Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation

PS4 up against competition from mobile - Samsung Galaxy S4?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaud...laystation-4/?

"Like many newer mobile gaming devices, including the upcoming NVIDIA Project SHIELD featuring Tegra 4 technology, the Galaxy S4 also connects to your big HD TV. Thatís where Sonyís PlayStation 4 (and the unannounced new Xbox console) come into play as competition. The rate at which developers are pushing mobile games (and if you havenít been playing them, check out titles like Epic Gamesí Infinity Blade 2 and Phosphor Gamesí Horn), the window is narrowing between consoles and portable. And it wonít be very long that current gen and mobile are even (likely this year given the Tegra 4 game demos)."

Hmmm. I don't think mobiles are ever going to compete with core game's consoles. The only game I play on my mobile is Candy Crush. Mobile is for casual gaming. The core games are $#@!e on them, though hooking them up to a big TV? What do you think?
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    That would fall in with the handle market and not the console market in my opinion... Unless their will be a direct connection from mobile to console

Which i do not see happening... So i see it a false argument in sayin it is a direct threat to the gaming console
    Last edited by claud3; 03-18-2013 at 14:55.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

3. Likes Admartian , StevenW likes this post
    Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    No great big surprise really. Mobile gaming as a whole will eat into console gaming...with games such as real gaming, and its freemium model...my 12 year old stepbro, who has the whole lot of current gaming machines, uses mostly his ipad mini, rather than his 360, ps3, wii u. It use to be the other round. Hardware of tablets, phones are really making strides toward consoles quality games...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    lol, nice joke.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Another stab in the chest of the PSVita, yes, but not really relevant to the PS4 in my opinion.

Sexy...

Ultimate Veteran
    consoles are phones are driffrent markets. i dont think the typical Galaxy S4 owner will hook his phone up to a tv lol

8. Likes Coconut_Crunch likes this post
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Hahahahaha!!

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Mobile just isn't competing against consoles. Handhelds sure, not consoles.

Samsung should make a console, make things a little more interesting

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    barit
    "real" gamers donīt play mobile games *sigh* j/k
    Last edited by bariton1; 03-18-2013 at 23:03.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Sorry Samsung (and Apple for that matter) - but these things aren't really competition. These are just complimentary gaming devices. Not primary (for those that are going to get a PS4/NextBox).

Talk about delusional.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    The fact that I chose my console over my phone or PSP should tell you enough that they aren't in competition. I'd take chilling on a sofa playing on a big screen anyday over a tiny little screen which just turns me off completely.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    If it is in your hand and not on the floor it is a handle, if it is on the floor and not in your hand it is a console

If it is APPLE or SAMSUNG then burn it and send it to HELL

On topic:

This is really a pointless article for anyone to actually believe, Mobile gaming will always fall within HANDLE competition, nothing else and nothing more
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Ancient
    its april next month ain't it?
    lol at infinity blade 2, wanna know the console version? Dark Souls
    smart phone gaming aint' even close
    what I do find funny is people always bring game consoles into it, yet ignor its the laptop they don't see people taking to work or out with them anymore
    its PC's people don't boot up because there iPad or Smartphone can do whatever needs doing like, facebook, online shopping etc
    but people still boot up there 360/PS3 thats hooked up to their 50" to play COD or BF3 or the latest triple A title
    Last edited by TGO; 03-19-2013 at 01:36.

"Xbox is about to become the next water coolerĒ

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    its april next month ain't it?
    lol at infinity blade 2, wanna know the console version? Dark Souls
    smart phone gaming aint' even close
    what I do find funny is people always bring game consoles into it, yet ignor its the laptop they don't see people taking to work or out with them anymore
    its PC's people don't boot up because there iPad or Smartphone can do whatever needs doing like, facebook, online shopping etc
    but people still boot up there 360/PS3 thats hooked up to their 50" to play COD or BF3 or the latest triple A title
    I think it's curious for any company to bring up handhelds/tablet gaming and say that traditional 360/PS3 etc gaming is dead or is on the decline already.

