Latest PSU headlines:

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover

PS+ free Vita games not playable offline?

I tried playing my free copy of "Gravity Rush" today while getting my car's oil changed, but the game wouldn't load because I was offline (no wi-fi). Am I just doing something wrong with the settings, or does this happen with all PS+ free games?

Shut up and play games

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    I've played Lumines offline that I downloaded off the store mate. Can't say ive come across your problem. Although I didn't try Gravity Rush offline, that maybe different?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I do not think you can play the free games you get from PS+ without some sort of network connection. People can change the time on their Vita and when you are connected to the network, the system will always know that actual date and time so you can not cheat the system. This is so Sony can make sure people renew their subscription.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I do not think you can play the free games you get from PS+ without some sort of network connection. People can change the time on their Vita and when you are connected to the network, the system will always know that actual date and time so you can not cheat the system. This is so Sony can make sure people renew their subscription.
    So EA v2 then?

(For people that actually believe this - it's not the same thing - you didn't outright pay for the game itself. It's contingent on the subscription being active, and one of the provisions made to ensure that the subscription is indeed active is an active internet connection.)

5. Likes John25 likes this post
    Apprentice
    Items VitaPS3 Slim
    I swore I've played Uncharted on Campus between classes...

Forum Guru
    I've played lumines at work on lunch that I got off PS+ and there is no internet there

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    Well, I'd rather spend the $50 on a physical copy of "Gravity Rush" that I can play anywhere, instead of on a PS+ subscription that gives me free games with a wi-fi requirement.

Shut up and play games

9. Likes IAmBlutoo likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    akhi216
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinoqs View Post
    I tried playing my free copy of "Gravity Rush" today while getting my car's oil changed, but the game wouldn't load because I was offline (no wi-fi). Am I just doing something wrong with the settings, or does this happen with all PS+ free games?
    You only need to have wifi active the first time you start the game. After you get past the initial authentication check you should not have to worry about anything. If you've already played it and it's asking for a wifi connection then you should call Sony.

11. Likes Peter von Frosta likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Makes sense now as I always play to check the download was successful after an install so all would have been authenticated then.

Supreme Veteran

Thumbs down

this sucks if true... I have never downloaded any games from PS+, i prefer my games i have

I will pass on this then

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Someone needs to confirm what this guy says, not that I dont believe just it will stop people coming into this thread to bash PS+ (Dont got a vita, but even with this "flaw" it would be still be worth it for what you get.)

Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post
    You only need to have wifi active the first time you start the game. After you get past the initial authentication check you should not have to worry about anything. If you've already played it and it's asking for a wifi connection then you should call Sony.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Someone needs to confirm what this guy says, not that I dont believe just it will stop people coming into this thread to bash PS+ (Dont got a vita, but even with this "flaw" it would be still be worth it for what you get.)
    People can bash PS+ if they want. It will not change how awesome the service is. The games are not yours to keep, you are merely renting them until your service is up.

You CAN play free games from PS Plus offline, I do it all the time. If you go to the properties on a games bubble it will tell you how many days you have left to play it, which I believe corresponds to your expiration date on your PS Plus Subscription.

Ive never seen that. All PS+ Games Ive tried play offline

Elite Guru
    I'll happily bash PS+ but only when it's deserved which does happen. It works fine for some people but it's not cost effective for everyone.

As for the game there's likely a period that keeps the game running offline. Obviously the game has to know when to deactivate assuming your subscription is eventually going to end. Where would like be something that requires you to log in every few days before it locks up because tagging every game with your subscription date would be inefficient, additionally a log in requirement puts you inline to get updates and increases the chance you'll pick up more content when you access the network.

But then again I recall being locked out of a game on my PSP that used content that needed to be authenticated because I logged into my japanese account to play a demo I'd downloaded only to be incapable of switching accounts later because I was out of wifi range. So it's very possible that it's simple not going to let you use the game if you signed out in a previous session and need a connection to sign back in and prove you have permission.

In the end though, I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of explanation in the PS+ EULA that tells you how it handles authentication.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Kingstoph
    Items Vita
    Ive played Wipeout on the bus without Wifi, it was probably for authentication or something like someone else said above me. No need to skip out an awesome sevice like this just coz it wants to autheitcate your new games :-p
    There once was a man named Sidney, he used to collect shells on the beach. everything was going well for him. untill he stopped and took a look, he had a glance and a stare and realised he what he was reading.
    It was a forum signature full of nonsense

I can confirm you don't need a network connection to play PS plus games. I played both Mortal Kombat and Gravity rush while I was offline. Hell even in the plane in plane mode!

PSN ID
    InfinitiKnights
    V.odd. Whilst the general thought is that it only needs internet on startup, I have never needed to. For instance, I downloaded VLR off of PS+ and as soon as it downloaded I had to go somewhere. I took it with me and I booted up the game a good 5 mins away from home, with no internet connection at all, yet it gave me the all clear. My vita is a rebel XD

Thread Information