Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast
    Forum Overseer

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    No. Both Xbox and Playstation fans dismissed him long ago. I refereed to the recent Xbox is gonna win next-gen thread and how everybody dismissed him in that thread..... yet many in here are willing to believe him this time around.

As for Microsoft has a history of trash talking? That's why I said the definition is flexible and a bit stretched here. When Gabe Newell raked Sony and the PS3 over the coals.....now THAT was straight trash talking! Microsoft and Sony have kept most of their comments about their own products and their minor swipes on each other never rose to the level of outright trashing.

To show you a perfect example of how the definition of trashing is stretched here.... when Major Nelson said about the PS4 reveal “Announce a console without actually showing a console? That's one approach.”.... THAT qualifies as trash talking?!? Many on here thought so. To say that was overstating his comments is an understatement itself. He was just as puzzled as many other people on here and in the press as to it's absence. Certainly the reasonable reaction considering you expect a console to be shown when the platform is being announced at a big private event put on by the manufacturer of it.

Grant it that the PS3 didn't get the boomerang controller or the extra USB/HDMI ports on the final product. But... at least it was shown at it's debut and the console otherwise ended up looking the same.
    Well what Nelson said was silly as what Sony did worked. You don't need the physical console when you can tell people how it almost exactly will be like.

It worked and Sony has created a storm. Nelson made a negative comment, not trash but certainly bitter.

Elite Member

As for Microsoft has a history of trash talking? That's why I said the definition is flexible and a bit stretched here. When Gabe Newell raked Sony and the PS3 over the coals.....now THAT was straight trash talking! Microsoft and Sony have kept most of their comments about their own products and their minor swipes on each other never rose to the level of outright trashing.
    I have to disagree with that.

Sony did some pretty hard core trashing of the Xbox 360 before the PS3 was launched. "Next gen doesn't start until we say it does" "Xbox 2.5" "PS3 would sell 5 million without any games" etc... Then later making statements like "the competition has to peddle add-ons to keep up with the Jones's" right before announcing their own add-on Move which was a blatant attempt to keep up with the Jones's themselves.

Sony has made some pretty ballsy trash talking claims in the past. Comically so in hindsight.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 03-19-2013 at 04:50.

3. Likes Omar likes this post
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post

Sony did some pretty hard core trashing of the Xbox 360 before the PS3 was launched. "Next gen doesn't start until we say it does" "Xbox 2.5" "PS3 would sell 5 million without any games" claiming "the competition has to peddle add-ons to keep up with the Jones's" right before announcing their own add-on Move, etc....

Sony has made some pretty ballsy trash talking claims in the past. Comically so in hindsight.
    And then they were humbled by how well the 360 did. They definitely didn't do any of that at the PS4 meeting. I hope this time around they just focus on the gamers and less on finding creative ways to trash talk the competition.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    And then they were humbled by how well the 360 did. They definitely didn't do any of that at the PS4 meeting. I hope this time around they just focus on the gamers and less on finding creative ways to trash talk the competition.
    That won't really end (the "trashing"). The only thing that will change or has changed is the tone in which they do it. I think the whole "get a 2nd job" type of trash is over.

As in, they just get more and more 'diplomatic' about it - company X "we;ve sold more than our competitors". And we are proud blah blah" - that type of jibbing. Which is probably more fathomable.
    Last edited by Admartian; 03-19-2013 at 04:54.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    How do you guys fight the good fight like everyday? :/. It's draining
    Thats pretty ironic coming from you.
    Edit- (oops just saw Lethals post. Thats all.)
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-19-2013 at 08:53.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    That won't really end (the "trashing"). The only thing that will change or has changed is the tone in which they do it. I think the whole "get a 2nd job" type of trash is over.

As in, they just get more and more 'diplomatic' about it - company X "we;ve sold more than our competitors". And we are proud blah blah" - that type of jibbing. Which is probably more fathomable.
    You're probably right. lol

I hope not... they need to show off a good system but considering I'm not a big fan of MS's recent focus on other media rather than games. I'm not beaming with hope for them..
    Hi~Hello~Rawr

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Microsoft need A-list stars! The PS3 event had none!

