Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    Supreme Veteran
    claud3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Agartha
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Age
    30
    Posts
    17,608
    Rep Power
    125
    Points
    224 (0 Banked)
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    PS4 doesn’t have custom chips due to developer focused design

    Sony’s Michael Denny has explained the reason why the company did not go with custom chips like the Cell processor. It’s a known fact that the processor was difficult for a lot of developers to get the hang of and plenty of them complained that it was a lot of work for them to offload GPU tasks on the SPUs.“I think the main reason behind it is that’s what the development

    community wanted,” he told
    OPM. “That’s what the development community want in terms of ease of development and making the best games they possibly can.”
    “What we bring to the table as Mark was explaining last night was how we architect the system, to make it almost like a supercharged PC specifically for gaming. This is a multitasking system like most PCs are, but this is a still a console made for gaming with gaming at its heart.”He also

    revealed that the high speed GDDR5 memory which is also something that’s not common on desktop PCs was a developer focused decision.
    “Making decisions like having the 8GB high speed system memory on board is just a massive win for developers in terms of the sort of games they can create and

    the ease of game development.”
    The PS4 has a PC-based architecture and when you combine in the fast unified memory, the system becomes a completely different prospect than the PS3 for the developers. It will be released during the holiday season this year.
    http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-doesnt-hav...focused-design
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

  2. #2
    Apprentice
    Coconut_Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    359
    Rep Power
    13
    Points
    4,591 (0 Banked)
    See this, it's Sony doing their homework and important research. This is what you get when you study and ask questions, Sony is very lucky to have a guy like Mark Cerny and the developers are lucky also.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

    http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

  3. Likes Cyklops, mini E likes this post
  4. #3
    Super Moderator
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    26
    Posts
    13,547
    Rep Power
    141
    Points
    78,173 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Kind of already knew this but hey.




    Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

  5. #4
    Ultimate Veteran
    coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    long island ny
    Age
    38
    Posts
    20,863
    Rep Power
    110
    Points
    28,188 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It was smart that sony went with an x86 cpu it will save them money and developers will be happy i think if the ps3 x86 chip things would be better

  6. #5
    Administrator
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,095
    Rep Power
    125
    Points
    117,002 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    In other news, water is wet.

    I'm glad Sony is actually listening to devs now, though.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

  7. Likes PS4freak likes this post
  8. #6
    Forum Guru
    Insanehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,685
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    9,238 (0 Banked)
    Hopefully the start of seeing smaller developers producing one of those unique and daring games that would otherwise be ignored by big publisher (Echo Night, Miasmata, etc) which is sorely lacking in PS3.

  9. #7
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,871
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    20,473 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    See this, it's Sony doing their homework and important research. This is what you get when you study and ask questions, Sony is very lucky to have a guy like Mark Cerny and the developers are lucky also.
    This is Sony wanting to be number 1 and they might honestly get it.

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  10. #8
    Superior Member
    Old Man Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    834
    Rep Power
    21
    Points
    7,477 (0 Banked)
    K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple Sony. This is what MS did with the 360 (although I assume that it was to keep it cheap, not a result of listening to devs) and it worked.
    Last edited by Old Man Gamer; 03-29-2013 at 02:26.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

  11. #9
    Apprentice
    Coconut_Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    359
    Rep Power
    13
    Points
    4,591 (0 Banked)
    Sony had an easy to develop for system which was their first console and that was the PS1. They are no strangers to easy to develop for, I kind of think they got carried away with all that high tech stuff. High tech doesn't not really keep up with PC's and the PS3 wasn't able to keep up within the first year. I think the lower cost RAM is the cause of us seeing more performance. Even if the graphics are a little jump but the performance is a bigger leap, I will be happy.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

    http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

  12. #10
    Dedicated Member
    Syphon_Filter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada, Toronto
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,315
    Rep Power
    60
    Points
    6,189 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    So, what will happen to Sony cell CPU that they have? Why they didn't upgraded it or making it better?


    CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

  13. #11
    Apprentice
    Coconut_Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    359
    Rep Power
    13
    Points
    4,591 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon_Filter View Post
    So, what will happen to Sony cell CPU that they have? Why they didn't upgraded it or making it better?

    it will just go down with the PS3 once the PS4 hits. I'm sure with companies like Blizzard, they will makes games for both the PS4 and PS3 with the PS4 launch, after that they will stop making games for the PS3 and concentrate on the PS4. The developers out there do not like the Cell, they hate it in fact. You can even tell that the studios that Sony owns also don't like it, they are more excited for the PS4. I think IBM $#@!ed over Sony in a way in terms of ease of development and stuff. Who designed the chip, was it IBM and Toshiba with Sony funding it?
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

    http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

  14. #12
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,871
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    20,473 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Even easy hardware these days is powerful and looks good, the need for specialty hardware is not really required.

