Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

American McGee Not Impressed With Sony PS4 And Believes SimCity Gamers Need To Relax

Game industry veteran American McGee has been involved in some of the biggest shooter franchises of all time. These days, as head of Spicy Horse Games, he has been focusing on original mobile games designed for cross-platform gameplay. He made the news recently by asking his Facebook fans if they’d be interested in a new Alice 3 game – something gamers

answered with an overwhelming yes. He’ll be meeting with Electronic Arts, which owns the Alice IP, at GDC 2013 to see if there might even be the potential for a third Alice interactive adventure.
    There’s been a ton of negative media attention and anti-publisher sentiment from PC gamers of late following the digital rights management (DRM) issues that plagued the launch of Electronic Arts’ SimCity game. EA Maxis, which like Blizzard

Entertainment’s Diablo III launch last year, wasn’t able to keep up with online demand for the game. McGee, who lives in Shanghai and has seen firsthand why DRM is important to fight piracy, addresses the still-burning controversy with a candid response. He also explains why he’s more excited about the exploding mobile gaming category than Sony’s PlayStation 4 and talks about going to hell in his brand new game in this exclusive interview.

As a veteran of the PC gaming industry, what are your thoughts on DRM and the fan outcry we’ve seen with PC game launches like Diablo III and SimCity at launch?

There are right and wrong ways to solve the problem, for sure. Customers have a right to expect that products they’ve purchased perform as advertised. That being said, developers and publishers face extinction if they can’t solve the piracy issue while at the same time addressing the demands gamers make regarding connected and accessible games (I see these two things going together). Being in China all I see are companies who have

solved these issues and customers who are happy with the results. Western developers have some obstacles to overcome before they get there. Not sure I see how incendiary media coverage or player reactions are warranted when things don’t work as expected. Do gamers or the media think EA or Blizzard wanted things to go so badly at launch? Do they think all the screaming and

gnashing of teeth actually helped resolve those issues more quickly? There’s got to be a balance to the relationship. Just because you’ve given a restaurant your business doesn’t entitle you to throwing molten cheese fries in your waiter’s face if your margarita comes out frozen instead of on the rocks. People need to relax a little and stop turning everything into World War III – Gamers vs. The Man. There are no winners in that scenario.

What are your thoughts on what Sony has shown with PS4?

I was hoping for innovation in control input. Didn’t see anything meaningful, so “meh.” It’s nice that they’re moving towards what looks like more developer-friendly hardware and indie friendly distribution. Remains to be seen if the appearance matches reality. Overall, I think this generation of consoles will struggle painfully against the momentum of mobile/online games we’re seeing globally.

What do you see the next generation of consoles opening up for you as a game developer?

At present it just looks like another distribution channel with not much to differentiate from other outlets (aside from sheer horsepower)

What impact do you feel the advancing gaming power of tablets will have on the games business moving forward, even as next gen consoles enter the market?

We’re seeing a lot of blurring between categories as tablets become more like consoles and consoles began to flaunt more and more always-connected and social features. The distinction between “tablet” and “phone” is also blurring as we’re seeing mini-tablets and mega-phones gaining in popularity

simultaneously. Ultimately, people are going to choose based on power, size and convenience – and I think we’re going to see devices emerging which change their form, function and interface depending on where or for what

they’re being used. More than anything it’s interface that’s going to drive the most significant change – things like Oculus Rift will radically change people’s demands and expectations – that’s where the real revolution is going to start.

What excites you about the potential of the fast-evolving mobile gaming space?

It’s the evolution of interface that gets me most excited. Nothing will be able to compete with full immersion and seamless interface being powered by a processor stack in your pocket.

How do you see the evolution of multi-screen gaming, especially with today’s younger gamers, impacting the way games are made moving forward?

We’re already seeing really interesting data coming out of our first cross-platform/device game, Crazy Fairies. Thirty to forty percent of our players are now engaging with the game on both web/client (Mac or PC) and on their smartphones (mainly Android at this point). That’s something I heard publishers saying “would not appeal” just 12 months ago. Now everyone is rushing into the space, trying to figure out how to offer unlimited

connectivity into games from as many platforms and devices as possible. This again fits in with an evolution towards always connected ubiquitous gaming (and computing in general).

What’s SpicyWorld all about?

It’s a micro-social platform we built for self-publishing our own games and games from other developers of online content. We’ve seen some really healthy growth over the past couple of months – just passing 350,000 registered users. All that’s been organic, without marketing and with a lot of support from our community. What’s great for us is that it provides a unique

conduit straight to our audience – a place where they can post ideas on our forums, engage with suggestions/bugs via ZenDesk and chat directly with us in real time. You’ll often find me lurking in the chats, talking with people about ways to improve our games. We’re excited to see the platform growing and looking forward to adding more great games from other developers this year.

What will Spicy Horse Games be showing at GDC 2013?

We’re showing off our three existing online titles, BigHead BASH, Crazy Fairies, and Akaneiro: Demon Hunters. I’m also going to be meeting with other developers to talk about bringing their titles to our SpicyWorld platform.

Can you say anything about the new game you’ll be demoing at GDC for the first time?

