PSN ID
    Hectorlito08

Hard drive data tranfer

Sorry if this has been discussed already. Searching on my phone makes it difficult. Kinda complex. I have a older ps3. Didnt have much hd space so i went out and bought a new 250 hd. Installed it and them put the old hd in an external enclosure(i think thats what it's called), with the hopes that I could then transfer my data with a usb cord to the new hd. I have been looking around a lot and cant find directions to it. Is this possible? I read somewhere that you have to format it but do I still have to considering it was originally a ps3 hd and should already be formatted. Thanks in advance!

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by Hectorlito View Post
    Sorry if this has been discussed already. Searching on my phone makes it difficult. Kinda complex. I have a older ps3. Didnt have much hd space so i went out and bought a new 250 hd. Installed it and them put the old hd in an external enclosure(i think thats what it's called), with the hopes that I could then transfer my data with a usb cord to the new hd. I have been looking around a lot and cant find directions to it. Is this possible? I read somewhere that you have to format it but do I still have to considering it was originally a ps3 hd and should already be formatted. Thanks in advance!
    Only way I think is to have another PS3 system and link them up via ethernet cable dont think its possible to do it via a usb enclosure?? You can back up your saves to a USB drive or the cloud via PSN+ but think thats the only way PS3 to PS3.

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Here are your only options.

1. Put the original hard drive back in to the PS3. Use an external hard drive to do a full system backup. When complete, insert the new hard drive and go to system settings on your PS3. Do a "Restore from backup". You will need to have the external hard drive plugged in to the PS3. This will copy everything to your new hard drive.

2. Join Playstation Plus and upload your game saves to the cloud. You can also copy your game saves to a USB thumb drive, but some game saves can not be transferred this way. Playstation Plus allows you to copy ALL of your game saves. You can only transfer game saves this way.

3. If you have 2 PS3 consoles, you could do a data transfer with an ethernet cable. You would go to settings and choose the data transfer option.

Apprentice
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    As said already, if you have the 2 PS3's connected together, this will work to transfer files from one PS3 to the other. This could take a long time to do depending how much memory you are transferring.

PSN ID
    Hectorlito08
    Thank you all very much. I guess my last question would be...i already have new data on this new hard drive. Will the data be deleted is i do ps3 to ps3 via ethernet? Or should i be fine with that? Ill also look it up. Im sure i can find that information on the web. But thank you all for the help!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hectorlito View Post
    Thank you all very much. I guess my last question would be...i already have new data on this new hard drive. Will the data be deleted is i do ps3 to ps3 via ethernet? Or should i be fine with that? Ill also look it up. Im sure i can find that information on the web. But thank you all for the help!
    When you do a transfer from one PS3 to the other, the PS3 receiving the data will automatically format the hard drive before the transfer begins. It will let you know and you will need to press "accept" to continue the process.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    When you do a transfer from one PS3 to the other, the PS3 receiving the data will automatically format the hard drive before the transfer begins. It will let you know and you will need to press "accept" to continue the process.
    Will all the games will be transferred or just game saves? Iam having this problem as well and I didn't the correct answer yet. I have lots of downloaded games on my slim PS3 and I want to transfer all my games to my old PS3 as I don't want to redownload all the games again. I heard that the transferring operation will just transfer the game saves which I don't I need. I just want to my games to be transferred because I have around 400GB of games.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Thread Information