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  15. #13
    Administrator
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,095
    Rep Power
    125
    Points
    117,002 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    it will just go down with the PS3 once the PS4 hits. I'm sure with companies like Blizzard, they will makes games for both the PS4 and PS3 with the PS4 launch, after that they will stop making games for the PS3 and concentrate on the PS4. The developers out there do not like the Cell, they hate it in fact. You can even tell that the studios that Sony owns also don't like it, they are more excited for the PS4. I think IBM $#@!ed over Sony in a way in terms of ease of development and stuff. Who designed the chip, was it IBM and Toshiba with Sony funding it?
    IBM has been using it in their supercomputers, so I'd imagine they may still keep doing that.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

  16. #14
    Apprentice
    Coconut_Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    359
    Rep Power
    13
    Points
    4,591 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    IBM has been using it in their supercomputers, so I'd imagine they may still keep doing that.
    yea, that's IBM and the chip was used more towards server use then anything which is why I never understood why they even used it for a gaming console. I think it was pretty stupid and expensive. Of course BR players were very expensive and that was the main price hike for the PS3 but the Cell I don't think was cheap either. IBM can use that chip all they want, it doesn't mean it's doing good. in fact if the Cell was doing good then other companies would be using it which they're not.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

    http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

  17. #15
    Superior Member
    GreatSpaceKoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    845
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    10,467 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    See this, it's Sony doing their homework and important research. This is what you get when you study and ask questions, Sony is very lucky to have a guy like Mark Cerny and the developers are lucky also.
    They didn't need to study or research anything. Sony heard the complaints about the Emotion Engine in the PS2 and Sony DIDN'T listen. Cuz they made the even harder to program Cell based PS3. Devs complained AGAIN and Sony FINALLY dropped the "we know better" attitude and gave devs what they wanted since the PS2... a powerful yet EASY to program hardware. No study or research needed.... they simply had to stop ignoring the devs and give them what they asked for going on 2 console generations. Wasn't exactly rocket science.

  18. #16
    Dedicated Member
    Shingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    30
    Points
    13,603 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Every step forward is belittled, every weak point is a huge matter. I agree with sony's ignorance towards costumers and devs like you stated a few times on another topics, yet after they slaped by xbox a little, which is needed time by time for every monopol company, I am sure now they are costumer oriented not as stupid as they used to be.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)



    MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

  19. #17
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,871
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    20,473 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The reason Sony couldn't hear developers cries was because of Ken Kutaragi.The second Kazuo Hirai stepped in the PS3 had a huge turn around and actually started making Sony profits in that sector. Why else would neogaf worship him so much. Kaz could only fix what he was handed, now we have a fresh generation with the newly discovered old dog Mark Cerny to help guide the PlayStation domination.
    Last edited by mickice; 03-24-2013 at 12:26.

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  20. Likes Coconut_Crunch likes this post
  21. #18
    Apprentice
    Coconut_Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    359
    Rep Power
    13
    Points
    4,591 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    They didn't need to study or research anything. Sony heard the complaints about the Emotion Engine in the PS2 and Sony DIDN'T listen. Cuz they made the even harder to program Cell based PS3. Devs complained AGAIN and Sony FINALLY dropped the "we know better" attitude and gave devs what they wanted since the PS2... a powerful yet EASY to program hardware. No study or research needed.... they simply had to stop ignoring the devs and give them what they asked for going on 2 console generations. Wasn't exactly rocket science.
    They did, to research something is to study which Sony did do and they needed to do it. If you want a gaming console to get the support, you need to ask the developers what they would like and at least meet them half way. Study and research is needed in all big businesses that make a lot of money. Even Microsoft does all that stuff, so does APPLE and many others. You don't blindly come out with a product without seeing what others around you want, that's called infomercials, those programs where they sell you stuff at 3am.
    Last edited by Coconut_Crunch; 03-24-2013 at 14:08.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

    http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

  22. #19
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,202
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    16,603 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    IBM has been using it in their supercomputers, so I'd imagine they may still keep doing that.
    Toshiba also still use the CELL in their HDTVs.

  23. #20
    Superior Member
    GreatSpaceKoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    845
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    10,467 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    They did, to research something is to study which Sony did do and they needed to do it. If you want a gaming console to get the support, you need to ask the developers what they would like and at least meet them half way. Study and research is needed in all big businesses that make a lot of money. Even Microsoft does all that stuff, so does APPLE and many others. You don't blindly come out with a product without seeing what others around you want, that's called infomercials, those programs where they sell you stuff at 3am.
    If someone presents you with the problem "2 + 2", are you gonna break out a basic arithmetic book to STUDY addition in order to answer the question correctly? Of course not! Why? Cuz you knew the answer YEARS ago.

