Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Kojima on taking time out from the game industry – and choosing the Metal Gear movie’

Hideo Kojima has told us that he’d like to spend some time away from games development to work in other mediums, and has been offered work on several movies.Speaking to us as part of his Metal Gear Rising: Revenegance world tour, in which he also revealed his first impressions of PS4 and the

potential role that episodic content could have on next-gen platforms, Kojima told us: “I am turning 50 this year, and while I love game development, it’s quite a time in my life where I’d like to explore other things.”

“I love games, but I don’t necessarily like the management of the business aspect of working for a company. There are many things I’d like to do – for example maybe take a year off and write a novel. I’ve also gotten offers to work on various movies, and to make movies, so those are things that I’d love to explore at some point in my life.”

A Metal Gear Solid movie was announced alongside the Ground Zeroes reveal last year, but the project is still in its formative stages. Kojima has, however, given some thought as to who will direct and star in the big screen interpretation of Metal Gear Solid. “I don’t want to choose [a director] who has too much of a background making game movies, I want to find someone who’s fresh and new, and have someone who can really grow into this movie as their first role.”

“I’m working with the producer of this project, Avi Arad, and he’s come to me with various offers, saying that there are a lot of Hollywood actors who want to be Snake in the movie,” he continued. “But, that said, I’m reluctant to find somebody who’s a big name action hero because I want to find somebody who can grow with Snake in the movie, not somebody who has an established image before coming to the project. We want somebody to come in who can grow along with Snake as a fellow human being.”

Kojima is speaking at GDC 2013 next week, at which he’ll reveal final details on Konami’s new FOX Engine. Expect to see more information on Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes next week too, plus how The Phantom Pain project could fit into Kojima’s plans.

You can read more about Konami’s next-gen game engine in E252.
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/koji...game-industry/

Nice news, it is refreshing to hear a awesome creator like him, is taking time off and then come back with bright new idea's
    Last edited by claud3; 03-24-2013 at 15:40.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Overseer
    He's going bankrupt.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    He's going bankrupt.
    Really?

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Really?
    I'm exaggerating but if he spent a lot of money into movies, he will not make much back.

1) These are game movies. They don't have the popularity.

2) He might be a good game director but movies are another beast. He probably doesn't know what it takes to do that well. I find his stories cheesy and cliche.

3) I know he wants new people in his movie (from actors to director) but that can also mean risk. What I would do is get a director that is not well known but good...not a new director though...same with actors. Unless he really thinks they can act well...and actually he should not cast either, because he wouldn't know good acting from average.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I'm exaggerating but if he spent a lot of money into movies, he will not make much back.

1) These are game movies. They don't have the popularity.

2) He might be a good game director but movies are another beast. He probably doesn't know what it takes to do that well. I find his stories cheesy and cliche.

3) I know he wants new people in his movie (from actors to director) but that can also mean risk. What I would do is get a director that is not well known but good...not a new director though...same with actors. Unless he really thinks they can act well...and actually he should not cast either, because he wouldn't know good acting from average.
    Ok got ya. You make a good point. I do think an MGS movie would do pretty well though. Not sure it would do good enough to justify making it.

Forum Overseer
    Ok got ya. You make a good point. I do think an MGS movie would do pretty well though. Not sure it would do good enough to justify making it.
    I'm not saying it can't, I'm just very skeptical. Only movie I know that has ever come out decent in sales is Resident Evil...and that movie has barely anything to do with the game.

If they made a MGS movie that is loosely based on the game then I might be interested, the less control Kojima has, the better. Which I think he wants to do anyway, he is probably just producing it.

What I'm afraid of is that he's going to want a Hollywood movie...I, on the other hand, would expect a movie without a format. But that's probably just me and I might be in the minority. I'm much more into European and Middle Eastern movies than typical Hollywood format.

I guess as long as it will sell to the masses, that's fine (i.e. even remotely as popular as Transformers), I wouldn't expect more from it, I just hope he doesn't go so hardcore into it that only MGS want to watch it.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    I'm not saying it can't, I'm just very skeptical. Only movie I know that has ever come out decent in sales is Resident Evil...and that movie has barely anything to do with the game.

If they made a MGS movie that is loosely based on the game then I might be interested, the less control Kojima has, the better. Which I think he wants to do anyway, he is probably just producing it.

What I'm afraid of is that he's going to want a Hollywood movie...I, on the other hand, would expect a movie without a format. But that's probably just me and I might be in the minority. I'm much more into European and Middle Eastern movies than typical Hollywood format.

I guess as long as it will sell to the masses, that's fine (i.e. even remotely as popular as Transformers), I wouldn't expect more from it, I just hope he doesn't go so hardcore into it that only MGS want to watch it.
    Tomb Raider, Pokemon, Prince of Persia, Silent Hill, Mortal Kombat.

The biggest problem with video game adaptions is that the people behind it don't really make themselves familiar with the material and research why people love them. It's better if Kojima had some influence.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post

The biggest problem with video game adaptions is that the people behind it don't really make themselves familiar with the material and research why people love them. It's better if Kojima had some influence.
    Prince of Persia and Silent Hill were popular? Pokemon yea but for kiddies. Mortal Kombat did well and Tomb Raider (probably because of Angelina)...it's not common for these movies to do really well.

But what you're suggesting is something that only MGS fans would love, not worth making the movie for. I enjoyed MGS cutscenes when I was a teenager, not when I'm a 30 year old man.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19

Yep. They basically just slap the name on it and take about 25% of what makes the games and put their own spin on it.

Ancient
    Yep. They basically just slap the name on it and take about 25% of what makes the games and put their own spin on it.
    The first Silent Hill shown a lot of reference to the first game, they did research and was fans but I heard the story got pulled and rewritten because the studio didn't think people would get it and added in a lot of explanation to stuff that wasn't required and was made up for the sake of the movie structure which actually ruined it
    that awkward bit where they explain everything at the end, that was added
    Prince Of Persia was pretty good thou imo as a film

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    There are a few exceptions. SH and PoP were good IMO.

12. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    He doesn't look 40 let alone 50.

Kojima has said things like this before as well as talking about ending Metal Gear and yet he always comes back with another one. He either gets cold feet when actually presented with a chance for something different or Konami have a chain round his neck.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Prince of Persia and Silent Hill were popular? Pokemon yea but for kiddies. Mortal Kombat did well and Tomb Raider (probably because of Angelina)...it's not common for these movies to do really well.

But what you're suggesting is something that only MGS fans would love, not worth making the movie for. I enjoyed MGS cutscenes when I was a teenager, not when I'm a 30 year old man.
    Prince of Persia is the highest grossing video game adaption ever.

I'm not saying it should be a direct copy of MGS, it's better to have someone else edit Kojima's vision, but still have him consult.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Forum Overseer
    Prince of Persia is the highest grossing video game adaption ever.

I'm not saying it should be a direct copy of MGS, it's better to have someone else edit Kojima's vision, but still have him consult.
    Well that's exactly what I'm saying and I think Kojima is intelligent enough to know that, thus why he's producing it instead of directing it.

Thread Information