View Poll Results: How is the moderation?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too strict

3 11.11%
  • Too lenient

2 7.41%
  • Just right

22 81.48%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    i voted just right, though

the only srtict rule on the forums...

people sometimes get caught out, misfortune on their part does not warrant such treatment.
    While I don't agree with the "just right part" the quote you posted I definitely agree with which is too strict. That is one of the reasons I made a comment in the announcement.

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by djpenny View Post
    Infractions & Bans board shouldn't be view by members
    Why not? It sets an example.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Honestly, I've never read the rules here. For the most part I use common sense, saying that I find the rules fine how they are and I dont recall ever getting a warning or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by djpenny View Post
    Infractions & Bans board shouldn't be view by members
    Hey dont give them ideas, I like to read that.

EDIT: wait, guess I have semi-read the rules since I read that board daily .. lol

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Master Guru
    I like reading what people got hit for, it's entertaining. sometimes though I don't think "Said person" should get the infraction or ban while other times it's very justified. That's just my opinion though

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    I think the problem with a melee forum would be that it would create a hostile feeling directed at some members. Someone that isn't inclined to answer back may feel pushed out from the forums.
    If the member who the thread is aimed at doesn't reply then that's fair enough but the melee forum would give members who don't normally have a chance to vent freely the option to do so and without any repercussions. It's not like any and all offensive language would be permitted -- any derogatory language will result in a permaban -- so if someone takes offense to the language that CAN be used, which would be swears and insults you hear in every day life, then they need to re-evaluate their existence on PSU. It's only words on a screen, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Point taken but do you guys honestly think that a melee section would work? Seems like it wouldn't serve a point as the whole reason why people argue in a thread is because it's about that certain thread. What are they going to argue about in a different section? you might as well PM one another...we all know how useful that is with arguments.
    Yes, I do believe a melee forum would work. As I've mentioned to Ixion in a PM, I've seen melee forums implemented on other forums and they worked brilliantly. They even helped bring communities closer together, as people ironed out their issues with one another. The reason it would be a forum and not a private message is it would allow third-parties to view and/or interact with both parties.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    If the member who the thread is aimed at doesn't reply then that's fair enough but the melee forum would give members who don't normally have a chance to vent freely the option to do so and without any repercussions. It's not like any and all offensive language would be permitted -- any derogatory language will result in a permaban -- so if someone takes offense to the language that CAN be used, which would be swears and insults you hear in every day life, then they need to re-evaluate their existence on PSU. It's only words on a screen, after all.
    Regardless, is this the right time to implement something that could drive members away rather than focusing on things that could drive new memebers in?
    Other opinions are available.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    Regardless, is this the right time to implement something that could drive members away rather than focusing on things that could drive new memebers in?
    And what's to say the idea of a forum where free speech reigns would drive members away? It could, for all you know, draw them in.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    While I don't agree with the "just right part" the quote you posted I definitely agree with which is too strict. That is one of the reasons I made a comment in the announcement.
    well, a rule needs to be in place. there needs to be something in place to enforce. you can't have two people in a thread $#@!ing wildly back and forth.

the wording however, makes the rule far more intimidating to someone who would like to engage in discussion. sometimes the trolls aren't as obvious as the example ixion pointed out
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Master Guru

Yes, I do believe a melee forum would work. As I've mentioned to Ixion in a PM, I've seen melee forums implemented on other forums and they worked brilliantly. They even helped bring communities closer together, as people ironed out their issues with one another. The reason it would be a forum and not a private message is it would allow third-parties to view and/or interact with both parties.
    something like you pointed out would definitely drive members away.

I am just saying that the mods should be a bit more lenient when it comes to threads derailing unless of course they get reported by the thread creater then a warning should be given for that specific topic. it's a per topic basis. It's the fact of being a bit more lenient. don't need a melee room for pete sakes that will definintely drive members away o.O people putting another persons name is the point in topic to bash? yea, disaster strikes.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Too strict in some cases and far far too lenient in others.

In fact whatever if I can't say it here where can I say it? This is a playstation forum and yet the moderation policy appears set up to turn a blind eye to those who want to upset the apple cart and punish without mercy those on the other side of the fence. This happens time and time again. Baiting seems to me at least to often go completely ignored and yet as soon as someone takes that bait BOOM infraction.

I don't care until somebody gets infracted but then the staff have got to show common sense and equitability. It takes two (or more) to tango and one party usually gets away with it.
    Last edited by Cyn; 03-14-2013 at 16:35.

