Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Post What If? The PS4 Fails And Sony Quits The Gaming Industry

Ok i am going to throw a spanner into the works in and put a scenario together and see what is possibly outcome of my theory.

Right we have all this hype and threatening console wars winner and estimated price tag of the PS4 console and games. An guessing of which exclusive content will be on the PS4 and will current gen games move to next gen consoles

The other thing is the value of the promotion and marketing, is it worth it if this console fails to impress and appeal to the mass gaming community as a whole... Will they lose money on everyone sold and that is a yes..

Will not revealing it at the conference earlier last month, did it hurt them in a way yes... Did not having a massive conference focused on games alone hurt them yes...

Did focusing on nothing worth the time and all this hardware and controller talk hurt them maybe. So I wonder with all the news coming out since then, has it made an entire difference on the future of the console and will it be a gaming future or a gaming death for Sony as a strong player in the industry

So what if? ( The PS4 Failed ) Are Expectations And Sony Quite The Gaming Industry, What Then

A massive cap in the market needs filled or will it be a two well controlled race between MS and Nintendo

Will the gaming Industry fold up and die, will this Change your opinion of continuing gaming or just move onto another media
    Last edited by claud3; 03-13-2013 at 20:11.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Then you go buy an Xbox. Sony has not shown any signs of failing. Back when Sega closed up shop, they were struggling prior to the Dreamcast failure. Their Sega CD and 32x sold like $#@!. The Saturn lacked when compared to the PS1. The Dreamcast was just a mess all around. Sega pissed of 3rd party devs by releasing the console early.

But if Sony were to close up shop, we would simply buy another console while Sony makes games for Microsoft and Nintendo. Or possibly see Sony team up with someone in the next gen of gaming
    Last edited by Lethal; 03-13-2013 at 15:22.

3. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sony has nothing to worry about I don't think. The PlayStation Meeting teaser trailer was the most watched ad on YouTube in February getting 26.3 million views. Gamestop has said that demand is healthy and Sony are reportedly preparing 16 million consoles for launch ( @ that). The meeting has people excited. Those games looked awesome, the features seem awesome, and Sony went on record saying it $#@!ed up and has recruited one of the industries greatest gaming minds to construct its architecture in collaboration with 1st and 3rd party devs...and that was before Sony dropped the 8GB GDDR5 bomb. Sony made it very clear that it's laser focused on the gaming experience and it showed that with some pretty badass trailers (and some old demos...and some announcements of announcements LOL).

Really, Sony will have amazing momentum going into next gen because its releasing a $#@!load of amazing games this year still. God of War: Ascension, Beyond: Two Souls, The Last of Us, Puppeteer, Before Dawn (we'll see about that one lol), Rain...as well as the rumored GT6...and that's just the stuff we know about...and then after all that we get PS4 and the likes of Killzone and inFamous etc. With a competitive price and a decent launch line up marketed by this new firm it hired recently, Sony's in a great place. Of course there is always the chance that PS4 will flop and fall flat despite all of this...

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    The PS4 won't fail blasphemy!!! Lmao

If it did I think they would go come out with one more console before they quit sega had a series of bad mistakes started with the Sega CD ended with the Saturn when they DID get it right like they did with dreamcast it was too late

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Apprentice
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Ultimate Veteran
    if sony's marketing is good and the price is right the PS4 wont fail

Apprentice

I don't think it will fail. If it did, I would be very disappointed since it might would be the end of the Playstation brand. Heck, even with all the screw ups Sony had with PS3, it still sold (and is still selling) well. I was talking to one of workers up at Gamestop and he said he thinks a lot of gamers are going to go with PS4 this gen (going by the demand they've had etc.).

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    But with everything out so quick and all these leaks and so called truth leaks... Will sony survive this and benefit from it
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    What is failing?
    I am the oncoming storm.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    That word does not compute

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    It is just a theory mate, i am just posting an opinion what could happen and what the effect's it will have

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    But with everything out so quick and all these leaks and so called truth leaks... Will sony survive this and benefit from it
    Why wouldn't they survive it? All that stuff does is build hype which is in favor of Sony not against them. Only thing that can hurt Sony right now is Sony themselves.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    *Spans across the pond, wrench's the spanner out of Caud3's hands and wrench's his neck with it to start out with*

Bah... it's a poor premise to begin with. The area's you've implied failure in the press conference, many would imply would be wins.

This is why they are wins, it get's them out of the way from E3, so E3 can focus on the area's that gamers tend to care most about. Games, and what is PS4 bringing to the market place in terms of games.

There are plenty of us that think beyond, what games are the going to be, that got very hyped on the tech that the PS4 is going to allow.

That said, I don't think you could even declare success or failure at launch date. You can only judge the quality of the launch. And being good or bad on the launch of consoles doesn't necessarily mean they should fold and go home or are the big time winner (i.e. we can't declare the Wii U a total flop just yet.)

