Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Cell was a great piece of tech but I think it's for the best they are moving towards a more common tech with the PS4. More dev friendly can never be a bad thing.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Elite Guru
    While big developers are winners, smaller companies and indies are the real big winners on all these new machines. Wii U, Ps4 and Xbox 3 are all geared towards the easiest development that developers have ever had on a console.

Code slow sloppy, pointer riddled, branchy code and all these machines will make it sing regardless and that's a good thing.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    While big developers are winners, smaller companies and indies are the real big winners on all these new machines. Wii U, Ps4 and Xbox 3 are all geared towards the easiest development that developers have ever had on a console.

Code slow sloppy, pointer riddled, branchy code and all these machines will make it sing regardless and that's a good thing.
    Absolutely! The little guy seems to be the one gaining the most. The most common tools available to work on the most common architecture. This gen is looking to be very exciting. We are in for a treat IMO.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    With the PS4 it will show if the developers are really crappy, getting paid to sabotage said game on certain console or whatever else. I'm looking right at EA and every said game branch within EA. If any of those companies dork the development process like on the PS3, they are going to stick out like a big red sore thumb with a sign above their head that says "we are rookie developers even though we've been developing for over 6+ years".

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    It is a high figure but look at what Sony has shown so far, an easy to code for system with high graphics and overkill for ram. Social functions, game recording and streaming, a headset in every box. Not only have they coined all the good features of the 360 but they have smothered Sony esque chocolate sauce all over the top of that bad boy not forgetting Sony's 15 world class studios.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

PSN ID
    pitofskulls
    If developers requested this architecture, there had better not be one game come out with only 720p as its highest resolution. The PS3 sucks for that. Sure, the PS3 has some badass hardware, but nearly every game has only 720p. I didn't spend $800+ on a badass 600hz Plasma TV with 1080p and only have a handful of games that have 1080p support. Now with the PS4 having some severely high horsepower under its metaphorical hood, I'll be literally fire breathing mad if the games only come out with 720p as the highest resolution. YOU CAN NOT FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAMING GODS TOUT A POWERFUL CONSOLE AND FLOP ON THE HIGH DEFINITION RESOLUTION OF 1080p!! COME ON, SONY! jeez! grow up! some of us really enjoy the "omfgs" resolution that 1080p offers!! And some of this talk about 4k resolution for movies! wtf??!! make the games the focus of the higher resolution. NO ONE, repeat, NO ONE, has a 4k TV! why focus on movies having that when you have a gaming console??!! i don't care about the movies having that. i want the freaking games to have 1080p support! jeez! how hard is it??!! the ps4 will surely wipe the floor with the PS3 and even the new xbox. now it's time to prove the claims. step up to the plate and beat the hell out of our tv's with the jaw dropping eye candy that 1080p provides.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Paragraphs are really beat things.

Also, I think we'll be seeing a lot more games in 1080p this gen.
    Last edited by Brandon; 03-16-2013 at 03:44.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Ultimate Veteran
    I have no doubt there will be 720p games, but they will in all likelihood have some redeeming factor like incredibly complex physics or animation systems which warrant using the compute units in the GPU for something other than rasterization.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    I honestly think there's a pretty good chance of that.
    It would be crazy not to port the games now. Not unless it doesn't make sense...like games that have heavy modding and KB/M use or they just don't have the infrastructure/resources to port.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by WayFastWhitey View Post
    If developers requested this architecture, there had better not be one game come out with only 720p as its highest resolution. The PS3 sucks for that. Sure, the PS3 has some badass hardware, but nearly every game has only 720p. I didn't spend $800+ on a badass 600hz Plasma TV with 1080p and only have a handful of games that have 1080p support. Now with the PS4 having some severely high horsepower under its metaphorical hood, I'll be literally fire breathing mad if the games only come out with 720p as the highest resolution. YOU CAN NOT FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAMING GODS TOUT A POWERFUL CONSOLE AND FLOP ON THE HIGH DEFINITION RESOLUTION OF 1080p!! COME ON, SONY! jeez! grow up! some of us really enjoy the "omfgs" resolution that 1080p offers!! And some of this talk about 4k resolution for movies! wtf??!! make the games the focus of the higher resolution. NO ONE, repeat, NO ONE, has a 4k TV! why focus on movies having that when you have a gaming console??!! i don't care about the movies having that. i want the freaking games to have 1080p support! jeez! how hard is it??!! the ps4 will surely wipe the floor with the PS3 and even the new xbox. now it's time to prove the claims. step up to the plate and beat the hell out of our tv's with the jaw dropping eye candy that 1080p provides.
    Jesus..just enjoy the $#@!ing games man....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Well they got what they wanted so they better put their games on the PS4.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Well they got what they wanted so they better put their games on the PS4.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    It is a high figure but look at what Sony has shown so far, an easy to code for system with high graphics and overkill for ram. Social functions, game recording and streaming, a headset in every box. Not only have they coined all the good features of the 360 but they have smothered Sony esque chocolate sauce all over the top of that bad boy not forgetting Sony's 15 world class studios.
    Agreed. I think the system is looking fantastic.

Dedicated Member

Double post
    Last edited by Nucleus; 06-03-2013 at 23:50.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    No not really, it just gave PS3 some of the nicest looking games this gen and removed disc swapping, something I haven't done for over a decade.

Sony should have gone x86 this gen but it doesn't matter...it has learned from its mistake. Dev friendly tech + Sony's passion for providing bar raising content will make for a good 8th gen on PlayStation.
    Yes, but at what cost? Well, loading and mandatory game install times that eclipse the time it takes me to get up and change the disc.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Is x86 really that much better for language programming or is it the fact that x86 is more associated with OOOE processors that makes it more appealing?