Forum Overseer
    And what's to say the idea of a forum where free speech reigns would drive members away? It could, for all you know, draw them in.
    How free is it when you still have to follow the "forum rules"? But this is besides the point.

My point is, who really has a huge problem with another member and that they care enough to resolve it?

I've had issues with members in the past but not with them but their posts. It's nothing personal. I don't understand why someone would take it personal where they'd have to bring it out in front of others to resolve it.

Sounds silly to be honest lol.

12. Likes The Black Wolf, mistercrow likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Members who have an issue with each other should resolve this via PM. I'm not sure having a section for it is necessary or productive for the site.

14. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    I don't see anyone joining a forum to pick an argument with another member of the forum. But I may be wrong. Other opinions are available.
    Other opinions are available.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    My infraction was deserved and others maybe as well, but some they were not

But it is the way it is, I think they are just right and that is because I have not been in a infraction firing line in a long time and i guess the best option and only option is keep your nose clean on the forum

And it will be smooth sailing for you and others
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Its 'just right' and sometimes wanders into the 'too strict' region. Never felt it was too lenient. Lately I saw some bans on regular posters that were out of the blue. I assume those users got warnings prior to the ban because the reasons didn't justify instant without warning ban.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    My infraction was deserved and others maybe as well, but some they were not

But it is the way it is, I think they are just right and that is because I have not been in a infraction firing line in a long time and i guess the best option and only option is keep your nose clean on the forum

And it will be smooth sailing for you and others
    I don't think your infraction was deserved. It felt a little strict.

People should be able to bring their personalities here, that's what keeps the community thriving. I don't wanna come here all the time to listen to boring comments that are supposed to always add to the discussion.

A little bit of side-track isn't that bad imo. People are just uptight.

19. Likes Silvy likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Members who have an issue with each other should resolve this via PM. I'm not sure having a section for it is necessary or productive for the site.
    Definitley. I dont see anything good coming out of a section like that.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Definitley. I dont see anything good coming out of a section like that.
    It really is quite remarkable how quick some of you are to shut it down before you've even give it a chance. As I said before, I've seen melee forums implemented on other forums and they've worked brilliantly in helping resolve issues between members and bringing the community closer together. Ixion is keen on the idea, as is Cuguy, and I for one would love to see a melee forum added to PSU.

Forum Overseer
    It really is quite remarkable how quick some of you are to shut it down before you've even give it a chance. As I said before, I've seen melee forums implemented on other forums and they've worked brilliantly in helping resolve issues between members and bringing the community closer together. Ixion is keen on the idea, as is Cuguy, and I for one would love to see a melee forum added to PSU.
    I don't know what kind of forums they were but this is a gaming news forum first, not a feelings forum. I just don't think it will work.

But you guys can try. I think it's childish. We're adults, we don't need a third party to fix our issues.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    What difference does it make if this conflict is resolved privately or through the forum though?

Forum Overseer
    What difference does it make if this conflict is resolved privately or through the forum though?
    From what I gather, it's so that people can participate and sort of help out with the healing process.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    isn't that why we have the shoutbox? to shout at each other?
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

26. Likes Silvy likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    From what I gather, it's so that people can participate and sort of help out with the healing process.
    Healing process? lol Things would most likely just escalate imo. And friends of the thread poster would jump in and gang up on the member being called out. At the end of the exchange do you honestly think everyone will hold hands and sing koombaya as this "healing process" begins? lol Anybody petty enough to make a thread about another member will certainly be too immature to put anything behind them.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-14-2013 at 17:38.

El Presidente
    I've never had any issues with any one here so I don't see any problems. Any threads that are created by spam bots seem to be cleaned up pretty quickly. Sometimes threads get out of hand but I've never noticed it continuing for days on end or anything like that.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    This. I've seen this "feature" on other forums and it's the worst idea I've ever seen. I've also seen forums with places that have "unmoderated" sections and oh boy... there is some bad stuff in there.

As for Moderation... we used to give out warnings before dealing punishment. Posts were still cleaned and whatnot... but people were given a heads up to their behavior first and it worked pretty well, I think. It also gives the members in question a chance to respond to the Mod dealing with the issue in case they are confused as to what they did... which is sometimes the case. Dealing out blind punishments tends to cause resentment and discord.
    Last edited by Brandon; 03-14-2013 at 17:41.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Thread Information