some point if it's cheap.

So in the previous two games, to progress do you only have to 'qualify' for the next race by coming in podium positions (like Apocalypse)? Or do you have to win every race?

PSN ID
    siftinglurker88
    The 1st one was definitely the best for me 2. The tracks were really well done ay

Master Guru
    Yeah, i still love the original MotorStorm. It's such a nostalgia trip every time i pop it in and see some cars explode into hundreds of pieces lol.

Pacific Rift was awesome but hard. I also liked Apocalypse. What a great racing franchise.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    I'd like to see a Motorstorm game come out on PS4. It could be basically the same as the PS3 games, except your vehicle is fully customizable. You pick the make & model, the engine, power train, whatever. Then you get to crash and watch all those carefully-chosen components go scattering across the track, breaking the windshields & grilles of other peoples' vehicles. Yeah, that'd be nice.

Shut up and play games

Forum Sage
    I liked the first MotorStorm the best (the others weren't bad) but the controls in the first one were the best. I don't know why they kept tweaking the controls.

Super Elite
    The first two were brutal but rewarding, as was Arctic Edge on the PSP. I personally found Apocalypse to be pretty wack. It was like they saw what Uncharted was doing and wanted to shoe-horn that into their game. The RC title just makes me thankful they're abandoning the IP for Driveclub, since it was heart-breaking watching Motorstorm lose its charm as the titles rolled on. I'd rank the games as follows:

Pacific Rift > Motorstorm > Arctic Edge > Apocalypse > Pooping > Wiping My Ass > Wiping My Ass Again Because I Didn't Get it All the First Time > RC

Quote Originally Posted by Forcedme View Post
    The first two were brutal but rewarding, as was Arctic Edge on the PSP. I personally found Apocalypse to be pretty wack. It was like they saw what Uncharted was doing and wanted to shoe-horn that into their game. The RC title just makes me thankful they're abandoning the IP for Driveclub, since it was heart-breaking watching Motorstorm lose its charm as the titles rolled on. I'd rank the games as follows:

Pacific Rift > Motorstorm > Arctic Edge > Apocalypse > Pooping > Wiping My Ass > Wiping My Ass Again Because I Didn't Get it All the First Time > RC
    Wow... RC sounds terrible, I got a free download code for it as well :/

Can anybody answer this for me please?

Quote Originally Posted by b0rn-2-ride View Post
    So in the previous two games, to progress do you only have to 'qualify' for the next race by coming in podium positions (like Apocalypse)? Or do you have to win every race?

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rn-2-ride View Post
    Can anybody answer this for me please?
    I didn't play enough of Apocalypse do understand what you mean by podium, but in the first two games you compete on tickets--speed runs, time runs, normal races, etc. If you qualify in just one ticket (acquire a bronze, silver, or gold) then you unlock a certain number of points alloted to that award. Gain enough points and you unlock more tickets with higher difficulty levels.

However, to complete the game in full, you will need to unlock the gold medal in every ticket, yes. Don't worry, though. Motorstorm is one of those games that you don't feel too bad NOT completing. The fun is in the race, not the accomplishment... or at least that's what I tell myself when I realize I'll never beat the first game or Pacific Rift.

I'm a hater, a traito.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinoqs View Post
    I still get the first game out and play it every so often, and it's still great fun (even without MP). I really want to get Apocalypse, because I loved the demo, but so many good games keep coming out that I keep forgetting about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    i hope they add it to ps+
    Apocalypse is part of the instant game collection for PS+
    In Europe anyway.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I got the first at launch and that was really the only reason I bought it. It got pretty boring fast. I don't reckon I'll ever buy another Evolution Studios game and that includes Drive Club.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Quote Originally Posted by Forcedme View Post
    I didn't play enough of Apocalypse do understand what you mean by podium, but in the first two games you compete on tickets--speed runs, time runs, normal races, etc. If you qualify in just one ticket (acquire a bronze, silver, or gold) then you unlock a certain number of points alloted to that award. Gain enough points and you unlock more tickets with higher difficulty levels.

However, to complete the game in full, you will need to unlock the gold medal in every ticket, yes. Don't worry, though. Motorstorm is one of those games that you don't feel too bad NOT completing. The fun is in the race, not the accomplishment... or at least that's what I tell myself when I realize I'll never beat the first game or Pacific Rift.
    I seeee, so it's basically the same but dumbed down in Apocalypse, you can finish 5th and still progress to the next race but there is none of this ticket/difficulty business. Thanks bud

Thread Information