Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Activision adds in-game purchases called Micro Items to Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Update: The Black Ops 2 Micro Items are available today on Xbox 360. There are nine Personalization Packs, each containing one gun decoration (all listed below), three targeting reticules and a custom player calling card. The Personalization Packs cost 160 Microsoft Points each.

Original story: Activision has added in-game purchases, which it calls Micro Items, to Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.
    Tomorrow, Wednesday 13th March players will notice what Activision describes as "optional" Micro Items within the shooter. Activision community manager Dan Amrich said they were "either personal customisations or nice little luxuries that I've seen players request".
    He insisted none of the Micro Items affect gameplay, rather they are "small, specific ways to enhance your online experience".
    So, what, exactly, are they?
    Personalisation Packs are like "dress-up for your favourite weapon". Each pack contains a unique weapon camo, three targeting reticles and a Calling Card. A set costs 160 Microsoft Points (the Micro Items launch first on Xbox 360, as is Call of Duty tradition, but will come to other platforms later). An example of one of these packs is the Bacon Personalisation Pack, which wraps your weapon in, yes, bacon.
    Another example of a Micro Item is the Extra Slots Pack. This adds 10 more Create-a-Class slots and "significantly" expands your media storage, allowing you to archive 20 more emblems, 32 more films and 40 more screenshots. The pack costs 160 Microsoft Points.
    And there's the Flags of the World Calling Card Packs, which include national flag-themed Calling Cards from countries around the world. These packs are divided by region and cost 80 Microsoft Points each.
    Also included under the Micro Items banner is the Nuketown 2025 map, previously a bonus map awarded to those who pre-ordered and this week available for free, and Nuketown Zombies, previously available as part of the Hardened or Care Package editions of the game, now available as a standalone level for 400 Microsoft Points.
    Micro-transactions have come under fire in recent weeks, with EA games in particular singled out for criticism.
    Perhaps in anticipation of a bad reaction from customers, Amrich moved to pour cold water on fears about Call of Duty's Micro Items impact on gameplay.
    "At the end of the day, all of these items are completely optional, and were created for players who've asked for more customization options," he said. "If that's not you, that's fine; everybody gets Nuketown 2025 for free, so definitely take advantage of that"
    Source

Eh, only a few weapon skins. As long as it isn't a super overpowered weapon i have no problem with it.

Unbound Mercenary
    Got me the Benjamins one, looks kickass. Saw a few people with the bacon one.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Camos? Meh..I'm cool with my diamonds.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Apprentice
    Why not let us customize our character for once..gun skins don't seem that exciting...at all

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I picked up the Bacon one and the CaC extra slots. The extra slots are pretty useless if you only use a couple different classes. But now I have 100 classes and I can't even fill 20 of them lol.

I might get a couple more in the future.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Why did you get so many? Lol I would've been fine with 20 since I like making classes for each game types.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawaiius View Post
    Why not let us customize our character for once..gun skins don't seem that exciting...at all
    Well you don't even see your character, but you see a lot of your gun. Makes sense.

That being said, you should be able to earn them in-game.

$#@!ing microtransactions ruining gaming

I'm a hater, a traito.
    I think this is how micro transactions should be, nothing game changing, but some cosmetic stuff or CaC slots. It offers no advantage to anyone. I like it. The only reason I prestige is for the CaC slots, so this is pretty cool.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    Why did you get so many? Lol I would've been fine with 20 since I like making classes for each game types.
    I have 100 cause that is what the extra CaC slots give you if you are Master Prestige. You can't actually specify the amount of slots you want.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Instead of 1 lump sum of 200brillion trillion dollars every year just before Christmas, they now also get a trickle of regular monies to tide them over to support the dedicated servers as well.
    Does Console COD have dedicated servers?

Thread Information