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Microsoft need A-list stars! The PS3 event had none!
    You mean the PS4 event... and a) that's a matter of opinion and b) there's still GDC and E3. The PS4 event was never meant to show everything off, it was just to strike first blood and create hype for the system... which is safe to say was a success.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow

To show you a perfect example of how the definition of trashing is stretched here.... when Major Nelson said about the PS4 reveal “Announce a console without actually showing a console? That's one approach.”.... THAT qualifies as trash talking?!? Many on here thought so. To say that was overstating his comments is an understatement itself. He was just as puzzled as many other people on here and in the press as to it's absence. Certainly the reasonable reaction considering you expect a console to be shown when the platform is being announced at a big private event put on by the manufacturer of it.
    Agreed. It was a legitimate concern and tbh the non showing of the actual console raised some doubts for me as well once I got over the initial hype of the show. Wouldnt be the first time Sony pulled a fast one like with the Killzone and Motorstorm footage for example. We really dont know for sure.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-19-2013 at 05:40.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Trash talking the competitor during interviews and for media propaganda is one thing that will have me pull out the popcorn. But when I watch an unveiling presentation, I want the company to show me what good THEIR CONSOLE can do, not spend their time trying to convince me the other company is crap... I will be the judge of that myself, thank you very much.

But this is Pachter we are talking about, he couldn't predict WWIII if a nuke dropped in his backyard!

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Agreed. It was a legitimate concern and tbh the non showing of the actual console raised some doubts for me as well once I got over the initial hype of the show. Wouldnt be the first time Sony pulled a fast one like with the Killzone and Motorstorm footage for example. We really dont know for sure.
    Um how does pre-rendered footage equal Sony not showing a shiny empty rectangular box but in the same vein announced almost everything the console can do. So let me pose this question to you and everyone that keeps making this trivial topic an issue, would you guys rather Sony have came out and showed the box but didn't talk about what's inside? I really don't see anything wrong with what they did but hey, it wouldn't be a gaming event of people didn't find something to $#@! about

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Well what Nelson said was silly as what Sony did worked. You don't need the physical console when you can tell people how it almost exactly will be like.

It worked and Sony has created a storm. Nelson made a negative comment, not trash but certainly bitter.
    Was Major Nelson's comments silly? Maybe. Certainly passive aggressive at the most. But bitter? Ha! That sounds more like projection on your part because I'd like to know what in that wording sounds bitter? I don't recall him saying anything remotely bad about the PS4. He simply said in a very diplomatic manner what the rest of the world was saying on the net.... how in the hell do you debut a console without showing us the hardware? What's the point? I can see them holding back some of the games for reveal later, but debuting a console with such huge fanfare should have a console to see.

It's like Apple or Samsung showing us games and feature demonstrations at the iPhone 5 or Galaxy 4 debuts without showing the actual hardware. I suppose they showed what matter most, but they would still both get crap from the public and press with good reason. If it's a reveal or debut, show the hardware. It's a very reasonable expectation.

It's not the end of the world by any stretch of the imagination. Yes the games are what matters most. But when everyone and their brother on the net including the press is going WTF?!?!? It certainly gave the issue merit and credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post

Sony did some pretty hard core trashing of the Xbox 360 before the PS3 was launched. "Next gen doesn't start until we say it does" "Xbox 2.5" "PS3 would sell 5 million without any games" etc... Then later making statements like "the competition has to peddle add-ons to keep up with the Jones's" right before announcing their own add-on Move which was a blatant attempt to keep up with the Jones's themselves.

Next-gen doesn't start until we say so....and the selling 5 million PS3s without games.... are simply arrogant statements. I certainly don't see them as trash talking Microsoft at all.

As for Xbox 2.5 and peddling add ons? Certainly those could be seen as borderline trashing. The Xbox 2.5 comment was in reference to lack of Blu-Ray in the 360. We saw how little it affected gaming on the 360 as the naysayers predicted. A couple extra discs on certain games...... quick... let's go hang ourselves over it.

