View Poll Results: How is the moderation?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too strict

3 11.11%
  • Too lenient

2 7.41%
  • Just right

22 81.48%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Selected Members Council
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I just want to point out that current staff shouldn't be responsible for infractions someone else gave them several years ago. Recently, someone asked if they could have one of their infractions removed. I told them we couldn't do anything about it because it was so old (it doesn't even show up on their profile page for us to view) and the guy decides to leave.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Administrator

Is Our Moderating Too Strict Or Too Lenient?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I just want to point out that current staff shouldn't be responsible for infractions someone else gave them several years ago. Recently, someone asked if they could have one of their infractions removed. I told them we couldn't do anything about it because it was so old (it doesn't even show up on their profile page for us to view) and the guy decides to leave.
    Administrators can't remove infractions? Or even the site owners? I don't remember vBulletin limiting owners like that. Surely there is something somewhere in the settings in the vBulletin control panel. It wouldn't make sense for it to not allow the Admin or higher to perform such a basic function.

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Administrators can't remove infractions? Or even the site owners? I don't remember vBulletin limiting owners like that. Surely there is something somewhere in the settings in the vBulletin control panel. It wouldn't make sense for it to not allow the Admin or higher to perform such a basic function.
    Maybe administrators can do it differently but it seems like after a certain point (in this case, when the forums merged with the main site) any infractions, posts or threads that came before don't show up while searching.

Administrator

Maybe administrators can do it differently but it seems like after a certain point (in this case, when the forums merged with the main site) any infractions, posts or threads that came before don't show up while searching.
    Ahh. Maybe that's the issue. Well that stinks, lol.

Selected Members Council
    Also, just my opinion but I don't think we should add more forums. We have a PS3 vs. Xbox (Versus) forum and it's barely active. Add a melee forum and it'll probably turn out the same way, if not add more clutter to the main page.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I voted 'just right'. There will always be certain circumstances when an infracted or banned member believes they have been unjustly punished for their actions, but from what I've witnessed as a regular and staff member the staff are always open to discussion concerning their decisions. If a member can present a solid argument against the infraction or ban that plainly illustrates that the staff's decision was incorrect or overlooked something, generally the staff will choose to overturn their decision.

It's not a perfect system and the staff are not infallible, but there is usually a significant amount of thought put into the infraction or ban of any member.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Administrator

Also, just my opinion but I don't think we should add more forums. We have a PS3 vs. Xbox (Versus) forum and it's barely active. Add a melee forum and it'll probably turn out the same way, if not add more clutter to the main page.
    I think once the PS4 and Nextbox come out, those sites may become more active. Every forum was insanely active prior to and after the PS3's initial release. It was a handful to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    I voted 'just right'. There will always be certain circumstances when an infracted or banned member believes they have been unjustly punished for their actions, but from what I've witnessed as a regular and staff member the staff are always open to discussion concerning their decisions. If a member can present a solid argument against the infraction or ban that plainly illustrates that the staff's decision was incorrect or overlooked something, generally the staff will choose to overturn their decision.

It's not a perfect system and the staff are not infallible, but there is usually a significant amount of thought put into the infraction or ban of any member.
    I agree... as a previous Mod, the current staff are doing a fantastic job. Although the forums have become more adult-oriented lately.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Right what changes should their be to make this a great place to post..

I see this a great too post and the reason for that is you guys and the freedom we have to expand are thoughts and we can explain are reasons for are opinions openly and with out fear of hate from anyone

I can not see anything happening unless the Mods and staff in general change in a way that suits them and benefits us...

Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    In fact I want less forum sections. I really like Neogaf's way of just having one gaming section. That ensures all threads get seen by viewers. The more sections you have, the more chances a good thread is doomed because of being in an inactive section

10. Likes Omar likes this post
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    They do? Then what's up with this?

After the change was put in place, all infractions AFTER that point issued will expire. Anything prior to it, does not (there isn't a way to mass purge old infractions)...
    LMAO

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)

I, or Ixion, can delete infractions ... certainly. I would prefer to be the one to do it, sort of keep track, but we can do it.
    LMAO

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    In fact I want less forum sections. I really like Neogaf's way of just having one gaming section. That ensures all threads get seen by viewers. The more sections you have, the more chances a good thread is doomed because of being in an inactive section
    It does make things a little chaotic and harder to navigate. There is the "new posts" button, but sometimes that wigs out and doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    After the change was put in place, all infractions AFTER that point issued will expire. Anything prior to it, does not (there isn't a way to mass purge old infractions)...
    That infraction is from August, so it isn't that old. I get what you're saying though.

I, or Ixion, can delete infractions ... certainly. I would prefer to be the one to do it, sort of keep track, but we can do it.
    That's what I thought.
    Last edited by Brandon; 03-14-2013 at 22:19.

Forum Overseer

Jaeger, I wrote a response and it didn't go through. I'll respond to you later when I'm home.
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    I can't stress this enough. It should be, one gaming and one other (for everything else including forum games, politics, religion whatever else is there to discuss). And to remove clutter, they can just add little sections with MS, Nintendo that sorta stuff instead of having another section for it.

Because I know I haven't look in those sections in months but i wouldn't mind seeing a thread about them. just not going to go there just to see.

also it probably discourages people from posting there because no one would see it.

The most efficient would be to just have two sections, one gaming and one other non-gaming discussions.

