View Poll Results: Digital games here forever? Or lost in time?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, my digital games will be available till the end of time

3 23.08%
  • No, my digital games die when the network dies

10 76.92%
Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Digital games, here forever? Or lost in time?

I am curious to see how you guys feel about this. There is no right or wrong answer here, as everything is assumptions.

If the PSN were to go away, how would you download the classic games 20 years down the road?

Do you think digital games are bad for history? Will these digital only games get lost in time?

I feel that many games will disappear in time. Digital exclusives will be nothing but whatever videos you can dig up online. Physical copies of games last forever. If 20 years go by, and you find an old PS3 or PS Vita at a garage sale, there is a chance that there will be no network to log on to, to get those old digital games.

What do you think?

For those unable to understand what exactly this thread is about...

1. Physical copies will never all disappear. There will always be a way to find or play your old physical copies at any time in the future.

2. Do you think the format of which the digital game is available on, will be available forever?

3. Legal games that are intended to play on the console in which they released on. No emulators, no illegal distribution.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Gaiki

Internet and cloud gaming should be pretty popular in 20 years. Some classics getting lost would be from the laziness of people with the license to that game.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 03-26-2013 at 07:54.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Digital games will die with the platform you bought it on. But will then be available on another platform later if its popular.

I just dislike digital games so much, You don't actually own them, there is no security of how long you are gonna keep them for due to consoles dying, drm, how long digital services will be around etc.

Just give me everything on a disk. PS2 days were the best

4. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Digital games will die with the platform you bought it on. But will then be available on another platform later if its popular.

I just dislike digital games so much, You don't actually own them, there is no security of how long you are gonna keep them for due to consoles dying, drm, how long digital services will be around etc.

Just give me everything on a disk. PS2 days were the best
    I'm in agreement with you. I absolutely hate the advent of digital only media.

6. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    I'm in agreement with you. I absolutely hate the advent of digital only media.
    Yeah I don't mind BOTH, like how music CDs, DVD and Blu Ray movies are... but once games can only be downloaded I'll be pretty upset and it will be pretty dumb.

I know a lot of PC games and the vast majority of indie games are this way.. but for console games its pretty important to have your disks

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    I can not vote, because i do not know were DIGITAL GAMES will go in the future

And i could get dead after posting this and therefore my vote would be fraud
    Last edited by claud3; 03-26-2013 at 15:18.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    clear_as_night
    Items User name style
    Nothing lasts forever guys. Your physical media is perishable at home and your digital media is lost when the servers are turned off.

Some things may be kept for historical purposes but nobody is going to want to play old games. Everybody wants BC but few people actually use it. Nobody plays pong today... Nobody will play WWE'13 in 30 years time.

Technology will progress and people will play thier brand new games 30, 50, 200 years into the future.

My iPhone content is purely digital and I have comfort knowing that I can re-download my games at any time if I lose my phone or it breaks. If I lose my copy of God of War 3, I'll have to buy another. But I also accept that in 20 years when Apple have gone, so has my ability to access the Iphone content...

But at that time i'll have a brand spanking new phone that can do things the iPhone 5 never could.

WE ALL MOVE WITH THE TIMES.

PSN ID: clear_as_night
    "XBOX IS ABOUT TO BECOME THE NEXT WATER COOLER" ~ NANCY TELLEM, ENTERTAINMENT AND DIGITAL MEDIA PRESIDENT OF MICROSOFT

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I prefer digital games. My internet is fast enough to download most games faster than it is to go to the shops and back its the 50GB games that will take 3 hours, plus hard drive prices are dropping again and will be even cheaper when PS4 releases.

As for the "we do not own the digital games" lark its the same with the discs its only a license to use, read the crap on the back of the game it tells you to go here.
    http://uk.playstation.com/legal/deta...-Terms-of-Use/
    Last edited by keefy; 03-26-2013 at 15:38.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Forever. As soon as Sony announces they're pulling the plug on PSN I'll grab a brand new PS3 with a 1TB SSD and download all my games to it which should last till my dying days.

And yeah digital is the future, more and more people are downloading their games nowadays and retail discs will die in a bout 10 years.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by the_jim View Post
    Nothing lasts forever guys.
    This is why i miss ECHO THE DOLPHIN

On topic:

It will last if people still want it to last, the fans are the deciders on this and so are the companies, if the companies thinks it is not money worthy anymore

Then they will pull the plug. But we can chose the fate easily
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    I can not vote, because i do not know were DIGITAL GAMES will go in the future

And i could get dead after posting this and therefore my vote would be fraud
    I said there is no right or wrong answer, and this is pure assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Forever. As soon as Sony announces they're pulling the plug on PSN I'll grab a brand new PS3 with a 1TB SSD and download all my games to it which should last till my dying days.
    Or until the PS3 dies lol

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Yep, then I am fooked. :P

I could grab 2 brand new PS3s and download everything to both then I have a backup lol

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    But it is my assumption and i will take that to my grave lol

But again we an not truly tell, unless all goes tits up soon

PSN ID
    W_W_Heisenberg
    my only issue is some ISP are still pricey on packages for more than 20-30GB a month which doesnt allow ofr 8GB downloads, I personally have 275GB so It doesnt bother me but i know plenty of people who just have a basic internet package

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    I think digital games are bad for gaming history. How do you collect games that never came out in a physical format. 20 years from now people may ask if you remember the game "The Cave, or "Limbo", and many will have no idea what those games are. Possibly no way of playing because they were sold digitally only. Today, the entire 60s, 70, 80s, etc era of gaming still exists because of physical games. Nothing was lost in time.

