Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Game servers shut down, how do you get the trophies?

This is just something I was thinking about. Lets say you buy an old game and the servers are shut down. How would you get the online trophies required for a platinum? I think the developers should put out a patch that gives you all the multiplayer trophies if they shut down servers.

Again, I am just thinking out loud.

2. Likes Thorzilla wishes they had posted this first.
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    You can't, I'll have an incomplete trophy list for MotorStorm Pacific Rift on my account forever. But I think they should release a patch yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    You can't, I'll have an incomplete trophy list for MotorStorm Pacific Rift on my account forever. But I think they should release a patch yeah.
    Stuff like that is not fair to the gamer who wants to get the trophies. Devs should not have any online trophies in their games.

5. Likes Admartian , John25 wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Online Trophies are the stupidest idea ever ,Games should not have any online trophies period or at least any that affect the chances of The Plat Trophy as it's unfair if you don't play online or if the servers have been taken offline Devs should Patch any games that have no more servers for them.

7. Likes Admartian , AaronSOLDIER wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    This is just something I was thinking about. Lets say you buy an old game and the servers are shut down. How would you get the online trophies required for a platinum? I think the developers should put out a patch that gives you all the multiplayer trophies if they shut down servers.

Again, I am just thinking out loud.
    I've said this in many official forums for years with no answer. If anything, it actually turns possible buyers and trophy whores down.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

9. Likes AaronSOLDIER wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Comes across this afew times unfortunately
    Quite afew of the FIFAs have shut down. Didn't even know motorstorm had and only just recently bought that to clear afew trophies up.

Currently working on battlefield 3 platinum and the last trophy I need for that is complete all online co op missions on hard which is a nightmare!

I don't mind afew online trophies as a taster to see if you like the MP but some take the piss. When online servers shutdown a patch to remove the online trophies for the platinum would definitely not go a miss for me.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    It is why I think online trophies should NEVER count towards a platinum of a game. I usually find online trophies are just there as a magic act to get you invest more time into game for platinum.
    Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/gameryuichi I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Apprentice
    Items VitaPS3 Slim
    Giving them away for free would screw over the true fans who earned them. They should just remove them from accounts that didn't earn them yet.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by EatSleepAndPlay View Post
    Giving them away for free would screw over the true fans who earned them. They should just remove them from accounts that didn't earn them yet.
    I see your point, but it'd be too much work. I say give it to the players with a patch but not let them count towards level progression in your profile.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    You can't and therefore are screwed if you are hunting trophies. It pisses me off when they put online trophies in. Eventually you are going to lose out on an integrated part of the game because the servers get shut down. If you have a mostly online game, it's fine. But games like Uncharted, Tomb Raider, AC, just to name a few shouldn't have online trophies. We all know what the primary purpose of the game is, SP.

I know they put them in there to get people like myself, trophy whores, to play it but it's just annoying. Main reason why I don't have more platinums than I do.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I really do not care about trophies.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Nether do I.

But really what do you expect? Not every multiplayer game lasts forever which is why I'm a single player guy and hate all this always online stuff, it's too hard to say when certain mp modes won't be available.

But yeah, MP trophies should probably either not exist or be part of a second batch like they do with DLC

Via Tapatalk
    Last edited by DarkVincent07; 03-21-2013 at 22:56.

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Stuff like that is not fair to the gamer who wants to get the trophies. Devs should not have any online trophies in their games.
    I share the same sentiment. AT THE VERY LEAST they should have it NOT​ count towards the Plat.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I do, a lot!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    They should separate them, "Offline" and "Online", in my opinion.

I think Sleeping Dogs has a solid trophy/achievement list. Sure, I had to purchase some DLC but I was able to get all 59 of them without playing online.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraGaz View Post
    Didn't even know motorstorm had and only just recently bought that to clear afew trophies up.
    Well, there is a way to get around that by using someones save and using a certain program that you can get online. But you actually have to buy the program and getting those saves is not exactly easy. I don't know what its called or how it works but I know a friend of mine that used it. Unfortunately it only works on some games.

Currently working on battlefield 3 platinum and the last trophy I need for that is complete all online co op missions on hard which is a nightmare!
    Really? They are not that hard. Now granted, the very first one and the one where you start in a Hummer can be somewhat difficult, but all you have to do it take it slow, and learn where the enemies are going to come from.
    The hardest one for me was the one where you have to fly a chopper. It was almost impossible for me to fly and get kills at the same time so I was very lucky to get 3, while my gunner killed everything else.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    This is why devs need to adopt Mass Effect 3s way of doing trophies. Online trophies can be gotten in single player, that shit is genius!

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    It is why I think online trophies should NEVER count towards a platinum of a game. I usually find online trophies are just there as a magic act to get you invest more time into game for platinum.
    That's what all trophies are. I agree, however, that online awards should not be included in trophy lists leading towards platinum. I'm sure the inclusion of online awards was due to Sony's influence, and wanting their online service to seem as populated as that enjoyed by the 360. I don't have internet at my place and will never platinum Uncharted 2, Infamous 2, or Pacific Rift for this reason.

It doesn't bother me that much, but for those who enjoy pursuing platinum I agree this is an issue that should be addressed. They could possibly make it so that trophies have two elite trophies: Platinum (for single-player achievements) and Diamond (online achievements). I'm sure a lot of players would like to show off their being more dominantly an online or offline player.

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    Really? They are not that hard. Now granted, the very first one and the one where you start in a Hummer can be somewhat difficult, but all you have to do it take it slow, and learn where the enemies are going to come from.
    The hardest one for me was the one where you have to fly a chopper. It was almost impossible for me to fly and get kills at the same time so I was very lucky to get 3, while my gunner killed everything else.
    Sorry wasn't that clear, it's not the difficulty that's the problem. It's getting paired with someone who doesn't quit/communicates and isn't running and gunning as that gets you nowhere on the difficulty compared to first time round on easy.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    Well, there is a way to get around that by using someones save and using a certain program that you can get online. But you actually have to buy the program and getting those saves is not exactly easy. I don't know what its called or how it works but I know a friend of mine that used it. Unfortunately it only works on some games.
    Thats interesting, you sure you don't need to have a modded PS3?
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Superior Member
    This is where Live's peer-to-peer is good. Except for EA, almost all games are peer-to-peer which means as long as there are players playing the game you can still play.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I do, a lot!
    Same here! You can notice us trophy whores by our sigs.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    As long as it is peer-to-peer or has alternate methods like in Mass Effect, I begrudgingly accept them. But for games where the servers will be or can be shut down, it is a kick in the teeth to platinum hunters or completionists. That is why I'm a trophy hunter and not a platinum hunter.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    As long as it is peer-to-peer or has alternate methods like in Mass Effect, I begrudgingly accept them. But for games where the servers will be or can be shut down, it is a kick in the teeth to platinum hunters or completionists. That is why I'm a trophy hunter and not a platinum hunter.
    Indeed, I started out wanting to be a platinum hunter.. but I soon realized online trophies sucked ass, and now im trying to kick my habit of delaying games due to some trophies being a pain to get.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Apprentice
    I have no clue but if the game is old enough and they shut the servers down, I doubt the game was in high demand anyway. For people that want trophies I think if they pull the servers they should have a patch, that much I agree with. but with such old games I doubt even right now people are buying games like Bad Company 1
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Thread Information