View Poll Results: How long should a videogame last for?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-5 hours

0 0%
  • 6-8 hours

0 0%
  • 8-10 hours

5 15.63%
  • 12-15 hours

8 25.00%
  • 15-20 hours

11 34.38%
  • 20 hours plus

8 25.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Then i am just guessing SKYRIM, OBLIVION are the only one's i prefer to have replay value for me

Besides them, gta games are the next replay value for me
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Selected Members Council
    I'm fine with 12-15 hours.

RPGs can last 30+ hours but are usually designed in a way that you deviate from the main quest or do favors along the way to progress further. Skyrim was 6-8 hours, if you only focused on completing the main quest.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 03-16-2013 at 21:28.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

3. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Apprentice
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    I like games to be at least 20+ hours long. But it does depend on what kind of games they are though.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Depends on the game. I'll happily pay full price for a 5 hour game if its an awesome 5 hours, like Heavenly Sword.

Each game is different and I think many games are padded out just to add extra hours, obviously RPGs are different but even then they vary from 12-70 hours.

I voted 12-15, because for a lot of genres, its a good length. But to be honest game length doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    GTA is more of a life time off gaming, were is C.O.D is a short gaming experience and the life time off gaming is all online only and that is not a real gaming in my opinion
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    I generally like my games to be 15-20, but RPGs should be 40+

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Mass Effect 3 felt really short for an RPG (roughly 29 hours), and I did everything.

EVERYTHING

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Mass Effect 3 felt really short for an RPG (roughly 29 hours), and I did everything.

EVERYTHING
    Did you buy all of the DLC

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Anything over 7 hours

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by LastManDancing View Post
    The game should last as long as the quality holds.

Edit: But I think the absolute minimum length is like eight.
    I agree. However long it takes to tell a nice story without dragging it out. I think absolute minimum games should be 10 hours. It also does depend on the game.

I'm feeling a bit disappointed with the length of AC Revelations. I'm at 13 hours right now and am close to being done. I skipped side quests mostly. But I found about 70-80% of the treasures in the world, unlocked a decent number of shops and took out each templar den. I can likely finish the main story in an hour or hour and a half. At the end I can hack off at least an hour of my final time from doing stuff away from the main story which will place me at less than 15 hours.

Could have been longer and more variety in missions to make it better. I like Ezio and Altair's stories but everything else it just filler to take up more time.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    HitMan00
    6-8 hours on normal mode and 12-15 Hard mode and if there's a higher level 15-20. Easy mode 3-5 hours.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Updator
    I voted for 15-20 hours but it really does depend on what type of game it is and how engaging a story it is for the length of time. If a game s 15 hours long but you get bored of the story after 8 hours then it is too long.

I'm happy with a short game though, as long as it is engaging.
    I can read your thoughts.

General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Nice write up Steven!

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GalapagosaraY
    well i dont really mind the length of games as i did back at the older generations as i tend to not have enough time for others if they get too addictive or long.

I remember when the PSX generation came alot of games wasnt considered good in some genres like racing and some other genres if they didnt have a sort of "Career mode" in em which usually racks up the most hours in most games today depending on the genre.

Imo it depends on the genre. In general i dont mind a low count of hours in FPS games these days due to pretty much all of em being made like a Michael Bay movie. Ie. Uncharted/COD is fine with me if theyre short it just get too exhausting after a while if they are longer than this. I played Crysis 1 not that long ago with its expansion and it took 8 and 5 hours to complete or so and that was more than enough imo, maybe Warhead could atleast have been like Crysis original length but it was a "expansion pack".

I would go for 15-20 hours in most genres in general but i dont mind 8-10 hours if its a blockbuster sort of game which has been this generations biggest trademark imo

Edit: Oh noticed the question was not how long a game should be but a single player campaign, well in those type of games i think 12-15 is ok. 8-10 usually tends to leave you wanting a bit more, like i did with the original Crysis. Considering the tech the game had and visuals it felt rather too short and slightly unsatisfying having to uninstall it right after completing it. I usually dont play games again in a harder mode unless it had some addictive appeal. Uncharted 1 is the last one i remember i did due to the games shooting mechanics
    Last edited by GalapagosaraY; 03-23-2013 at 18:37.

Cur.Playing PS3 : Back to the Future: Episode 2 - Monkey Island 2 SE: LeChuck's Revenge

Playing PC: Thief - Edna & Harvey: Harvey´s New Eyes

Recently Completed: Heavy Rain 8.0/10 - Devil May Cry 2 HD 4.5/10 - AC: Revelations 8.5/10

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I say about 12-15 hrs in general. For a good platformer, action game or shooter. Shooters rarely come close to this mark. If it's an RPG, I'd like the story to last at least 20 hours, that being a shorter experience than most.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadCrow View Post
    12-15 is the perfect length of any campaign. Anything than that is just pushing it. Unless you're Naughty Dog, Quantic Dream, Rocksteady Studios, or Kojima Production.
    Or Capcom (Okami).

I like my games long, 15-20 hours.

Here's what I find crazy about this gen of gaming. With blu ray dics and all this space on the consoles, my games are shorter. I always wondered about it.
    Currently Playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire for the Nintendo 3DS

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Or Capcom (Okami).

I like my games long, 15-20 hours.

Here's what I find crazy about this gen of gaming. With blu ray dics and all this space on the consoles, my games are shorter. I always wondered about it.
    A good chunk of that data is reserved for high-resolution textures, levels, models etc. Not that the length of a game would represent its overall quality. As an example, the Uncharted titles are 10-12 hours but rarely criticized.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 03-24-2013 at 00:15.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Well if you see my long posts in the ELDERS SCROLLS THREAD, you will know i love long games

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    My answer ("as long as it remains fun") isn't an option. I really hate this question. GTA IV was a long-ass game, but it also became a BORING-ass game, having to chase a guy on a motorcycle through traffic in 3 different missions (amongst numerous other repeated missions). If I spend $60 on a game that turns out to be 6 hours long...6 exciting, fun-filled hours long...then I got my money's worth. "The Walking Dead" game wasn't all that long, and I would have gladly paid $60 to experience it.

Shut up and play games

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinoqs View Post
    My answer ("as long as it remains fun") isn't an option. I really hate this question. GTA IV was a long-ass game, but it also became a BORING-ass game, having to chase a guy on a motorcycle through traffic in 3 different missions (amongst numerous other repeated missions). If I spend $60 on a game that turns out to be 6 hours long...6 exciting, fun-filled hours long...then I got my money's worth. "The Walking Dead" game wasn't all that long, and I would have gladly paid $60 to experience it.
    This. And I think GOW 3 vs FF 13 is a nice comparison. GOW 3 was one of the best and only took my half day to finish, we took it on release day and my bro didn't wanted to play it on my first run and just watched. He said it's damn fun to watch.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    There hasn't been a fully-fledged sub-8 hour title that felt complete.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Thread Information