I just see it as wishful thinking tbh.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Oh man. More doom and gloom for consoles due to mobile gaming. Consoles are not in jeopardy atm just handhelds. I wish people would give this a rest. Until we start seeing epic games like Uncharted, KZ, GT4 on mobile gaming devices IE smart phones and tablets, then consoles might be in trouble. Now is not that time. They will always lag behind the curve just like consoles do with PCs. Until they can get the power out of these devices that comes close to consoles then it won't happen. Once the next gen starts it's going to show just how much of a "threat" mobile gaming is.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Oh man. More doom and gloom for consoles due to mobile gaming. Consoles are not in jeopardy atm just handhelds. I wish people would give this a rest. Until we start seeing epic games like Uncharted, KZ, GT4 on mobile gaming devices IE smart phones and tablets, then consoles might be in trouble. Now is not that time. They will always lag behind the curve just like consoles do with PCs. Until they can get the power out of these devices that comes close to consoles then it won't happen. Once the next gen starts it's going to show just how much of a "threat" mobile gaming is.
    I'm sure we will at some point. Though I don't see that as any indication of the death or decline of console gaming. It would just be harmless spinoffs.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I'm sure we will at some point. Though I don't see that as any indication of the death or decline of console gaming. It would just be harmless spinoffs.
    Oh it will happen at some point but I think that is a good bit away. At least 2-3 years then the PS4 and Nextbox will be hitting full stride at that point. Mobile gaming just doesn't have the major studio support to kill off consoles. They only thing that can honestly kill of consoles is the company making them imo.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Oh it will happen at some point but I think that is a good bit away. At least 2-3 years then the PS4 and Nextbox will be hitting full stride at that point. Mobile gaming just doesn't have the major studio support to kill off consoles. They only thing that can honestly kill of consoles is the company making them imo.
    This.

I would want both companies to eventually form and co-lab together if the industry itself was ever in doubt. At least if the 'core' industry were to be threatened (Nintendo will always be Nintendo so no need to worry about them). As long as prices and services stay fair, then I'll be good with that.

Though that is a rather utopic view of it.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    This.

I would want both companies to eventually form and co-lab together if the industry itself was ever in doubt. At least if the 'core' industry were to be threatened (Nintendo will always be Nintendo so no need to worry about them). As long as prices and services stay fair, then I'll be good with that.

Though that is a rather utopic view of it.
    Exactly! If it ever come down to it and the market was threatened. I would like to see Sony and MS form a long term contract stating both of their stipulation for a merger and make one bad ass console. Using great tech that both companies have come up with and are testing. I know it is hard to see that right now because the future looks very good but I think sadly that day will come.

I'm sure MS would have no problem adding on Sony's console division into their's. Problem is it would probably turn into a power play by MS and just wait them out until Sony would cave to terms more along their lines. Hey it's business it happens. But that is a conversation for hopefully another day wayyyyyy down the road.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Exactly! If it ever come down to it and the market was threatened. I would like to see Sony and MS form a long term contract stating both of their stipulation for a merger and make one bad ass console. Using great tech that both companies have come up with and are testing. I know it is hard to see that right now because the future looks very good but I think sadly that day will come.

I'm sure MS would have no problem adding on Sony's console division into their's. Problem is it would probably turn into a power play by MS and just wait them out until Sony would cave to terms more along their lines. Hey it's business it happens. But that is a conversation for hopefully another day wayyyyyy down the road.
    If that happens, I don't know that it'll be a straight up merger. Probably more like the way Sony Ericsson worked out (well not so well in the end but you know what I mean ).

I don't think that either have to sell its games divisions, just have them operating together.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    the future is certain and it is clear as day... MOBILES will become advanced and consoles will as well

But the most clear of all, is that consoles have more process power. But for every advancement in MOBILES the console will always have the upper hand and ability to push the limits and mobiles will need something special to be direct competition

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    If that happens, I don't know that it'll be a straight up merger. Probably more like the way Sony Ericsson worked out (well not so well in the end but you know what I mean ).

I don't think that either have to sell its games divisions, just have them operating together.
    Yeah it's something I really don't want to think about right now. Too much doom and gloom for me.

Selected Members Council
    I've never understood why a smartphone would threaten a dedicated gaming handheld or console. It seems silly to me.

When people go out to buy a new phone, do their friends try and convince them that they should pick up a PlayStation or Xbox? If someone goes out to buy a PlayStation or Xbox, do their friends try and convince them that they should pick up an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy?
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

26. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I've never understood why a smartphone would threaten a dedicated gaming handheld or console.

When people go out to buy a new phone, do their friends try and convince them that they should pick up a PlayStation or Xbox? If someone goes out to buy a PlayStation or Xbox, do their friends try and convince them that they should pick up an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy?
    Lol. So true when you put it like that.

Veteran
    No. I love my Galaxy S3, but it's a pain in the ass to game on. I won't even bother with touchscreen controls on games that aren't explicitly designed for them (Angry Birds is designed for them, Secret of Mana, for instance, is not) I'd much rather use my PS3 or even PSP to play games (PSP is my emulation machine of choice)
    Last edited by bobtheduck; 03-20-2013 at 00:25.

Thread Information