Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Poster

Can Square Re-Capture The Magic? [Revisited....again]

I seem to make a thread like this every couple of years. But I'm a huge FF fan and a good FF discussion is always a great thing to have. Basically my question is as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryAim View Post
    In 2008 I created a thread asking the forum on whether or not Square could recapture the magic that Final Fantasy lost after FFX with FFXIII. The thread generated some good discussion and now that we've been able to have the product in our hands for about 2 months I ask you again. Has Square been able to recapture the magic of Final Fantasy with this latest installment?

Here is the original OP from the Original thread.

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177113

So did SE recapture the magic that they lost after FFX? In my opinion, no they haven't. The reason being is that I've had FFXIII for two months now and I still haven't beaten it. I've hit a wall of some sorts. And I can't pinpoint why exactly. Is it the battle system? Is it the glaring design flaws with this title? Is the story not moving enough? I don't know but FFXIII hasn't grasped me and made me want to play it all night long like FFX/FFVII/FFVIII.

And it's not like I have outgrown the genre or the games because I can still go back to any of those titles and pour in countless hours and still enjoy myself.

So I ask you forum. Was Square-Enix able to re-capture the magic of Final Fantasy for you?
    In light of recent events and rumors....do you think SE can recapture the Magic of Final Fantasy? Can they redeem the franchise going into Next-Gen and if so...How and what do they need to do?
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yes...

Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

3. Likes daLa likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    not if they keep turning out of FF games all the time... I have not seen anything else from them in a while
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Magic = Story

I've said this dozens of times, so I'm sure you guys are getting sick of it, but it comes down to the writing. The Final Fantasy 'magic' is simply the engrossing, memorable stories they used to have.

There is a fundamental difference between enjoying a game for its fun gameplay and good visuals, rather than truly caring about what occurs in the game world due to its story.

And since the writer of FFVII and FFX is writing Versus (now FFXV), I feel there is a strong chance that game will 'recapture the magic'. However, anything written by Toriyama has a much smaller chance.

With that said, I do feel the music contributes to the magic as well.

6. Likes LegendaryAim likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    But why focus on the FF series, why not start a new series with new stories
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Yes. BUT they need to focus on storytelling, character development, plot and setting. I think Square will rise from their ashes and give us amazing FF titles again. Why? Devs no longer have to deal with complex hardware with PS4, so they can focus their resources in doing more with less hustle. However, this is what I believe should happen:

Bring Nobuo back
    Keep the battles classic, with battle transitions, paused combat and all
    Make a damn world map
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    There's only one thing

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Magic = Story

I've said this dozens of times, so I'm sure you guys are getting sick of it, but it comes down to the writing. The Final Fantasy 'magic' is simply the engrossing, memorable stories they used to have.

There is a fundamental difference between enjoying a game for its fun gameplay and good visuals, rather than truly caring about what occurs in the game world due to its story.

And since the writer of FFVII and FFX is writing Versus (now FFXV), I feel there is a strong chance that game will 'recapture the magic'. However, anything written by Toriyama has a much smaller chance.

Music does highly contribute yes, and FF13 had the weakest soundtrack I've ever heard for an RPG.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    You know what would help them more than anything... PASSION and it seems they have been stripped of it and if that is gone, well kiss goodbye

Veteran
    Versus XIII (VX) could be their redemption.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    They have every opportunity in the world to do it with the start of a new console generation. They simply need to get back to the basics of what made them such a great company. Not trying to pump out so many titles. They have too many in the pipeline and not enough resources.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Magic = Story

You know, I didn't even realize that Nojima was writing for VSXIII...wasn't even aware that he didn't have any part of FFXIII outside of writing up the concept of it and looking up on the FF wiki...its really cool to see he was behind Crisis Core.....Makes me even more hyped for VSXIII...I really hope SE delivers this E3. I still remember my reaction to when they revealed Auron was an unsent and Tidus was just a dream...or when Jecht was a Sin...>God I really need that FFX HD
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    There's only one thing
    You know it's not going to happen. The game industry today isn't like it was in 1997. And even if they did go through with it, how many other classic titles would they have to remake to please nostalgic fans?
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

16. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    You know it's not going to happen. The game industry today isn't like it was in 1997. And even if they did go through with it, how many other classic titles would they have to remake to please nostalgic fans?
    The only ones I hear about ever getting remade FF7 or FF6. FF9 or FF8 are usually the minority. I'm just keeping my hope alive.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Ultimate Veteran
    I don't even remember the last time Square brought it up. That's how little hope you guys have of this thing ever seeing the day of light. Lol.

Master Guru
    I don't even remember the last time Square brought it up. That's how little hope you guys have of this thing ever seeing the day of light. Lol.
    It does seem like forever ago. One day they may have no other choice to make It. Maybe that game (or versus) may have to save them. Last I heard they wouldn't doing too well,right?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I know! It's getting tiring hearing about this magical world of sunshine, rainbows, and candy where FFVII will get remade.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    It does seem like forever ago. One day they may have no other choice to make It. Maybe that game (or versus) may have to save them. Last I heard they wouldn't doing too well,right?
    They aren't doing too well but for multiple reasons. Final Fantasy XIV disappointed the online fanbase, people are getting tired of the Lightning Saga and it doesn't help that other games in the series (Type-0 and Versus XIII) have yet to see be released/localized.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 03-26-2013 at 00:25.

Master Guru
    They aren't doing too well but for multiple reasons. Final Fantasy XIV disappointed the online fanbase, people are getting tired of the Lightning Saga and it doesn't help that other games in the series (Type-0 and Versus XIII) have yet to see be released/localized.
    Pretty much yes. What If those games end up terrible? Then their resources was wasted then they may come to the conclusion of giving the fans what they want. (FF7)I may be grasping at straws but I just don't see the game not getting remade eventually. ( :O )

Elite Member
    Except for the fact that these days, it seems more games are being re-released and remade than actual new IPs being introduced...

And why would they have to remake more games? As far as I know, FF7 is the only game people are constantly begging to be remade by them...I'm sure these nostalgic fans of other games would have made a little more noise by now...

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    My honest opinion: they lost it, forever.

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    I don't think so sadly.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Maybe..I dunno. Just don't wanna say yes or no.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    My honest opinion: they lost it, forever.
    Most likely.

I think we'll have to look at other developers to deliver memorable RPG experiences. However, while there are a number of great Western RPG franchises out there that are pushing the limits, there is a void for a great, big-budget JRPG series.

Master Guru
    This guy said it the best.

captionlite kingdoug87 • a day ago −
    They tease fans with a Final Fantasy 7 remake, then never start making it. They show of a cool looking game (Versus) then never release it. They get everyone's hopes up for Kingdom Hearts 3, then release a bunch of spin offs on different platforms, making everyone lose interest. Then they make the worst Final Fantasy game ever, and they give it 2 sequels. Yeah, I don't think this surprised anyone. IF ONLY THEY LISTENED TO THE FANS!!!!
    1380 16 •Share ›

Thread Information