Latest PSU headlines:

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Dishonored dev: single-player games still have an audience

Dishonored co-director Harvey Smith thinks there’s plenty of room for all kinds of games, despite the oft-expressed belief that multiplayer shooters are the only game in town.

“What people say each cycle is, ‘Fill-in-the-blank is the new thing,’” Smith told GamesIndustry.

“If you’re old enough, you remember when it was live-action video games. At another point it was MMOs. At another it was social games. At another it was multiplayer shooters.

“None of those things are bad; they’re all great. But what the reality seems to be is we keep adding types of games and finding new player groups for those. The market seems to be expanding.”

The Arkane boss said that just because a new audience opens for a new genre doesn't mean other kinds of games won’t succeed.

It seems like our attention focuses on the new thing, but in reality, there are still plenty of people that like a particular kind of game,” he said.

“Every time someone announces the death of the single-player game, something like The Sims or BioShock Infinite comes along and does different things well. So far we haven’t capped out.

“It’s not like DOTA fans are buying DOTA and not playing Skyrim, or buying Dishonored and therefore not buying Madden. I think there’s a bunch of different audience types and we haven’t even hit the limit yet.”

Elsewhere in the article Smith discusses feedback from fans wanting or deriding multiplayer, and publisher pressure to include multiplayer features.

Arkane’s last game, Dishonored, is purely single-player – and just about perfect, I reckon. Bethesda seemed pretty pleased with its sales, which would seem to prove Smith’s point.
    via VG247.

I totally agree. Actually, I'm glad to hear it from the guy who helped design Deus Ex, one of my favorite games of all time.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I don't like his tone - simply because it sounds like he's saying that SP games are dying and will not become the focus anymore...

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I don't like his tone - simply because it sounds like he's saying that SP games are dying and will not become the focus anymore...
    I feel like every game is heading to mulitplayer OR tacking it on. Luckily there are still some games that show Single player's relevance.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Single player = why I play games.
    Multiplayer rarely gets my attention, and multiplayer-only games dont even get my money.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Ancient
    I've always had the opinion that the SP of games IS the game
    Multiplayer is a option in addition to the game
    When I buy a game I expect the developer to entertain me, not give me a arena themed around the game to entertain myself & other people
    Its lazy and needs to stop
    And if they can't supply us with a decent size/replayable SP they should make a MP with content
    Seriously people get excited over BF4 or CODMW4 and for what? a expensive map pack and 4 hours of gameplay?
    If they ain't got a decent SP to release then just release a map pack and add the new features to their current game
    PC devs was doing it for years for free before this gen started and now look at it
    They could take time to release something they've put effort in instead of putting out yearly retail disc versions of DLC worth of maps and SP with a option to buy the 12 missing maps that should have been on the disc considering the SP is so limited

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    DUST 514 is the only MP game I care for; I am predominantly single-player orientated. For the most part I want to get lost in the game and my thoughts, not someone's voice on mic.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    SP is the only thing that keeps me into gaming. I could do well without most MP games. Only games I play online is League of Legends and COD. Honestly I could do without COD but it is really just something that I like to do to fill free time. SP is where gaming is at. Like he said, MP is mostly about the what's in the now. They generally don't have a lot of longevity outside of select titles like WoW, COD, and Minecraft.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Superior Member
    As a long time Battlefield player, Battlefield games are the only games i play MP on. Single Player is where i can get into a story and get immersed in a world. I love single player games and that's my main reason for gaming, is just to have my own chillout time and enjoy a completely different world. Most games that 'tack' on a mp i wont even touch as I'm simply not interested. Just my two cents.

Playing: Battlefield 3
    Waiting For: GTA V, Battlefield 4

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    For me both SP & MP games are equals, i love games like Dishonored,Bioshock,Skyrim. and i love games like Battlefield and COD, actually i never touch the sp in games like Battlefield and COD because they are meant to be played online, if i want a satisfying sp experience there are other games that meant for that.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

El Presidente
    I always feel like games that didn't have multiplayer before and I love feel pressured to include it. If they don't they feel like their games won't be relevant anymore.

God of War is a good example. Really don't need multiplayer but they force it on anyway. Annoying to me.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    I always feel like games that didn't have multiplayer before and I love feel pressured to include it. If they don't they feel like their games won't be relevant anymore.

God of War is a good example. Really don't need multiplayer but they force it on anyway. Annoying to me.
    That's the problem with MP in my eyes. It has gotten so popular that devs feel they absolutely have to have it in there to make it a success. Is there anything wrong with making just an awesome SP game and putting all your resources into that?

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

12. Likes Shingo , Admartian likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Single player = why I play games.
    Multiplayer rarely gets my attention, and multiplayer-only games dont even get my money.
    Same as. No interest in playing most games online. Other people ruin my fun.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxia View Post
    Same as. No interest in playing most games online. Other people ruin my fun.
    Agree with both. I'm a single player guy for about 95% of games. Whether it's the lag or the crowd/experience I'm not sure but online gaming just doesn't give me much. I truly don't understand why it is so popular and games like GOW, Uncharted, etc spend money and dev time on tacked on multiplayer that few play in comparative ratio to those that played/finished the single player.

Thread Information