Enjoy the games now, because there is a chance you may not get the chance to experience them again down the road.

PSN ID
    W_W_Heisenberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I think digital games are bad for gaming history. How do you collect games that never came out in a physical format. 20 years from now people may ask if you remember the game "The Cave, or "Limbo", and many will have no idea what those games are. Possibly no way of playing because they were sold digitally only. Today, the entire 60s, 70, 80s, etc era of gaming still exists because of physical games. Nothing was lost in time.

Enjoy the games now, because there is a chance you may not get the chance to experience them again down the road.
    good point, we have roms and emulators for playing the classics of our youth, I still rip NHL 94 for SNES almost daily, but will there be PS3 and PS4 emulators in 20 years?

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Digital wouldve been much more appreciated back in the 90s so people in Europe could get those games that were only available in JP/US.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I definitely think they will die with the network. Over time maybe some of the older games will join the "newer" network. I feel like only the real popular older games will get this treatment, especially 20-40 years from now. If consoles are even still around in the same capacity they are now.

21. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Sadly I think it is here to stay. I enjoy my physical copies of games so much. I like the feeling of looking at the case, ripping the plastic off, and inspecting the contents inside. I just never really liked DD at least from a console stand point. Especially paying that much for something that all you can see that you bought it is a digital receipt. I like the feeling of owning it and not borrowing it so to speak. I hope to see physical copies stick around for quite sometime. You know that is until mobile gaming puts the console market out of business.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post

Exactly, i hate the idea of full digital distribution for so many reasons but this is probably the biggest reason.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I hate the digital format when it comes to games. Let me be with my disc please, I need the HD space for firmware and patch updates, not an entire game. Yeah, they would disappear with time. Thank god for retro gaming shops and the idea behind that movement.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I prefer digital games. My internet is fast enough to download most games faster than it is to go to the shops and back its the 50GB games that will take 3 hours, plus hard drive prices are dropping again and will be even cheaper when PS4 releases.

As for the "we do not own the digital games" lark its the same with the discs its only a license to use, read the crap on the back of the game it tells you to go here.
    http://uk.playstation.com/legal/deta...-Terms-of-Use/
    Don't make the mistake of assuming you're the only one who understands that. No one is trying to modify the games they have bought so when they say they own it, they don't mean they have a license to the game to do whatever they wish with it.

Elite Guru
    Capitol Records just won a case stating that a company didn't have the right to re-sell the rights to Itunes downloads. I dont know exactl how you'd do that as I don't use Itunes but essentially what they're trying to say is you dont have the right to see any cash for digital content. This isnt about modifying it or claiming you created the content and own creator rights to it, it's about the right to trade it as a possession.

If physical media goes away you loose the ability to buy used materials because the only way you can get them is through download at that point, as a result a 3rd party not decides when and where you can use that content, for how long and how much it costs to use it. If CDs go away tomorrow, digital loses a major competitor and can raise prices.2 or 3 dollar song downloads will soon follow because how else will you get them other than pricy satellite radio or premium Pandora subscriptions. Alarmist? maybe but only until corporations get all capcomy and it actually happens.

This is why I stick to Physical versions when I can, I don't mind giving people the choice between the two but be educated about what happens when you choose one or the other. With a physical version YOU control how long you're allowed to use that content by taking care of it and as long as you have suitable hardware to run it, with Digital you never know how long it will be "yours" or whether you'll be limited in your rights in regard to when or where you can access it or if someone is going to make it illegal to do something you normally do with other content on any given day, presently.
    Last edited by Alpha2; 04-02-2013 at 06:16.

Nintendo sucks massively at the moment.

Every new first party or big 3DS game is released in pretty limited qualtities so that we have to (here in Aus) pay either the same price, or MORE for a $#@!ty digital version. $#@! that. I'll wait til Monster Hunter is used thanks

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Nintendo sucks massively at the moment.

Every new first party or big 3DS game is released in pretty limited qualtities so that we have to (here in Aus) pay either the same price, or MORE for a $#@!ty digital version. $#@! that. I'll wait til Monster Hunter is used thanks
    Wait until just before they archive the game and the price is essentially rock bottom and then buy.

Thread Information