Either way, I expect a full hard fought battle between MS and Sony for this generation. I personally consider Wii U the last of last generation (and the Wii U the last of the generation before) in terms of graphic, processing power, world integration, etc they've been sitting a generation behind for low HW cost, low dev cost, etc. It's a money making scenario for sure, but not what a purchaser of a PS/XBOX is looking for. Though both have shown that they want to capture some of the market as well w/ Kinect and Move. I'm not saying it will or should be a primary focus, but it will be there.

Probably the biggest key differentiator between MS and Sony for this generation is going to be social integration. Sony took a first stab at this, I expect MS to have similar features (maybe not all) and have some features up it's sleeves that Sony isn't thinking about (and I don't think Sony put all of it's cards on the table either.) It's a high stakes poker game, and until E3 the picture will remain very muddy. After E3 it will be clear, and opinions about winning will this generation will be slung around, but even then it will most likely be a few years before either side can declare victory.

We all can expect Japan to be won over by Sony even if MS's equipment kicks it's ass. North America is a MS juggernaut and will most likely win (anywhere from Slim to Crushing) if it's anywhere close to being competitive. And the EU will more than likely be won over by Sony if the PS4 is on par or better than the NextBox.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Gaming industry is failing as a whole, this is why they are bringing up the next gen. There is a huge need of change. Sony put amazing show at february which may interest every kind of gamer. They even put angry birds and jetpack ride on psn, "share" button on DS4 for social(WTF is this ????) gamers!! Can't you see how much they are working on ?
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    Gaming industry is failing as a whole, this is why they are bringing up the next gen. There is a huge need of change. Sony put amazing show at february which may interest every kind of gamer. They even put angry birds and jetpack ride on psn, "share" button on DS4 for social(WTF is this ????) gamers!! Can't you see how much they are working on ?
    Meh, I'll call BS on this.

Based on how the internet as classified Generation (purely console - not handhelds.) The sales are still climbing each generation.

7th: 247M and still climbing. Expect it to hit 300M.
    6th: 210M (Sold the last 50M units after Gen Seven Started)
    5th: 145M
    4th: 99M
    3rd: 77M
    2nd: 35M
    1st: Hard to say but it was a few million.

Also, the timing isn't anything new for Sony, they've had a history of bringing successive generations to market every 7yrs.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    You guys realize this thread is a giant "What If", right? Nothing about this thread points to reality. Simply reply with what you think Sony would do if they called it quits.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    You guys realize this thread is a giant "What If", right? Nothing about this thread points to reality. Simply reply with what you think Sony would do if they called it quits.
    Thank you friend... I did put in the thread's title ( WHAT IF )

guys that is all it is, a what if and not a reality

Elite Member
    I dont think sony will fail, quite the oppisite.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    First off I'm going to say nothing they did or didn't do in their conference hurt them. They showed enough that would give them high interest until E3 but left enough secret so that people are still pumped to see what they have to show at E3. It also gave devs the ability to speak openly about the system instead of keeping them locked up behind signed papers.

But... if Sony loses everything this gen and Microsoft is the only serious console left?

I would likely just stick to PC, depending on what certain developers/publishers do with their games that are currently exclusive to Sony. If those games like Uncharted, inFamous, Killzone, Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls get put on the 360 only then I would buy one to play them, otherwise I would never buy a 360 as the only exclusives it has now I'm not interested and can get them on PC.

For gaming this could be a bad thing as there would be no reason for consoles to be spec'd high at launch and it could become stagnant. PC gamers would definitely be upset.

However, I really doubt they'll fail. It would have to take a massive move by Microsoft to do that. Talking exact or higher specs than PS4 along with a price that's at least $100 less than the PS4 at all times. I know we haven't seen anything official from Microsoft, but of what I've seen through leaks and rumors and what we know of PS4, I'd be surprised if the Nextbox does as well this upcoming gen as hit has this one.

Apprentice
    This is a jinxed topic, no more jinxing.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece

If ps4 fails and Microsoft become monopoly on this market, we are doomed unless MS change it is target as a gamer. But steambox will be biggest hope, if sony gave up the game market.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    They will become a game publisher rivaling Ubisoft, EA, Activision and 2 kgames. Sony long list of first party and studios would be a di threat to them.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Financially and overall compared to their previous efforts they failed this gen yet some of the best games ever made can only be found on PS3. I would welcome another failure lol as a gamer, naaa meeaaann

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    What kills me is the amount of people that have tried to resurrect the type of doom and gloom articles that plagued the PS3 era and are trying to apply that to the PS4...and are failing miserably. lol Sony has remained humble about the console and has given no crazy expectations. They have catered to the devs with a dev friendly console, and are catering to the fans with a far more powerful piece of hardware. They still have the hardcore gamer in mind...and that is awesome. I was extremely worried they were going to pull a Nintendo and skimp on hardware. Honestly, I think at this point it comes down to pricing. The vita was competitively priced for the hardware you obtained and I'm certain the PS4 will be priced in a similar fashion. I'm gonna guess and say around $399-$450. Sony is trying to do the direct opposite of the PS3 launch, and they are succeeding. No smart ass remarks, no false promises, etc. Just pure focus on the gamer and the content they will be receiving. I anticipate E3 this year more than I have since 2006.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    I couldnt even make sense of the thread title....

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Thread Information