Latest PSU headlines:

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

Panasonic scaling back TV production, possibly getting out of plasma [The Verge]

Sad to see plasma Vieras going, but I guess someone else will fill the void. Seeing the best not proving profitable enough happens way to often.

Panasonic scaling back TV production, possibly getting out of plasma, reports Nikkei

Panasonic could be preparing an exit from the plasma TV market. According to Nikkei, the troubled company is mulling plans to greatly reduce its TV production over the next three years, possibly getting out of plasma altogether as early as 2014. Instead, it company reportedly plans to push into more profitable businesses like airplane systems, automotive parts, and enterprise products. Despite its shrinking market share relative to LCD, plasma is frequently championed by home theater enthusiasts for its deep blacks, wide viewing angles, vivid colors, and lack of motion blur.

NIKKEI SAYS THAT PANASONIC HAS ALREADY STOPPED INVESTING IN NEW PLASMA DEVELOPMENT

TV sales peaked for Panasonic in 2009, the same year it acquired Pioneer’s Kuro plasma TV technology. That year, TV revenues hit a trillion yen, or about $11.5 billion, but that figure is projected to fall to nearly half by 2015. The TV division also hasn't turned a profit in the past five quarters. But according to an unnamed executive, it’s important for Panasonic to protect its relationships with customers, so it’s planning to wind down plasma gradually over the next year rather than stop production immediately. It looks like the retreat has been planned for some time, as Nikkei says that the company has already stopped investing in new plasma development. Its plans to produce OLED TV panels with Sony are still going ahead, however.

According to a statement from Panasonic, the company is "considering several different strategies," but has not made any actual decisions. Nikkei reports that the plans will be unveiled in the company’s medium-term management plan, to be released on March 28th.
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/17/41...-out-of-plasma
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    A shame, really. The Viera series easily outperforms the competition so it's surprising to see it go.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    There has been talks about Panasonic getting out of Plasma's in 2014 on the AVS forums for a good while. The TV at my parents house (an old Philips LCD) needed to be replaced recently and I ended picking out a Panasonic Plasma. The Panasonic Viera TX-P50VT50 to be specific. It's absolutely fantastic. It's so good I'm going to have to buy one as well when I move out. I don't think I could be happy with any other TV when I've used the VT50.

When we got it I put Mad Men on Bluray on and my jaw dropped. And it still delights me to no end.
    Other opinions are available.

4. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I believe the japanese government is helping fund these Oled developments, so far I can only speak for the view finder on my SLR and 3D headset but it does look like the next step up.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    OLED and 4K are the future so Plasma was going away sometime i just didnt think it would be this soon.

Ultimate Veteran
    OLED is the future but it won't surpass Plasma in terms of picture quality per inch in 2014. At least not at a cost most people can afford.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    If they scale back they could stay in the plasma sector... But if they get out and i see it happening, they could save a $#@! load of money and the share holders would be extremely happy for scaling back and less risk to them

Last edited by claud3; 03-21-2013 at 12:29.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I just hope my V20 will last a couple more years and maybe by then there will be a worthy replacement.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Time will tell if this is a great move... But all seem to be following suit and scaling back on sectors that are either costing to much or not selling
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    They dropped the 1210s couple years ago as well, is this them struggling or just us not buying?

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    They dropped the 1210s couple years ago as well, is this them struggling or just us not buying?
    The TV market has shrunk. And not as many people prioritize buying a high-end Plasma when you can get a cheap (worse) one for much less.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    They need to push their LED technology, ironically meaning we could lose out on their superior plasma screens.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Bummer...i have had this panasonic viera for nearly 5 years now, and the picture still amazes me when watching eden hd etc. Good gaming tv too...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Five years.. Might be a good time to get a new one with renewed warranty?

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    will SONY do the same or will others... I can nott tell and i see a future with them just downing small things and small things only... A recession will do that

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    Five years.. Might be a good time to get a new one with renewed warranty?
    Looking at a smart tv at the moment. I have seen a lovely panasonic with a metal finish around the screen, with an extremely thin border...its so...beautiful...

This current viera will be going into the end of my bed...goin to be motorised to come up. A friend will do the work for a small(ish) fee..i couldn`t get rid of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using my $#@!in massive $#@!.
    Last edited by jj03; 03-22-2013 at 15:23.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    No real big deal Plasma was always the weaker format.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Forum Guru
    Unfortunate because I much prefer plasma over LCD.

...Tapatalking

Thread Information