Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LadyDuoMaxwell
    Items Yuna3d dot game heroesFinal Fantasy Tactics

Preventing childhood obesity

I don't have any children yet, but planning to in the future. However, it's no secret that children are getting overweight these days. Therefore, I am asking for advice that what to do to prevent this happening to my kids. Such as what foods to make, what kind of exercises you advise, etc.

3DS: 1161-0781-8406
    STEAM: LadyDuoMaxwell

reaper of souls
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i'd just give them a balanced diet, make sure they get their fruits and veg, and don't give them too many sweets or choccies as they grow

3. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Balanced diet and keep them healthy by going out on walks and get them into sports and also join in with all activities they do... This will help them develop a healthy living and you will become healthy to

You are the perfect remodel for your kids to be and they will follow in your foot steps, if you be active too

And congrats on trying to a baby
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

reaper of souls
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    You are the perfect remodel for your kids to be and they will follow in your foot steps, if you be active too
    i agree, the fact that you want them to grow up to be healthy is most of the battle won

6. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDuoMaxwell View Post
    I don't have any children yet, but planning to in the future. However, it's no secret that children are getting overweight these days. Therefore, I am asking for advice that what to do to prevent this happening to my kids. Such as what foods to make, what kind of exercises you advise, etc.
    Just steer clear from fast foods and processed foods as much as you can, just keep them active (which is pretty natural for kids)! Although there is also genetics in play as well, I can eat like it's going out of style and barely put on any weight and my cholesterol levels are perfect, but I know people who eat way healthier than I and put on weight and have horrible cholesterol, so you have to take that into account as well.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    i agree, the fact that you want them to grow up to be healthy is most of the battle won
    So true... They follow by example and if you are active and healthy and eat the right foods and do the right thing, kids copy their parents
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

9. Likes Sylar likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    You'll surely get better advice from someone with kids but I'd vote for quality cooking. Meaning nutritious ingredients, tasty food, try avoiding highly processed foods and ready made frozen meals.

Physical activity that matches their interests, though interests change and so must activities.

That's my two cents.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Follow MyPyramid and make sure you children don't become couch potatoes.
    Currently Playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire for the Nintendo 3DS

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Climbing trees
    riding bikes everywhere
    playing football (yawn) cricket, tennis, badminton, basketball, USA style football.
    rowing I had n inflatable rubber boat thing I used on the canal
    Thats what I did and I was a skinny tin ribs.

I did play video games but only from about 10 years old.
    Last edited by keefy; 03-19-2013 at 04:54.

Administrator
    Kids ultimately mimic the way their parents eat. You need to really limit their intake of sugar and other garbage. You also can't use junk food as a reward for finishing something they hate. They need to enjoy healthy food and if you feed them healthy food all the time they WILL enjoy it. If you feed them junk every single day they're just going to want to eat junk. Junk tastes good. Dessert should just be a bonus, not a reason to just finish eating whatever it is to get to the "good stuff" because then it becomes addicting. You need to eat healthy... not just your kids... so if you eat like crap... eventually your kids will too. You need to be the example in their lives. So if you need to change the way you eat... then so be it. If you want to eat crap, do it somewhere else they can't see, at the very least.

They also should be reasonably active... as all kids should be. Cooped up in the house all day watching TV or playing video games is not active. That should be limited as much as is reasonable.

Also, don't be afraid to tell your kids the truth about food and nutrition and whatnot. Kids are not idiots... they are extremely intelligent... way more than adults give them credit for.

My brother is raising his kids right now this way. They are 3 and 5 years old. He tells them all about food and my nephews are always flexing their muscles and saying "this [insert healthy food here] makes me strong!" And he'll look at some junk food and say things like "you have trans fat... and you're bad for me!" It's both cute and accurate.

I would highly recommend trying to find a few books on child nutrition... because nutrition is especially important in the development of a child... especially their brain. You need to make sure they are getting the best nutrition they can so they can grow as nature intended them.

Also be aware that YOUR health also has a dramatic effect on the child you're going to have. If you plan on having a kid or a few kids... get in shape... stop drinking if you drink... stop smoking if you smoke... for the love of god stop doing drugs if you do so... it can have adverse negative effects if you don't stop. So get in shape before you have kids. Also realize it is not strictly the woman or the man's state of health that has an effect on the child. Both the man and woman need to get in shape and quit unhealthy habits if they plan on having kids. If a guy smokes it can effect his sperm count... which can reduce the chance of having a baby... and drinking and smoking can negatively effect the sperm... which can cause birth defects. Before... during... and after pregnancy are very crucial times for the baby and the mother. During for obvious reasons... after because the woman loses a lot of nutrients and whatnot after childbirth... and then the development of the child itself and that child's need for nutrition.

Breastfeeding is of the utmost importance as well. Do not feed a baby formula when it's born. A mother's milk is genetically designed to have the optimal nutrition for that baby. Formula cannot mimc mother's milk. If it hurts to breastfeed then getting one of those little gadgets that lets you milk into a bottle so that it can be fed to them later is a good idea. Staying healthy is also important so that the breast milk is clean and healthy for the baby.

Anyway... a book would be much more informative... and contain a lot more pertinent information... but as you can see... the importance of mommy and daddy being healthy is just as important as the baby's health. The first 10 years of a child's life are crucial for loving, caring, teaching, learning, absorbing the world around them, etc. etc. etc. It's something that requires a lot of thinking, soul-searching, and planning before it happens.

But once you have a kid, there are no books on earth that will prepare you for what it's actually like to be a parent. You just gotta do the best you can and be the best parent you can be. Good luck to you.
    Last edited by Brandon; 03-19-2013 at 05:23.

Elite Member
    This is very easy, just move to a 3rd world country until ur kids is 18 years old then move back.

I have been selling ppl this advice for years and will stand by it. Money back guarantee!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by reasonable_doubt View Post
    This is very easy, just move to a 3rd world country until ur kids is 18 years old then move back.

I have been selling ppl this advice for years and will stand by it. Money back guarantee!
    I would rather a child be over-nourished than malnourished...

Dedicated Member
    Items Scarlett Johansson
    LOL on asking a bunch of gamers on health advice

Serious note: Make your children go outside and do something, even if they hate it. And if you join them...you reap the benefits as well.
    FLASHIN ON YOU

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kflashin View Post
    LOL on asking a bunch of gamers on health advice
    Although I do agree this is not the best place for advice, some of us "gamers" are health professionals or parents. Obviously the OP is going to seek professional advice on the matter (I hope)... but it's not the worst place to seek advice. I'd imagine a pro-abortion forum would be worse.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    1 - Ban Sodas and other sugary drinks in your household.
    2 - Make sure they are active like playing outside, riding a bike, playing a sport, etc.
    3 - Stay away from fast food and processed foods.

Make sure you teach them healthy lifestyles and how important health is. (This should be treated equally important as learning their ABC's and 123's)
    Last edited by HellsJester; 03-19-2013 at 06:37.

Thread Information