    Sony knew the answer YEARS ago cuz the devs have been TELLING Sony, the gaming press and the public for the 13 years since the PS2's release. You wouldn't have to study for a test if someone was giving all the right answers would you? Well the devs have been giving 13 years of right answers.... no need to study anything. Sony had to simply listen, not study.

    Then they decide to go with the most coded for architecture in history.... x86 based chips. They didn't need to study that either since it's been obvious for 25+ years now to everyone but Sony. Microsoft never had this issue with either the x86 based Xbox or the Synergistic Processing Elements (SPE)-LESS tri-core PowerPC chip.

    Now they may need to study what worked and didn't work in the marketing of their consoles since that's a lot less obvious and complicated. But when it comes to what went wrong in ease of development for their PS2 and PS3, NO STUDY was needed. They've been hit over the head with it by the devs, the gaming press and the public gaming forums for 13 years now. Sony had to stop being stubborn and start LISTENING. Better late then never!

  24. #21
    Master Guru
    Bigdoggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,382
    Rep Power
    71
    Points
    5,212 (11,045 Banked)
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    He is right and by the way I run my own business and I know for a fact that in order to make a business successful you have to do research, in this case Sony did do research. I really don't see how you are even debating this, that is just silly. o.O

    It doesn't matter what answer you knew from how many years ago. What you obviously failed to understand was that from the PS1 to the PS3 there have been a few leaders leading Sony. Some were good and some were just bad (Howard Stringer). There is no debating this. lol
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 03-25-2013 at 02:49.

  25. #22
    Administrator
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,095
    Rep Power
    125
    Points
    117,002 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Toshiba also still use the CELL in their HDTVs.
    Did not know that. :]
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

  26. #23
    Member
    Robardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    143
    Rep Power
    28
    Points
    989 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    If someone presents you with the problem "2 + 2", are you gonna break out a basic arithmetic book to STUDY addition in order to answer the question correctly? Of course not! Why? Cuz you knew the answer YEARS ago.

    Sony knew the answer YEARS ago cuz the devs have been TELLING Sony, the gaming press and the public for the 13 years since the PS2's release. You wouldn't have to study for a test if someone was giving all the right answers would you? Well the devs have been giving 13 years of right answers.... no need to study anything. Sony had to simply listen, not study.

    Then they decide to go with the most coded for architecture in history.... x86 based chips. They didn't need to study that either since it's been obvious for 25+ years now to everyone but Sony. Microsoft never had this issue with either the x86 based Xbox or the Synergistic Processing Elements (SPE)-LESS tri-core PowerPC chip.

    Now they may need to study what worked and didn't work in the marketing of their consoles since that's a lot less obvious and complicated. But when it comes to what went wrong in ease of development for their PS2 and PS3, NO STUDY was needed. They've been hit over the head with it by the devs, the gaming press and the public gaming forums for 13 years now. Sony had to stop being stubborn and start LISTENING. Better late then never!
    Its really the top brass that make the final decisions in the end. You know what I find funny is when developers say certain said tech is hard to develop for but when they actually try and go learn how to use it we get amazing games like we did on the ps2 and are still getting on the ps3. They always cry foul when something alien to them comes there way.

    Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

  27. #24
    Superior Member
    GreatSpaceKoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    845
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    10,467 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    He is right and by the way I run my own business and I know for a fact that in order to make a business successful you have to do research, in this case Sony did do research. I really don't see how you are even debating this, that is just silly. o.O

    It doesn't matter what answer you knew from how many years ago. What you obviously failed to understand was that from the PS1 to the PS3 there have been a few leaders leading Sony. Some were good and some were just bad (Howard Stringer). There is no debating this. lol
    You only do research when you don't know the answer. If we knew how to cure all cancer, we wouldn't keep putting money into research to find the cure.

    You say you run a business? Let's say you run Sony. You've telling me when you already have been told by the people that know best.... the developers who make the games.... that you gotta make an easier to program console... that you are gonna fork out money to people to still research into it?

    Researcher: Hey boss.... we found out what's wrong. The devs need an easier to program console.

    Sony Boss: But I've known that for years.

    Researcher: Yes... but we went as far as figuring out the easiest chip to develop for....the x86 platform.

    Sony Boss: But I already knew that too. Why did I fork out big bucks for answers I already knew?

    Researcher: Cuz you're stubborn, deaf, blind and wanted to waste money?!? I don't know. You'll have to ask yourself that question.

  28. #25
    Elite Sage
    Two4DaMoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,291
    Rep Power
    110
    Points
    13,329 (75,576 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Fact of the matter is, they went and asked these devs what they wanted. They came through on their word based on what these devs are saying about the ps4. The b.o.m isn't costing them an arm and a leg for the ps4 and that was confirmed by Yoshida(sp?). Highly customized pc parts;keeping the price down;easy to develop for = win.

    edit:nvm
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 03-25-2013 at 06:03.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.