Latest PSU headlines:

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    clear_as_night
    Items User name style

Glitches in games and thier ethics

Introduction

I have been playing The Simpsons: Tapped Out on my iOS device for the past 6 months. Anybody who has this game will know that it is a “freemium” game that is highly addictive and made by EA.
    Basically, you don’t pay for the game but use an in-game currency that you buy with real money. This is how EA make their money. It is the consensus that EA are draining money from players because of the sheer price of the add-on content. If you want to collect everything, you will probably need to fork out about £100 to £150 quid. This obviously increases as they add more content.

The situation

I recently stumbled across a glitch where you can get the content without spending real money. Bear in mind that I haven’t played with the game’s coding or changed the game in anyway, just found a loophole in the game. (Note that this is made by EA... who focus more on the $$$ rather than the actual game)

My Question

Considering that anybody could accidently perform this glitch and do the same, without any pre-meditated intention to get the content for free, is this EA’s fault for making a broken game? Or should I feel bad for doing this? I only really feel sorry for the people that have spent A LOT of real money on this game.

If you wish, regard as this an open question, applicable to any game and this sort of situation?

The Jim

PSN ID: clear_as_night
    "XBOX IS ABOUT TO BECOME THE NEXT WATER COOLER" ~ NANCY TELLEM, ENTERTAINMENT AND DIGITAL MEDIA PRESIDENT OF MICROSOFT

Supreme Veteran

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I am playing TAPPED OUT, so whats the glitch.... Glitches are a whole different cattle of fish and i can explore that and others can as well

On topic:

This game is awesome, but it has a **** load of problems in terms off updates and loading times and screen unresponsive

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    clear_as_night
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    I am playing TAPPED OUT, so whats the glitch.... Glitches are a whole different cattle of fish and i can explore that and others can as well

On topic:

This game is awesome, but it has a **** load of problems in terms off updates and loading times and screen unresponsive
    I will PM you with the details if you want to try it yourself but I'll leave it up to you, at your own risk.

But basically the currency system breaks down and you can purchase things for free. Sorry to hear you've had problems, I've been pretty lucky I think. No harp of death or crashing/ freezing what-so-ever.

PSN ID: clear_as_night
    "XBOX IS ABOUT TO BECOME THE NEXT WATER COOLER" ~ NANCY TELLEM, ENTERTAINMENT AND DIGITAL MEDIA PRESIDENT OF MICROSOFT

Supreme Veteran

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Cheers, it depends on the Android phone you have and what power it has

But onto the game... I love the comedy and i m so happy all past and new characters are in the game

Thread Information