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    Is x86 really that much better for language programming or is it the fact that x86 is more associated with OOOE processors that makes it more appealing?
    A small part is that bit of fact. The bigger part is that the x86 architecture has been around for almost 40 years now and it's really hard to screw up when there are literally millions of years of man hours spent coding for the said architecture. Honestly, all of this confirms my initial thoughts I had at the beginning of this generation. Developers are $#@!ing lazy and if you don't literally spoon-feed them, they $#@! and whine. Publishers are $#@!ing stupid people who only understand the word, "MILK".

As far as I'm concerned, there should not be one single game with a maximum resolution lower than 1080p at 60Hz and there should be absolutely no whining considering the difficulty level of programming for the consoles. They wanted their easy button moment and they've received it. Now it's time to actually PRODUCE!

17. Likes Omar likes this post
    Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    A small part is that bit of fact. The bigger part is that the x86 architecture has been around for almost 40 years now and it's really hard to screw up when there are literally millions of years of man hours spent coding for the said architecture. Honestly, all of this confirms my initial thoughts I had at the beginning of this generation. Developers are $#@!ing lazy and if you don't literally spoon-feed them, they $#@! and whine. Publishers are $#@!ing stupid people who only understand the word, "MILK".

As far as I'm concerned, there should not be one single game with a maximum resolution lower than 1080p at 60Hz and there should be absolutely no whining considering the difficulty level of programming for the consoles. They wanted their easy button moment and they've received it. Now it's time to actually PRODUCE!
    That's kind of a poor way of looking at it. It's not about laziness. It's about efficiently doing your work better and faster. There's a saying "Work smarter, not harder!" and it means to try and find the 'best way' to do something rather than stubbornly struggle to do it 'your way.' x86 is just the much better way of doing things. And I myself as someone who has dabbled in computer graphics, I can proudly say you really have no freakin idea how difficult and frustrating this stuff can be. I'm sure some programmers spent weeks just to get a few lines of code to work because Sony's debugging tools and programming language were just plain incompetent. I would personally never call someone who developed a game for the PS3 lazy by any regard.

Extreme Poster
    The issue is that we didn't have x86 architecture and so you have to make do with what you have.

I think the CPU architecture wasn't the real issue, the real issue was the split RAM. Though I feel that since CPUs have their own library of tools and so it helps having a more known one.

I'm not going to blame developers but I say, stop whining, it is what it is, either go through with it or don't involve yourself. I'll leave with a quote,
    If You're Going Through Hell, Keep Going - Winston Churchill

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Another way to look at it is that the Cell processor is a push lawnmower and an x86 processor is a riding lawnmower. With the push mower, it takes the farmer 5 hours to mow the field and a lot of strenuous effort, leaving little time to do the rest of his daily chores. But with the riding lawnmower, requires only a tenth of the strength to do to the same work in only just an hour. Developers this generation have done so many hours of zero-pay overtime to just meet deadlines to finish the games, and this has never been so prominent in the video game industry than it is today. I'm sure all this overtime has lead to divorces, mental and physical health issues, and plenty more. The word is "lazy" is about the most insulting this you can say about their hard work and effort.

Extreme Poster
    imo the problem with cell was that it was "needed" to be tamed in order to get the most out of the PS3 because you can't access the other 256MB RAM if you don't utilize it. So if the PS3 had a unified RAM structure, everyone could've easily just ignored the Cell and utilized the RAM more efficiently...you'd still have to work with the weaker RSX though.

Elite Guru
    Another way to look at it is that the Cell processor is a push lawnmower and an x86 processor is a riding lawnmower. With the push mower, it takes the farmer 5 hours to mow the field and a lot of strenuous effort, leaving little time to do the rest of his daily chores. But with the riding lawnmower, requires only a tenth of the strength to do to the same work in only just an hour. Developers this generation have done so many hours of zero-pay overtime to just meet deadlines to finish the games, and this has never been so prominent in the video game industry than it is today. I'm sure all this overtime has lead to divorces, mental and physical health issues, and plenty more. The word is "lazy" is about the most insulting this you can say about their hard work and effort.
    That analogy is half correct. To make it more accurate you could say the hand mover can potentially mow twice as much at the same time. Still a pain to do but there is cause for a potential reward in the end. That said if I was the developer I would take the ride on mower any day.

It has some of the most hardened and toughened tool available, it is a well known standard. The most predictable a system is the more it will be favored. Personally I would loved to see a pure PowerPC system (as most developers would) but there is a whole host of issues other than the ISA that hold back that platform.

Developers are $#@!ing lazy and if you don't literally spoon-feed them, they $#@! and whine.

Not really, game development is incredibly complex. Having to get literally hundreds/thousands of independent bits of software to work flawlessly with each other is an achievement in itself. Anything that can make this process easier is a very welcome addition.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    That analogy is half correct. To make it more accurate you could say the hand mover can potentially mow twice as much at the same time. Still a pain to do but there is cause for a potential reward in the end. That said if I was the developer I would take the ride on mower any day.
    My analogy wasn't about processing power tho. It was just an analogy for the time and effort needed to write working code.

Elite Guru
    My analogy wasn't about processing power tho. It was just an analogy for the time and effort needed to write working code.
    True but it's also a factor that shouldn't be ignored personally.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Psh... I feel ya. And that moment when Kurosaki Ichigo...

Hell yeah.

Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Thread Information