For the past couple of months we’ve been working on an online/mobile CCG set in hell. It doesn’t have a final name yet, but the story revolves around rescuing souls from hell by collecting and fighting an army of demons. It’s got a beautiful dark art style and really deep, engaging storyline. During GDC we’ll be sure to release some screenshots, concept artwork and additional details. Expect to see the game released around May 2013.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaud...need-to-relax/
    Last edited by claud3; 03-24-2013 at 17:36.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Blah blah blah...consoles will struggle vs mobile gaming. smh

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Somebody who complains about lack of innovation in control input is diametrically opposed to my way of thinking!

4. Likes MavSkipper, mistercrow, Shingo likes this post
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    This developer has never interested me.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    I can not see why this is going on.... You would think that they all would be happy with new technology and advancements
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Stating it as indie friendly and blaming it to be weak against mobile gamings is awesome
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Ultimate Veteran
    meh. I can't be arssed to think of anything else to say, really. Everyone wants to make a cheap-to-develop game, put it up on Android and iTunes and watch the millions come in. I get it. That being said, gaming will become a heap of shovelware if that is the direction everyone goes.

Developers that earned their chops back in the 80's know too well what happens when you take it for granted that gamers are just a walking talking strip mine to rape and pillage. The game producers that don't just give in will be the ones that have a respectable name when gamers demand quality again. It's a cycle just as real as any.

9. Likes LegendaryAim likes this post
    Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Control input? $#@! off man. The classic controller is just find for me. $#@! the Wii and WiiU's gimmicky inputs. Fads and nothing more. They add nothing to the experience.

Also, all I keep hearing is this "mobile gaming" that is going to dominate. I just don't see it. I have yet to have a mobile game that I "had to have". Plus the control input for mobile games frustrates me. It's not comfortable and the games are not high quality. I honestly do not see mobile games overtaking the console market with it's quality offerings.
    Last edited by unicron7; 03-24-2013 at 18:33.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Ultimate Veteran
    Think of the temptation it is for a recognized developer to make a cheap ass $60 -$100,000 dollar budget game for mobile phones. They can pizazz up their game description by putting in the other games they've worked on compared to startup indie developers who don't really have a name to cash in on yet.

That's what it all boils down to. Of course he's not excited about systems that are going to take years of development time and millions to make a game for. He's been there done that. Now he's going to make a quick buck off of the name he has made by making real legitimate games.

I hate to sound nasty, but that's exactly what it is. If Hideo Kojima or Shiggs made a mobile game, they could spend next to nothing making a 4 hour long game and rake in millions. Fortunately, they have the foresight not to do such a thing.

12. Likes MavSkipper likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I love how he tells gamers to ease up about a game they can't play because the company that released it thought it was a grand idea to have an always online game. Now its broken because of said always online. Yeah ease up because you were screwed out of a game that you payed money for.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    These people annoy me a lot, controllers are controllers, they don't need to be changed.

And look, another guy saying the handheld market will ruin actual gaming. Flash games is the future...

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    who is he again? never mind, i dont care

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Another fool running his mouth?

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Ancient
    Consoles and iPad again, does he even realize that its his laptop he doesn't carry around with him anymore, mobile devices are killing the PC platform more then anything, people don't unplugs there PlayStation and pack it away to play mobile games
    They do sell/dont use there PC/Laptop because all those facebook games/shopping/browsing can be done on Mobiles devices

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Hold the $#@! on.

American Mcgee is the name of an actual person? It's not some publisher/dev studio name?

LOL. What an unfortunate individual.

That's really all I had to add to this thread. Nothing else I read was relevant to my interests.

19. Likes Thorzilla likes this post
    PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    These people annoy me a lot, controllers are controllers, they don't need to be changed.

And look, another guy saying the handheld market will ruin actual gaming. Flash games is the future...
    I've yet to find a mobile game with the depth of a console.

Exactly, controllers are controllers. Power Glove...that is all.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Love it when devs who dont make that great of games, knock the hardware.
    Alice wasnt that great, Alice Madness returns was ok, and his newist free to play (browser) game isnt all that great either (enough to hold my interest anyways)

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Look i hate how this piss's me off, when a jerk like this and others

who cry about no new advancements in gaming and yet when one comes out, they cry because it is not up to their standards...

I fear this will not be the last bashing the PS4 gets and that is sad... That people have such a sad life to have anger feelings towards a box with electric inside it

Last edited by claud3; 03-24-2013 at 20:48.

Apprentice
    He's entitled to his opinion so I see nothing wrong with what he said and that is because not many people share the same feelings he does so it doesn't matter.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Wait, his name is American, but he lives in China?

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    I've yet to find a mobile game with the depth of a console.

Exactly, controllers are controllers. Power Glove...that is all.
    Exactly, I've had an ipod touch and I was into the hype of apple, brought many many games but after the initial 10 minutes I realized these games are nothing but flash games, a good quick playthrough and that is about it, the max I put is probably like 3 hours into Zombie driver ( something like that)
    Any game that is even ahead of games like angry birds is horrible due to performance or controls, or both ( GTA)

Nothing on the vita or its game either.

Heck I would pick the arena in Fifa football over EVERY handheld game!

Not even close to the level of the majority indie games on the console.

Forum Overseer
    Bleh, the title is misleading. He's not unimpressed with the PS4 per se.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinkles88 View Post
    Wait, his name is American, but he lives in China?

Moved to China some years back

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    I actually finished Alice II, not bad for a mid-list first person shooter, though it didn't really live up to the promise of the concept. It certainly wasn't triple A when it released, it felt like it was a year or two behind.

Ultimate Veteran
    I never heard of this guy so he dont know what he is saying

Thread Information