Well, $#@!, I know I have a couple that are just annoying showing up on my USERCP page. I don't care if they're removed or not, I just don't want to see them every time I go up there.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 03-14-2013 at 22:27. Reason: Merging.

Selected Members Council
    I think the idea of tackling issues with another member should be done privately. Or just continue it from the thread where it originated from instead, if it's relevant to the discussion. We recently created a forum for Community Opinions that I feel would be much better suited for this type of thing.

Go for it. It's not showing up for me.

http://www.psu.com/forums/member.php/48560-1solidsnake
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 03-14-2013 at 22:29.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Jaeger, I wrote a response and it didn't go through. I'll respond to you later when I'm home.
    Fair enough, I look forward to seeing what you have to say.

Blacksite, the idea of The Melee is to prevent threads being derailed. If a comment is made that someone disagrees with, it would be more beneficial to the forum as a whole to have a new topic to continue the discussion of that certain comment rather than have the entire topic go downhill.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Fair enough, I look forward to seeing what you have to say.

Blacksite, the idea of The Melee is to prevent threads being derailed. If a comment is made that someone disagrees with, it would be more beneficial to the forum as a whole to have a new topic to continue the discussion of that certain comment rather than have the entire topic go downhill.
    I'm not saying they shouldn't take it to PMs or make a new topic but why create an entire forum around it? Threads get derailed almost on a daily basis but it's usually the same crowd making jokes and complimenting each other.

18. Likes -Shafty- likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    I say instead off a MELE thread, just under your own accord stay way from the forum and cool down and come back in a couple of days

This will let the time settle and all be sorted... I do not want a thread were if you just pop in and all you see is all out hate on a member or members... That does not sound right for the forum

And certainly no newbies will want to sign up, if they see that thread...

Unless it is invisible to guests
    Last edited by claud3; 03-14-2013 at 23:16.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    After reading all the replies, I think I will start to become more strict.

I think I will just randomly draw names to ban.

21. Likes Fijiandoce, Omar likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    A Ban Hat, now that sounds like something to pull off

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I chose 'just right'.

I'd rather have good content compared to more members and threads going manic.

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post

You mean you'll never give out a warning when you mean to infract someone instead.

25. Likes Lethal likes this post
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    A Ban Hat, now that sounds like something to pull off
    It should be like the Harry Potter sorting hat! o_0

Forum Overseer

It can be used for a number of things.

One example would be something they read about in the news or on here. They can create a thread in The Melee, away from the restrictions in place in other sub-forums, and vent to their hearts content -- avoiding any derogatory language, of course. It's a means for people to really get passionate about subjects close to them and a way for them to have a mature discussion with only one rule/guideline in place. Like I said, it worked before and it can work again.
    Before I continue, I want to say that I do think it's a neat idea but do not think it would be practical for these forums.

From what I'm reading above, honestly it sounds like a trap lol. Not trying to downplay your idea.

Think about it, you get someone who's passionate and want them to vent out, is it not more likely that they "will" go ahead and use derogatory language?

And if they're civil enough to not go down that path, how is the regular forums any different?

So you say that this way the threads aren't derailed. Well, maybe the reason why the thread is being derailed or a hot discussion is going on because of the thread...once you take that away, I see no motivation for them to continue on, especially when no one else is going to care enough to go down that section just to see them bicker more.

Another thing The Melee can be used for, as mentioned previously, is threads for a more 'one-on-one' debate. If a member says something to you in another thread that riles you up, and has done so repeatedly for example, then you can create a thread and give it all you've got -- again with no derogatory language, of course - and await their response. It's a chance for members to really tackle issues with others with no rules or guidelines.
    That would work if both parties decide to talk it out elsewhere. I know, myself, would not care enough to keep discussing something through PM if it's a subject that everyone should read about (in that thread).

What is a forum when you can't discuss amongst everyone? Isn't the entire point we come here is to voice our opinions in front of dozens (used to be hundreds lol) of fans?

Otherwise you'd be left with a bunch of "I agree" "I disagree" but no one actually coming forth with a discussion.

As I mentioned before, GamingForums (now known as GameFront) became a closer community once The Melee was implemented. People were made aware of issues with each other and, together, they ironed out these issues and learned how to not annoy each other. In that aspect, The Melee can be a VERY good thing to have implemented on PSU. I do mean, of course, that as long as people don't resort to 'lol u hav a $#@! growing out ur head m8' and crap like that and have actually proof to back up any arguments within The Melee, then I see no reason it cannot work.
    Thing about that is, while it may be effective in a situation where you have people like that...I haven't seen anything here that would warrant that, are there any two people you know that have it so bad that they need to open a thread about it?

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    I'm not saying they shouldn't take it to PMs or make a new topic but why create an entire forum around it? Threads get derailed almost on a daily basis but it's usually the same crowd making jokes and complimenting each other.
    Aint that the $#@!in' truth!

Look, something must have gone very wrong somewhere here...? All the good members are more or less gone now. Why?

Some infracted into not coming back? Some just cant be arsed with most of the threads that turn into some unfunny nonsense,random bull$#@!?

Melee forum?? Jesus Jaeger, what a $#@! idea! You been watching too much Jeremy Kyle dude!

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style

HA! I remember when 33x tried to ban me in the subs thread.... he thought he had done too! Freaked him out when he saw me in there whilst i was supposedly 'banned'

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Thread Information