Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

Nielsen: Majority Of PS3 Users' Time Spend On Media

The 360 has a similar stat so it seems that most console owners use them more for media than games. I just don' get it.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-on-media.aspx

Console gamers can do more than play games on their systems Ė that much we all know Ė but the extent to which players are doing so may surprise you, particularly on the PlayStation 3. According to a Nielsen survey, PS3 users spent more time in 2012 using the console as a media device than they did playing games.
    The survey found that PlayStation 3 users said they spent 46 percent of their total console time playing games, with the rest divided between watching movies and TV shows, listening to music, and accessing the Internet. The Wii continues to be the favorite of the three consoles listed for video streaming (the Wii U wasn't part of the survey), soaking up about a third of Wii users' console time. And the Xbox 360 is the most popular destination between the PS3, 360, and Wii for online gaming, with users on that platform spending approximately a third of their console time playing while connected.
    With the advent of next-gen upon us, it should be interesting to see if users continue to turn to their consoles to access other media. Will Nielsen have to expand their categories to includeshared gaming content?
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

2. Likes MarkusRivers likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Not in my case, I use my laptop/tablet etc. for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Superior Member
    It may be a skewed stat for both the 360 and PS3 for those that use them as their main DVD/Blu-Ray player.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    0% of the time for me. I do watch a lot of DVDs and blu rays though.
    Really cool graph, it's interesting, and expected that Wii online playing is <10%

Via Tapatalk

Elite Member
    I did use my ps3 half the time to watch tv/movies, but then I got a desktop hooked up to the tv for that.
    I talk to myself because I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    This isn't surprising at all. It's why you will see Sony push the PS4 as an all-rounder just like their previous consoles - maybe not at launch, but it is designed to be exactly that perhaps further down the line when it's mass market price

Though it will be interesting if people will buy them as media machines in the future as now we are seeing many more devices including TVs themselves that have a plethoria of media capabilities

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Use my ps3 for bbc iplayer, editing, usb movies, netflix, some serious internet browsing (joking..as if i would) and gaming...although gaming is currently in second place as i burn through season 2 of 24 on netflix..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Master Guru
    The PS3 only does everything. This is just a testament to that slogan.

It's a gaming machine and so much more.

Ultimate Veteran
    At least netflix is free on the ps3 other consoles you need to pay for it besides netflix monthly bill

Elite Guru
    I have to admit that my Ps3's are used for a lot more media play back than games.

It was back when Ps3 was first being demoed around a while before it's release that Sony Rep's always kept telling me that 'This device will replace the Home theater PC', I kind of ignored it at the time but I have to agree now days that they really did kill the HPC and good for them.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    At least netflix is free on the ps3 other consoles you need to pay for it besides netflix monthly bill
    Actually it's free (minus the subscription) for all other devices, except for Xbox.
    And that sounds about right. PS3 time is split between games, Netflix and BR player
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Just tell him go away you and your useless words liar.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    When my PS3 worked I used it as a media centre using PS3 MEdia server streaming all my music and TV shows and stuff like that and of course as a Blu ray/DVD player. The only game I regularly played was GT5.

Elite Member
    I can agree with this survey because of the fact that 360 users have to pay to play games online so it's more of incentive to get your money's worth. On Ps3 its free so you tend to have more leisure time to browse the net listen to music watch movies and such.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Elite Guru
    You can burn a LOT more time watching netflix and home video than you think, but people also tend to under report how much they play games. You can say "well I watched 5 episodes of Boardwalk Empire on Monday so that's 5 hours... I think I played 4 stages in Resident Evil yesterday so that's... like 2 hours?" when in reality it was probably just as much as the show.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    The 360 has a similar stat so it seems that most console owners use them more for media than games. I just don' get it.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-on-media.aspx

It makes sense. I, like many other adult gamers, don't have time to play all the time but the family still watches netflix/hulu and the PS3 is way easier to navigate than Roku.

Apprentice
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    I use my PS3 for gaming only. I have watched only a couple of blu-rays on it. I don't use the internet browser at all as it's far too slow for anything. I have about 10 pics saved on the PS3 and 1 Johnny Cash album. I just couldn't be arsed to use it other than for gaming only. I have my laptop and PC for all other web based options to be done.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    I think I used all that media once and never touched it again

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Apprentice
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    I think I used all that media once and never touched it again
    That's basically what I done. Used everything a couple of times and never really used it again.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    I use my PS3 as much for media as for gaming so guess I'm in the majority here. Mainly BBC iPlayer and actually a lot of youtube. Which works fine except when the damn ads freeze the system. I dread seeing those ads

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I used to watch all shows and movies via external HDD or via PlayTV back in the day. These days I just plug said HDD to the laptop or directly to the TV,.

Only media I watch/listen on it now are BluRay movies.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Only media I watch/listen on it now are BluRay movies.
    Same here. All i really use my PS3 for is gaming and Blu-ray movie watching.

PSN ID
    l0ngl1vep1ay
    This isn't surprising to me at all. It doesn't actually say anything about the market other than we can now do more with our consoles. I have a PS3 because I want to play games. But I use Netflix extensively. I don't have cable in the room I rent - because I have netflix - so my PS3 stays on a lot and I play games a lot but all of my TV watching is pretty much just Netflix. I also watch tv before bed and when I'm working on something else, college homework, whatever, netflix is usually on just as background noise. This doesn't mean I own it to watch media it just means I can watch media and so I do and its my exclusive media source. As much as I love gaming gaming could be an hour or two maybe, the tv could be on (for good or ill) all day. Its passive and so its likely to be running longer which is all this measures.

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post

It's odd people on this site will have you believe consoles need to play games and games only, For me my PS3 is my media machine and when it comes down to games and how much time i play them it's very minimal compared to watching films, music & streaming.

PSN ID
    LongDongSilverz
    I understand the numbers. I originally bought my PS3 about 5 years ago (maybe more lol) and used it mostly for playing games and right behind that, watching blu-rays. Then, a little less than 2 years ago, I got a place with my fiance and shortly after, my PS3 was mostly used for streaming Netflix and watching blu-rays. Now, beginning Feb 18th of this year, my PS3 has more of a balance between gaming and videos because I started working second shift and she is on first, so I now have the days to play games and she watches Netflix etc in the evenings. Hoorah PS3! lol Another thread topic: Is having a girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse/significant other directly related to the amount of game time a person gets and/or is there a correlation with maturity level as well? Interesting...

Thread Information