Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Northbridge coolers

Got a new board for my CPU since the previous one was cheap and rubbish, 2 of the SATA ports were obstructed by the GPU card so I could only use 4 also the SATA ports were not 6Gbs.

The point is, this board the north bridge runs hot, very hot, too hot to touch and AMD overdrive reports temps excess of 75C if the case is closed but max 70C if its open.
    I assume this is the north bridge?

What I am after is some sort of coolerI have my eye on a zalman becuase I have had a zalman CPU cooler int h past and it was great but nowhere seems to stock the one I want locally so I am open to suggestions.
    The cooler I am idealy after just so you know.
    http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Pr...ad.php?Idx=133

My board if it helps. it is the 1.1 revision.
    http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/prod...px?pid=4297#ov

Master Poster

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Got a new board for my CPU since the previous one was cheap and rubbish, 2 of the SATA ports were obstructed by the GPU card so I could only use 4 also the SATA ports were not 6Gbs.

The point is, this board the north bridge runs hot, very hot, too hot to touch and AMD overdrive reports temps excess of 75C if the case is closed but max 70C if its open.
    I assume this is the north bridge?

What I am after is some sort of coolerI have my eye on a zalman becuase I have had a zalman CPU cooler int h past and it was great but nowhere seems to stock the one I want locally so I am open to suggestions.
    The cooler I am idealy after just so you know.
    http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Pr...ad.php?Idx=133
    I had a similar problem with a hot northbridge, I bought a mini scyth fan and mounted it right on top of the onboard passive cooling with double sided 3m #4010 tape.
    i'll try and find some links here soon

3M 4010
    Last edited by maltrophstitan; 03-29-2013 at 05:54.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Stupid Question but how do you know the North Bridge Temp I use Overdrive too & HW Monitor and the only temps I see are Ambient/Socket/PCB & Core temps.

But I also get different readings from HW & Overdrive as HW says my cores are @ 19c but overdrive shows them at 31c ??

The 1st 3 temps don't have names on them only TMPIN1 TMPIN2 & TMPIN3 on Overdrive but are named TMPIN 0/1/2 on HW Monitor which I assume are Ambient/Socket & PCB temp

Supreme Veteran
    Turns out its not the northbridge thats getting that hot. Instead its the mosfets.
    I took the back off my case and could feel it wamr in that area so now for the time beign I have bodged a fan to cool them down until I get soem heatinks for those as well.

In AMD overdrive I was using the TMPIN1 tbut it could vary from board to board its still pretty hot. over 60C but at east now I cannot smell any wamr electronics whn it was in the 70s.

Someoen reccomended these for Mosfets asnd maybe even as the northbridge cooler.
    http://www.quietpc.com/swap-vga

Last edited by keefy; 03-29-2013 at 17:38.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    TMPIN 1 seems to be the same as TMPIN 0 on HW monitor as they both show the same temp and I was told that was the Ambient Air temp inside the case ??

with the PCB Temp being below the Socket Temp

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    I had the issue when I had an AMD system on my old AMD 945 X4 it would say 92 via HWMonitor it turns out it probably is a faulty sensor or a sensor that I dont have and its just reporting a high temp every thing was fine playing games etc never had any overheat issues

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Supreme Veteran
    Its not a faulty sensor in my case, it is running hot, too hot to touch and I can smell warm electronics if I don't use the fan.

Just an hour ago my PC wasnt working, I was streaming a movie and ti just suddenly stopped. so I went to investigate and my PC wasnt even on. I tried switching it on and nthing happeend. Unplugged it used a differen cord and it workd, fuse I thought so tried the other cord and it worked again my guess is it was too hot so shut down and wouldnt come back up until cool enough.

Gonna send this board back later this week its too much trouble and if the heatsinks do not work I will have voided the warranty.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-01-2013 at 00:58.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    If that is the case then I would certainly RMA it could be a fault with the north bridge chip possibly think I had an issue like that with a old ECS motherboard for my AMD 64 system years ago

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Elite Sage
    Im not sure what goes with my PC but sometimes my Temps will Jump up a lot when I don't see it even on Idle but after Googling what the TMPINS/0/1/2/3 on HWmonitor/Overdrive mean it turns out it's different for every board but im sure the readings aren't real cause The Core temps are different between Overdrive & HW Monitor

But not just that last night after playing SWTOR for about 10 hours HWmonitor had at max temp TMPIN0 @ 160c & TMPIN1 @ 129c which would mean my CPU/& Mobo would be on Fire so im getting false readings from somewhere plus I have my BIOS to warn me if my CPU hits 70c anyways which it has never done.

So ive been Running PRIME95 Torture test for over 2 hours so far and heres where my temps are at so far (see the 86c @ TMPIN0 & notice the Difference in Core temps between programs)

temps2.jpg

EDIT sry i'll try re-size the pic now also can't remove the other pic for some reason PSU just shows black screen on Attachment Managment
    Attached Images
    Last edited by John25; 04-01-2013 at 15:51.

Supreme Veteran
    Never use the attatchment system its $#@!e.

I sometimes use dropbox cscreengrab usign printscreen paste into paint then save directly into he drop box public>>pics folder,

11. Likes John25 likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Thanks for info fella but was getting errors trying to upload it via PSU, Anyways I lost last pic due to Waterfox Freezing so Just ran PRIME 95 again Torture test (1 hour so far)

see how it's given me a reading this time of 86c on TMPIN1 on last pic it had 86c on TMPIN0 & a high number on TMPIN2 & look at that fan speed at Max lol seroiusly doubt 120mm fans can output anywhere near a RPM of 333,000+rpm

Anyways I think that TMPIN2 is the actual core temps as it's consistant with the Overdrive Temps but if thats the Case then what are the Temps that HW Monitor is showing on each core (also shows same temp on Win7 CPU Widget) ??
    Last edited by John25; 04-01-2013 at 19:02.

Thread Information