Some would call it a fast one but I simply call it silly. The whole traditional point of a console debut is to show the hardware along with the games. Maybe some live demos too. Had the shoe been on the other foot and Microsoft pulled this, the same people defending Sony would be raking Microsoft over the coals. I wouldn't be giving Microsoft any less $#@! then I'm giving Sony. The concept would be dumb to me no matter what company did it with a new product of theirs.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Was Major Nelson's comments silly? Maybe. Certainly passive aggressive at the most. But bitter? Ha! That sounds more like projection on your part because I'd like to know what in that wording sounds bitter? I don't recall him saying anything remotely bad about the PS4. He simply said in a very diplomatic manner what the rest of the world was saying on the net.... how in the hell do you debut a console without showing us the hardware?What's the point? I can see them holding back some of the games for reveal later, but debuting a console with such huge fanfare should have a console to see.

It's like Apple or Samsung showing us games and feature demonstrations at the iPhone 5 or Galaxy 4 debuts without showing the actual hardware. I suppose they showed what matter most, but they would still both get crap from the public and press with good reason. If it's a reveal or debut, show the hardware.

Some would call it a fast one but I simply call it silly. The whole traditional point of a console debut is to show the hardware along with the games. Maybe some live demos too. Had the shoe been on the other foot and Microsoft pulled this, the same people defending Sony would be raking Microsoft over the coals. I wouldn't be giving Microsoft any less $#@! then I'm giving Sony. The concept would be dumb to me no matter what company did it with a new product of theirs.
    Agreed.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Um how does pre-rendered footage equal Sony not showing a shiny empty rectangular box but in the same vein announced almost everything the console can do. So let me pose this question to you and everyone that keeps making this trivial topic an issue, would you guys rather Sony have came out and showed the box but didn't talk about what's inside? I really don't see anything wrong with what they did but hey, it wouldn't be a gaming event of people didn't find something to $#@! about
    Why couldnt Sony do both? If youre going to hold a major presentation/reveal with the press in attendance then why not reveal the console itself as well? Doesnt make sense. Unless the games like Killzone were being played on a similar spec PC and not an actual PS4.

Administrator
    Why couldnt Sony do both? If youre going to hold a major presentation/reveal with the press in attendance then why not reveal the console itself as well? Doesnt make sense. Unless the games like Killzone were being played on a similar spec PC and not an actual PS4.
    This has already been cleared up by Sony. Sony said the console simply isn't ready. Everything that was shown on stage was, in fact, just a similarly spec'd PC and not the actual PS4.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Good grief @ this thread.

19. Likes Cyn likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    This has already been cleared up by Sony. Sony said the console simply isn't ready. Everything that was shown on stage was, in fact, just a similarly spec'd PC and not the actual PS4.
    Ok I was right then. No worries. I didnt realize that Sony actually came out and said that. Thanks for that info.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-19-2013 at 08:57.

Administrator
    Ok I was right then. No worries.
    Yes indeedy. We'll see it soon...

Forum Sage

Meh. Build me the games and I will come. I'm not gonna listen or take heed of any trash talk slung either way and will be focused on the games themselves. Like I said last year, both companies are going to have to prove their worth before I buy anything from them again. There will be NO BLANK CHECKS issued of any kind for any reason. It's time to deliver and I'm sure most on here can agree with me to one extent or another.

Last edited by Ezekiel; 03-19-2013 at 09:30.

Banned

Actually...correction....wasn't the term Xbox 1.5 and not 2.5? I think so. Makes far more sense.

Administrator
    Actually...correction....wasn't the term Xbox 1.5 and not 2.5? I think so. Makes far more sense.
    Yes, Kutaragi said Xbox 1.5, not 2.5.

Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    No surprise here all competitors do this to each other.. Sony are no angels in this category they have done this to Nintendo.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Ultimate Veteran

Because this thread isn't long enough.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post

Because this thread isn't long enough.
    You just went there.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 03-19-2013 at 21:50.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Thread Information